Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Billionaire pays off Morehouse graduating class’s student debt

I disagree with you
    The Earning Power of Philosophy Majors

It’s been said in many places before: A degree in the humanities isn’t exactly marketable to employers (less kind critics have called those degrees “useless”). But there’s one humanities major whose graduates are doing quite well in the job market—and it’s philosophy majors.

That’s one of the finding of a new report by PayScale.

Every year, the company surveys 1.4 million college alumni from over a thousand U.S. colleges on their employment and income. Although philosophy majors rank 75th on PayScale’s overall list of majors at mid-career earnings, it’s the top humanities bachelors degree in their ranking—from early career all the way to later career.
    worth noting that about 95% of the top 75 degrees are engineering-related degrees. so yeah, i think Philosophy scores pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconCav06 View Post
    You’re right. Logic and the ability to structure arguments aren’t a good skill set for lawyers to have. My mistake.
    They help, but aren't the primary skills necessary to succeed. And even if they were, I wouldn't put philosophy at the top of majors in which to grow them.

I disagree with you
    Quote Originally Posted by 2&2 Slider To Leyritz View Post
    They help, but aren't the primary skills necessary to succeed. And even if they were, I wouldn't put philosophy at the top of majors in which to grow them.
    what are the primary skills for a lawyer to succeed

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    Knowing when it's legal to fire a fecund woman.

worth noting that about 95% of the top 75 degrees are engineering-related degrees. so yeah, i think Philosophy scores pretty well
    Who the fuck else is taking the time to fill out some random online/email survey? Jesus H you guys will believe anything you see online.

#1 is the ability to question online statistics.

I disagree with you
    lol never change

As someone who took several courses in the philosophy department at Wake (though I didn't major in it), and is now a lawyer, I can confirm that studying philosophy helped me not one whit in taking the LSAT, finishing law school, or being a lawyer.

We’ve got a live one, folks.
    We're going to be good again.

I thought philosophy 101 at wake was interesting and an Easy A. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    I thought philosophy 101 at wake was interesting and an Easy A. Does that count?
    Not for me.

Took it my first semester. Back in that day, registration was an in person chaotic event where you went ‘round and ‘round to tables where upper class students helped you physically put your name on a paper list that seemed tobe “open” or “closed” sort of randomly and mysteriously.

A couple of classes I’d planned on taking were “closed” and an upper class chick, whose name I still remember, encouraged me to take philosophy. So I signed up and into Dr. Pritchard’s intro class. Now, he was a pretty smart and nice enough old dude. But I was not really prepared for that class at that time. Definitely would have been better to take later for me.
    I love mankind...it’s people I can’t stand!!

I took it with Ralph Kennedy who looks to still be at wake

Took Lewis. Sat in the front row.

Brilliant philosophy major checking in

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceCrewAllStar View Post
    Brilliant philosophy major checking in
    you broke and without skill, bro?
    We're going to be good again.

Elite NBA Defender
    Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
    Spends most of his time at the beach during that five week Chicago summer.

If everyone posts their major and comp we can settle this pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
    yeah but still smart

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Spends most of his time at the beach during that five week Chicago summer.
    are you coming to the Memorial Day beach cookout?

Quote Originally Posted by inspectah View Post
    As someone who took several courses in the philosophy department at Wake (though I didn't major in it), and is now a lawyer, I can confirm that studying philosophy helped me not one whit in taking the LSAT, finishing law school, or being a lawyer.
    So you have no insight on what impact being a philosophy major might have had.
    Hungry