• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GOP Congressman calls Trump’s conduct impeachable

EV.com had an interesting suggestion this a.m. If Amash sees reelection as futile, why not instead run for president as the Lib candidate (he's a Libertarian type of Pub). If Gary Johnson can get 4.5%, why not Amash?

EV.com had an interesting suggestion this a.m. If Amash sees reelection as futile, why not instead run for president as the Lib candidate (he's a Libertarian type of Pub). If Gary Johnson can get 4.5%, why not Amash?

How is that an interesting question? Why would an incumbent House rep run to get 4.5% of the vote? Even one who thinks he won't win a primary. At least run first.

Fuck libertarians

This is the way I look at it. You figure pretty much all of the Green Party votes would otherwise go to the Dem nominee, and the large majority of Libertarian votes would otherwise go to the Pub nominee. I'd rather have an establishment Pub or Libertarian leaner vote Dem, but if they're not going to vote Dem, it's better than they vote 3rd party than for Trump. And strong 3rd party candidates have made a difference before. Perot largely cost Bush the 1992 election, and Nader cost Gore the 2000 election. So before I say fuck Libertarians, I say Fuck Nader and Stein.

If you didn’t vote for Hillary in 2016 and/or won’t vote for the Democrat in 2020, you are a disgrace.

If you didn’t vote for Hillary in 2016 and/or won’t vote for the Democrat in 2020, you are a disgrace.

For the record, I voted for Hillary in 2016 and plan on voting Dem in 2020. I was merely pointing out that if the Libertarian candidate can get 5% or so, that will mostly be coming from folks who would otherwise vote for Trump. So to the extent there are way more Lib votes than Green votes, that is somewhat helpful to the Dem candidate.

Voting for a Democrat in Alabama doesn't matter. There are some geographies where third party votes have zero consequences. Having said that, I voted for Hillary in 2016, tried to convince everyone I knew to vote for her and even convinced my libertarian sister in NC to trade votes me (i.e., She votes for Hillary and I vote for Johnson) and then I voted for Hillary anyway. I wrote Johnson in for mayor, or some shit, to clear my conscious. There was no excuse in 2016 and there should be none in 2020. Dems need to make that case though, convince the greens and libertarian to vote Dem and Amash should endorse who ever the Dem nominee is and campaign for them, not run him self as a independent or third partier.

This is the way I look at it. You figure pretty much all of the Green Party votes would otherwise go to the Dem nominee, and the large majority of Libertarian votes would otherwise go to the Pub nominee. I'd rather have an establishment Pub or Libertarian leaner vote Dem, but if they're not going to vote Dem, it's better than they vote 3rd party than for Trump. And strong 3rd party candidates have made a difference before. Perot largely cost Bush the 1992 election, and Nader cost Gore the 2000 election. So before I say fuck Libertarians, I say Fuck Nader and Stein.

I don’t understand why this is so hard to understand. The vast majority of Green Party voters aren’t going to be voting for Democrats. Republicans tend to seriously vote third party; Democrats usually just stay home. Third party votes on the left just aren’t the protest votes y’all make them out to be.

And you can believe that and still agree with Barca’s sentiment above

Hard to disagree about the partisan death spiral.

Yeah. But it’s not as “both sides” as he portrays and becoming an independent definitely won’t change it.

The solution to the parties is to change them from the inside.

So, the number of Congressional Republicans with a semblance of a backbone just dropped back to zero. Trump is already celebrating on twitter. Apparently, having even one Republican in Congress who is willing to publicly stand up to Trump and call him out is one too many.

So, the number of Congressional Republicans with a semblance of a backbone just dropped back to zero. Trump is already celebrating on twitter. Apparently, having even one Republican in Congress who is willing to publicly stand up to Trump and call him out is one too many.

:tard::moose::

The tweet NED linked in the other thread has been deleted. While trying to figure out what it was, I came across this-probably not what every was replying to, so I posted it here

D-qqQbeXUAAtbbr.jpg:large
[/IMG]

Purity in the party. Not of policy mind you, but of loyalty.

Hard to disagree about the partisan death spiral.

Yeah. But it’s not as “both sides” as he portrays and becoming an independent definitely won’t change it.

The solution to the parties is to change them from the inside.

Oh, definitely.

Pubs (as I’ve indicated here for years now) are mainly to blame for our present dangerous dysfunction.

Not sure how they (or we) can recover.

Is there any evidence Amash is against some of the mechanisms that have enabled this current GOP like gerrymandering and the EC?

Good Vox interview with Amash from July 3 before he published his op-ed.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...h-trump-impeachment-gop-tea-party-republicans

[h=4]Jane Coaston[/h] But I think the fact that a Republican is suggesting that companies, private companies, submit to the government that they are being neutral — not just the government, but to unelected FTC commissioners — that is an inherently unconservative idea.
[h=4]Justin Amash[/h] Well, it depends on what you mean by conservatism. It is more like Trump’s brand of conservatism, which is again, something very different. It’s nationalism and populism and again, a sense of victimization, like the rest of society is coming after us and we’ve got to defend ourselves against that at all costs.

A lot of Trump Republicans have this mindset that they have to fight this all out war against the left. And if they have to use big government to do it, they’re perfectly fine with that. So when I go to Twitter and talk about overspending or the size of the government, I get a lot of reactions now from Trump supporters saying, “Who cares how big the government is”, or “Who cares how much we’re spending as long as we’re fighting against illegal immigration and pushing back against the left.”

Last edited:
Amash: 'High-level' Republicans privately thanked me for supporting Trump impeachment

"When I was discussing impeachment I had fellow colleagues and other Republicans, high-level officials, contacting me and saying thank you for what you’re doing," he added. "So there are lots of Republicans out there saying these things privately, but there not saying it publicly, and I think that’s a problem for our country.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/...ans-privately-thanked-me-for-supporting-trump

Back