Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GOP Congressman calls Trumpís conduct impeachable

Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    Posrep for Justin Amash.

EV.com had an interesting suggestion this a.m. If Amash sees reelection as futile, why not instead run for president as the Lib candidate (he's a Libertarian type of Pub). If Gary Johnson can get 4.5%, why not Amash?

Fuck libertarians

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    EV.com had an interesting suggestion this a.m. If Amash sees reelection as futile, why not instead run for president as the Lib candidate (he's a Libertarian type of Pub). If Gary Johnson can get 4.5%, why not Amash?
    How is that an interesting question? Why would an incumbent House rep run to get 4.5% of the vote? Even one who thinks he won't win a primary. At least run first.

Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    Fuck libertarians
    This is the way I look at it. You figure pretty much all of the Green Party votes would otherwise go to the Dem nominee, and the large majority of Libertarian votes would otherwise go to the Pub nominee. I'd rather have an establishment Pub or Libertarian leaner vote Dem, but if they're not going to vote Dem, it's better than they vote 3rd party than for Trump. And strong 3rd party candidates have made a difference before. Perot largely cost Bush the 1992 election, and Nader cost Gore the 2000 election. So before I say fuck Libertarians, I say Fuck Nader and Stein.

If you didnít vote for Hillary in 2016 and/or wonít vote for the Democrat in 2020, you are a disgrace.

If you didnít vote for Hillary in 2016 and/or wonít vote for the Democrat in 2020, you are a disgrace.
    For the record, I voted for Hillary in 2016 and plan on voting Dem in 2020. I was merely pointing out that if the Libertarian candidate can get 5% or so, that will mostly be coming from folks who would otherwise vote for Trump. So to the extent there are way more Lib votes than Green votes, that is somewhat helpful to the Dem candidate.

Voting for a Democrat in Alabama doesn't matter. There are some geographies where third party votes have zero consequences. Having said that, I voted for Hillary in 2016, tried to convince everyone I knew to vote for her and even convinced my libertarian sister in NC to trade votes me (i.e., She votes for Hillary and I vote for Johnson) and then I voted for Hillary anyway. I wrote Johnson in for mayor, or some shit, to clear my conscious. There was no excuse in 2016 and there should be none in 2020. Dems need to make that case though, convince the greens and libertarian to vote Dem and Amash should endorse who ever the Dem nominee is and campaign for them, not run him self as a independent or third partier.
    Birds are real.

Quote Originally Posted by cville deac View Post
    This is the way I look at it. You figure pretty much all of the Green Party votes would otherwise go to the Dem nominee, and the large majority of Libertarian votes would otherwise go to the Pub nominee. I'd rather have an establishment Pub or Libertarian leaner vote Dem, but if they're not going to vote Dem, it's better than they vote 3rd party than for Trump. And strong 3rd party candidates have made a difference before. Perot largely cost Bush the 1992 election, and Nader cost Gore the 2000 election. So before I say fuck Libertarians, I say Fuck Nader and Stein.
    I donít understand why this is so hard to understand. The vast majority of Green Party voters arenít going to be voting for Democrats. Republicans tend to seriously vote third party; Democrats usually just stay home. Third party votes on the left just arenít the protest votes yíall make them out to be.

And you can believe that and still agree with Barcaís sentiment above
    We're going to be good again.

Justin Amash quits Republican Party, saying U.S. is in a 'partisan death spiral'/

Last edited by deactherunner; 07-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Robert O'Kelley
    Hard to disagree about the partisan death spiral.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    Yeah. But itís not as ďboth sidesĒ as he portrays and becoming an independent definitely wonít change it.

The solution to the parties is to change them from the inside.

So, the number of Congressional Republicans with a semblance of a backbone just dropped back to zero. Trump is already celebrating on twitter. Apparently, having even one Republican in Congress who is willing to publicly stand up to Trump and call him out is one too many.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    So, the number of Congressional Republicans with a semblance of a backbone just dropped back to zero. Trump is already celebrating on twitter. Apparently, having even one Republican in Congress who is willing to publicly stand up to Trump and call him out is one too many.
    :

The tweet NED linked in the other thread has been deleted. While trying to figure out what it was, I came across this-probably not what every was replying to, so I posted it here

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    Purity in the party. Not of policy mind you, but of loyalty.

Robert O'Kelley
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Yeah. But itís not as ďboth sidesĒ as he portrays and becoming an independent definitely wonít change it.

The solution to the parties is to change them from the inside.

Oh, definitely.

Pubs (as Iíve indicated here for years now) are mainly to blame for our present dangerous dysfunction.

Not sure how they (or we) can recover.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

Is there any evidence Amash is against some of the mechanisms that have enabled this current GOP like gerrymandering and the EC?

Good Vox interview with Amash from July 3 before he published his op-ed.
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ty-republicans

Jane Coaston

But I think the fact that a Republican is suggesting that companies, private companies, submit to the government that they are being neutral ó not just the government, but to unelected FTC commissioners ó that is an inherently unconservative idea.
    Justin Amash

Well, it depends on what you mean by conservatism. It is more like Trumpís brand of conservatism, which is again, something very different. Itís nationalism and populism and again, a sense of victimization, like the rest of society is coming after us and weíve got to defend ourselves against that at all costs.

A lot of Trump Republicans have this mindset that they have to fight this all out war against the left. And if they have to use big government to do it, theyíre perfectly fine with that. So when I go to Twitter and talk about overspending or the size of the government, I get a lot of reactions now from Trump supporters saying, ďWho cares how big the government isĒ, or ďWho cares how much weíre spending as long as weíre fighting against illegal immigration and pushing back against the left.Ē
    Last edited by PhDeac; 07-05-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Amash: 'High-level' Republicans privately thanked me for supporting Trump impeachment

"When I was discussing impeachment I had fellow colleagues and other Republicans, high-level officials, contacting me and saying thank you for what youíre doing," he added. "So there are lots of Republicans out there saying these things privately, but there not saying it publicly, and I think thatís a problem for our country.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...pporting-trump