• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Shaka to Michigan?

Yeah, but much more likely to get fired as a basketball coach than a tenured professor. Maya brings job security to the table.

Yeah, but much more likely to get fired as a basketball coach than a tenured professor. Maya brings job security to the table.

That's ridiculous. Her "security" is not anywhere near as good 2-3 years of having the money now and in much larger sums. Just because he could get fired doesn't mean the family loses the financial security of having all that cash up front rather than waiting decades to have it.

Under the premise of having a lifetime professorship, not having doesn't equal neither of them having a job during those years.

But her $18 million professorship buy out will set the Smart family up for life.

Hiring a big catch's spouse to some easy job is pretty common in academia, at least where I work.

Never heard of a full professorship without a PhD.

Oh it's certainly possible. There are several subfields where the terminal degree is not a PhD. Journalism is one of them.

But usually you have to be, like, long-serving and experienced and stuff.

The saddest thing is that RJ probably believes what he's saying is all true.

Typically, don't you have to be nationally distinguished or famous from your accomplishments in a field to get a professorship without a PhD?

Oh man, PhDeac could get another professorship for message board posting.

How jealous would RJ be then ?

Beilein was not demonstrably better than Skip when Skip was hired at Wake. A review of their resumes would give Prosser the edge for coaching in a higher level conference.

A year later Beilein moved to WVU. Then in 2007 Skip moved to heaven and Beilein went to Michigan.

Both were up and coming mid-major coaches as of the time Prosser was hired at Wake. Prosser had a better resume at THAT TIME. Beilein was not far behind. Beilein's earthly resume went on to be greater than Prosser's.

So, 29 teams didn't "whiff" on Tom Brady and the Trailblazers on MJ?

Hiring a big catch's spouse to some easy job is pretty common in academia, at least where I work.

Never heard of a full professorship without a PhD.

Yes, here we call it an “opportunity hire.” But we also have some profs without PhDs or even terminal degrees here.

So, 29 teams didn't "whiff" on Tom Brady and the Trailblazers on MJ?

Every team in the NFL whiffed on Brady. Every one did it multiple times. Some guys just develop more after college.

Yes, here we call it an “opportunity hire.” But we also have some profs without PhDs or even terminal degrees here.

Don't some areas not get Phds, like engineering?

Terminal hires? Are those you anticipate will die? Or do they hang out at train stations hooking?

Typically, don't you have to be nationally distinguished or famous from your accomplishments in a field to get a professorship without a PhD?

Like Maya Angelou or Nikki Giovanni. Yeah.

Like ITK said spousal hires are very common in academia. But the trailing spouse still has to be certain qualifications and have the right credentials.

Someone with an MA in sciences or engineering could get a research job in a lab. I can’t think of anything comparable to that in literature unless someone like Maya Angelou has funding for her own center for literary study or something like that.

Someone with an MA in sciences or engineering could get a research job in a lab. I can’t think of anything comparable to that in literature unless someone like Maya Angelou has funding for her own center for literary study or something like that.

Wake Forest's English department currently employs five faculty members -- Professors of the Practice -- in Journalism. None have PhDs.

Maya Smart could have very well been given one of these positions, especially in a non-permanent capacity, had she wanted it.

But the title is a misnomer. it would not be considered a "professorship," and it certainly wouldn't be a full professorship. It is unclear to me if any of these posts are tenure-line.

Wake Forest's English department currently employs five faculty members -- Professors of the Practice -- in Journalism. None have PhDs.

Maya Smart could have very well been given one of these positions, especially in a non-permanent capacity, had she wanted it.

But the title is a misnomer. it would not be considered a "professorship," and it certainly wouldn't be a full professorship. It is unclear to me if any of these posts are tenure-line.

So...Hatch did fuck Shaka?

Back