• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC's Honeymoon with Brown continues

DeacAssured

Reaction score
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article230034904.html

Not entirely convinced this story required or deserved this much ink or adulation but it is the well paved Carolina Way for Brown. As always, Chapel Hill remains the center of the universe in the minds of those who walk the Carolina Way and they're looking for a new King to lead the parade. As the assistant coach said paraphrasing: If Brown were selling religion he would have his own cult.

I certainly have no expectations for that level of adulation for Coach Clawson given the Carolina Way influence within the two Observers dominating the big cities of North Carolina. Still, Charlotte is a safe 2.5 hour drive from Chapel Hill while Winston-Salem is much closer. Heck, W-S folks suffer the drive to Charlotte and Raleigh just to fly out of state weekly! Certainly, the folks at the two Observers remember Wake Forest IS in the State of North Carolina.

But how long is the wait for that much positive ink for Coach Clawson (or more importantly the Deacons) beyond the Triad?

Last edited:
Charlotte to Chapel Hill is 2:15. One can almost drive from Charlotte to Greenville, NC in 3.5 hours.

never-addicted-to-one-thing-i-was-addicted-to-filling-25957651.png

Brown is nothing more than a has been coach who wanted to retire in his wife's hometown. He also has hired two leaky wake coaches, and he had tons of players in the AFAM program in his last go round.

Brown is nothing more than a has been coach who wanted to retire in his wife's hometown. He also has hired two leaky wake coaches, and he had tons of players in the AFAM program in his last go round.

Any indication this won't continue?

Would be very interested to hear Coach Clawson’s unfiltered commentary about Brown employing the WakeyLeaks coaches. To Brown’s “credit” his WakeyLeaks hires reflect the same standards for integrity as set by Carolina’s football program under Butch Davis. It’s not a very high bar. Carolina parents and players fit right in with the expediency so long as they are near the spotlight in Chapel Hill.

We'll see. He's recruiting like a champ so far. It starts with good players.

He was hired to groom a successor within the next 5 years.

Would be very interested to hear Coach Clawson’s unfiltered commentary about Brown employing the WakeyLeaks coaches. To Brown’s “credit” his WakeyLeaks hires reflect the same standards for integrity as set by Carolina’s football program under Butch Davis. It’s not a very high bar. Carolina parents and players fit right in with the expediency so long as they are near the spotlight in Chapel Hill.

Two "Wakeyleaks" coaches plus hiring one of the analysts from the 2018 Wake staff puts him in a strong position to know Wake next fall.

Couple that with recruits knowing that their academic workload should be light, thanks to the NCAA and Southern States accrediting body giving uNC a pass on the fake classes issue should make recruiting easy for him. Fine for the 10%. Bad for the 90%.

The percentages are the rough split of the players finishing eligibility at D1 schools vs the number of rookies making NFL 53 man opening day rosters.

130 FBS schools, roughly 20 per year per school = 2600 players. NFL opening day 53 man rosters had a total of 256 rookies. Practice squads would give a few more guys football jobs. FCS and D2 guys would fill part of the 256 rookie spots.

So for about 90% of FBS college football players, life after college football would more than likely be better with a decent college degree, not a fake one. But try convincing teenagers they are part of the 90% and not part of the 10%.

Putting Mack aside for a minute, the UNC game worries me a lot. Goes without saying that we all really want that one, but I fear it could be an L.

Putting Mack aside for a minute, the UNC game worries me a lot. Goes without saying that we all really want that one, but I fear it could be an L.

uNC may have more insight into Wake than any other team Wake plays. A former Wake coach, a coach who was given Wake plays and an analyst from the 2018 Wake staff will give the baby blue much greater knowledge of Wake's staff thinking than any other opponent will have.

From all I have heard, Brown was hired to calm the turmoil in UNC's athletic department. I remember a friend of mine telling me not to be surprised if Brown was the next coach the day Fedora was fired because he was smooth things out.

I think he will recruit fairly well just because of his history, but I don't know if he has the fire to really coach again. I thought he was done after Texas.

I give Brown his due and do not underestimate. Whenever his name and Carolina’s arises the Deacs and Clawson should see red!

Back