• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC's Honeymoon with Brown continues

From yesterday and today's Business NC magazine's online Daily Digest:

Good morning everyone,
This weekend I was back in the Triangle to attend the UNC Chapel Hill vs. Clemson football game. To recap, the Tar Heels lost 20-21 when we couldn’t pull off a two-point conversion with a little over a minute left in the game. It was disappointing because we were so close to pulling off the upset of the year. Despite the result, I’m very excited about the program and rest of the season.
Some might say the performance is mostly about the defending national champions playing poorly, but I don’t think so. Over the last two years, only three teams have held Clemson to 21 points or less in a game — Alabama, Auburn and UNC. The Heels lost to Appalachian State, one of the state's most underrated programs, and Wake Forest, which has a 5-0 record this year and is ranked 22nd nationally. But both those games were within one score. Not bad for a coach adjusting to a different team and implementing a new system, especially with a freshman quarterback, Sam Howell, who was playing for Union County's Sun Valley High School last year at this time.

I’m not saying we’ll win a (football) national championship anytime soon —basketball season is just around the corner and we’re looking pretty good there. But Mack is back and I think we’ll surprise plenty of people.

Go Heels!
Harrison Miller
A Mountaineer's view of the Heels
My colleague Harrison Miller's note yesterday about his beloved Tar Heel's near-miss against mighty Clemson on the gridiron Saturday riled up some Digest readers. It seems love for UNC Chapel Hill teams isn't universal. 😀

One old friend, a long-time N.C. businessman, thought the emphasis needs to be on his favorite Appalachian State University Mountaineers after their recent football victory over the Tar Heels.
Two weeks ago, the Mountaineers "Got the Goat" ... and in their own playpen to boot. Some have celebrated the win with the same enthusiasm that captured the High Country after the 2007 win over Michigan, which is widely regarded as the greatest upset in college football history.

The Mountaineers never thought they were the greatest, or that simply being a Mountaineer gave the team or the University an exalted throne of importance. They were joyous, yes. They were appreciative, yes. Did they feel a little lucky, yes. Did they assume they could ride on that victory of yesteryear or this most recent victory against the Tar Heels forever? No. Appalachians in every corner of the campus and in every mind and heart get up everyday, put on their big boy pants, and go to work. Of course, it always feels good when the home team wins, but when you knock off the arrogant and the entitled, the win is in some ways too sweet for the victor's own good.

^^^^

Sounds like it’s time for a Wake alum to add some comments

Yeah, but he almost beat Clemson...and he's possibly maybe the 3rd best team in his own state!!!

Possibly, maybe, but not definitely.
The UNC - Duke game should be interesting.

Tarheels line up in overtime to kick field goal.
15 seconds left on play clock.
Brown calls time out.
Ices his own kicker.
Kicker misses.
UNC goes on to lose.
CLASSIC! !

Last edited:
Brown calls time out.
Ices his own kicker.
Kicker misses.
UNC goes on to loose.
CLASSIC! !

And fails to call TO before play clock ran out moving FG try from @39 to @44. Nice work Mack! But he continued clapping like a madman.

Brown calls time out.
Ices his own kicker.
Kicker misses.
UNC goes on to loose.
CLASSIC! !

That was the funniest damn thing that I have ever seen. I laughed for about an hour. Can't wait to needle several of my Tarhole buddies this morning. :rofl:

Guys, I think UNC might not get invited to the CFB playoffs.

Brown says he called the timeout so he could tell the kicker if he made it he we would get any date he wanted. I'm sure this scholarship football player likes getting dating advise from a hundred year old fossil.

Brown says he called the timeout so he could tell the kicker if he made it he we would get any date he wanted. I'm sure this scholarship football player likes getting dating advise from a hundred year old fossil.

he actually said that? Wow.
Taggart iced his own kicker in our game, too. Hopefully a trend that all our opponents pick up on.

“Coach, I can swipe right anytime I want.”

Brown calls time out.
Ices his own kicker.
Kicker misses.
UNC goes on to lose.
CLASSIC! !

Mack has now fucked up at least 5 end of half situations this year. He's a walking imbecile, but he's going to beat our (State's) ass in November.

he actually said that? Wow.
Taggart iced his own kicker in our game, too. Hopefully a trend that all our opponents pick up on.

Head's up for the State game- we have an unflappable kicker, you can't ice him. Unfortunately, he's the only offense we have, so it won't really matter when you guys are up by 24... in the second quarter.

Back