• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Billionaire pays off Morehouse graduating class’s student debt

being pre-med =/= having a medical background

It is more of a medical background than philosophy, especially when the the following three years will be spent studying things more akin to philosophy than science. Law school can attempt to duplicate a philosophy major, it can't duplicate biochem.

Last edited:
Depends on what specialization the person wants to go into, but generally one that relates to that specialty. Law school itself (or Bar Bri, depending on your level of cynicism) should then layer the actual lawyer skills on top of that.

Construction law - engineering or architecture
Business law - business/management
Tax law - accounting
Banking law - finance
Criminal law - criminal justice
Environmental law - biology/chemistry
Medmal - pre-med
Car wrecks - physics
Municipal law - public administration

Philosophy is relatively low on the list of relevant subject matters unless the person wants to go into philosophical law, which isn't exactly in demand unless they want to be a professor.

If you have a physics or engineering degree you go intellectual property law - duh!

I’m sure all of those biology classes will be invaluable for the environmental lawyers poring over EPA regulations and the Administrative Procedure Act.

I’m sure all of those biology classes will be invaluable for the environmental lawyers poring over EPA regulations and the Administrative Procedure Act.

Or they could set an oil derrick on fire and be named by Trump to the head of the EPA.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...peaker-shocks-grads-promise-pay-student-loans

In the weeks before graduating from Morehouse on Sunday, 22-year-old finance major Aaron Mitchum drew up a spreadsheet to calculate how long it would take him to pay back his $200,000 in student loans — 25 years at half his monthly salary, per his calculations.

In an instant, that number vanished. Mitchum, sitting in the crowd, wept.

“I can delete that spreadsheet,” he said in an interview after the commencement. “I don’t have to live off of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I was shocked. My heart dropped. We all cried. In the moment it was like a burden had been taken off.” -Time

What is going unsaid is how can a school load up one of their student's with $200,000 debt - that's $50k/year. The average graduating student had $100,000 of debt. I applaud Mr Smith, but the school is laughing all the way to the bank. The can is being kicked down the road. Nothing is solved. School's still gouging their students. This one class got Jubilee.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019...peaker-shocks-grads-promise-pay-student-loans

What is going unsaid is how can a school load up one of their student's with $200,000 debt - that's $50k/year. The average graduating student had $100,000 of debt. I applaud Mr Smith, but the school is laughing all the way to the bank. The can is being kicked down the road. Nothing is solved. School's still gouging their students. This one class got Jubilee.

WTF are you talking about? The school had been paid by the banks already. When the students took their loans, the money goes to the college. Then, the students pay the banks back not the college. This didn't impact the bottom line of Morehouse other than to possibly get more donations from graduates.

Why are focusing on Morehouse? Wake costs almost 50% more. Shouldn't you be more outraged at Wake's costs?

WTF are you talking about? The school had been paid by the banks already. When the students took their loans, the money goes to the college. Then, the students pay the banks back not the college. This didn't impact the bottom line of Morehouse other than to possibly get more donations from graduates.

Why are focusing on Morehouse? Wake costs almost 50% more. Shouldn't you be more outraged at Wake's costs?

the bank gets paid.
the school gets paid.
everyone cheers for a minute

and there's like a whole thread of people complaining about the cost of WFU and basically a generation of alums saying they wouldn't bother sending their kid there b/c of the cost

25 years x 12 months/years = 300 months. $200,000/300 = $666/month. $666 x 2 = $1,333/month. $1,333 x 12 = $15,000/year.

That finance degree isn't very good.

25 years x 12 months/years = 300 months. $200,000/300 = $666/month. $666 x 2 = $1,333/month. $1,333 x 12 = $15,000/year.

That finance degree isn't very good.

You're forgetting about interest, but it still doesn't work out to a very remarkable starting salary.

Back