• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC's Honeymoon with Brown continues

Strnard On Carolina and other topics: https://247sports.com/college/wake-...r-Justin-Strnad-says-in-QA-Part-2--133829669/

On facing UNC in a non-conference game
Strnad: “From what I hear, it’s a pretty big rivalry in North Carolina. I look forward to playing them. It’s going to be a nationally televised game. I’m looking forward to taking the field against them this year. My redshirt year was when we traveled to Chapel Hill to play them, so I wasn’t playing. They whooped us pretty good, so I look forward to getting that one back this year.”

Last edited:
Brown isn’t stealing many Clemson level recruits any time soon until he demonstrates game winning talent.
Respecting Brown for past successes makes sense but NC HS coaches aren’t going to ignore Doeren, Clawson or Cutcliffe just because Brown has landed at age 67 at Chapel Hill. Historically the Carolina fan base has been quick to run to the exits upon signs of bumps in the road. Expect more of same from them. UNC while loaded with talent has a long history of failure which is a Mount Everest to climb with an old coach leading the expedition.
This.

Quite honestly, right now Brown's "past success respect" is in the same honeymoon that Danny Manning started out with.
Manning, as we all should know, got lots of attention and respect from parents and H.S./Prep coaches that were generational peers of his in recruiting their top level players. Then... it started to not matter.
Because he can't coach to save his ass. [Negotiating buyouts however...]
Sure, Danny still gets some pro forma "consideration" here and there, but that's all it is.
When Mack fails to resurrect the Holes, the same thing is going to happen to him. I'm not saying the two are in exactly the same situation; they aren't... and Mack *DOES* get that State University Bump. But, his successes at UNC and, increasingly, Texas were a long time ago now. Not to mention, State and Wake (for that matter, Duke too) are much stronger programs than back then.

Last edited:
No mistake at all. They needed butts in chairs and they are getting it with Mack. People remember him and love him. He did a whale of a job when he was here last time and had them ranked as high as 4th in the country [getting passed over for a New Year's Day bowl for 8th ranked K-State I believe]. Then he left. No he did not win an ACC title but he had them at 20 wins in two seasons and on top of the world. Their last ACC title was around 1980. Mack gets to know every single high school coach in the state and will have that locked up. He will have Doeren boxed out soon. He has a good coaching staff. Better get him now before they load up with talent.

He is a stop-gap coach but will do one helluva job and right their ship!

Lolz

According to 247 both NCSU and UNC have 5 commits in the top 30 of NC. With State taking a small class and UNC having the full bore Mack Is Back!!! hype train. Let the great box out begin!

If UNC fans (or any other fan base) think that any 1 school is going to get the majority of the kids from NC to go to one and only one school i've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell them. Doeren, Clawson, Cutt, and whoever ever is the coach at UT, VT, Clemson, and SC will ensure that is not how it's going to play out.

Last edited:
Seriously, does anyone believe Saban or Swinney (and the others) are the least bit concerned about Brown out recruiting them or out coaching them?

Seriously, does anyone believe Saban or Swinney (and the others) are the least bit concerned about Brown out recruiting them or out coaching them?
Considering that they were already doing that *TO* Brown when Brown retired...
/giggles

Well, nobody is going to out-recruit/out-coach Saban and Swinney's staffs. This issue we are concerned with is whether Brown can out-recruit/out-coach the rest of us.

^ correct. There are a lot of good FB players in NC, but there is a lot of competition for those players. State recruited NC very well during the Fedora era since he focused elsewhere. Brown is changing that. It remains to be seen how much that changes, for how long, and how the on field results change.

Some 4* kids in North Carolina will join Mack and the cheaters because they (and generations of their families) grew up tarhole fans. All he has to do is make the offers.

Well, nobody is going to out-recruit/out-coach Saban and Swinney's staffs. This issue we are concerned with is whether Brown can out-recruit/out-coach the rest of us.
He isn't going to win the recruiting battles against Bama or Klempsun. He can't out coach Clawson. He will get more in state kids while Clawson, Doeren and Cutcliffe keep recruiting in a wider footprint. These three will still get NC kids, and good ones. But when some suggest/imply he will be in contention for CFP in his third or fourth year, I chuckle without worrying about crows.

Raleigh paper announced today that UNC had sold out of season tickets. Think the number was around 29,000 of the 51,000 seats at Kenan. Game day tix for App St. and Clemson sold out-expect a lot of those sales when to App St. and Clemson fans too.

Raleigh paper announced today that UNC had sold out of season tickets. Think the number was around 29,000 of the 51,000 seats at Kenan. Game day tix for App St. and Clemson sold out-expect a lot of those sales when to App St. and Clemson fans too.

So why only sell a little over half of the seats as "season tickets?". Why not sell out the whole place? Maybe this is done at other places, but "selling out," only meaning they've solid 56% of tickets for the season, is not quite as impressive(though an improvement from recent years).

So why only sell a little over half of the seats as "season tickets?". Why not sell out the whole place? Maybe this is done at other places, but "selling out," only meaning they've solid 56% of tickets for the season, is not quite as impressive(though an improvement from recent years).

NC State sold just under 32,000 season tickets for Carter Finley two years ago and it was the highest season ticket sales ever at that point and seats about 57-58,000. The SEC we are not.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article148578154.html

See this Clemson article-they are probably the closest thing to SEC. They sold all but 8,000 seats to season ticket holders as they had to have visitors seats available-so I guess technically nobody can sellout the stadium to season ticket holders.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...-football-2018-attendance-stadium/1298253001/

Edit-as a curiosity I asked our ticket guy and he said we consider a season ticket sellout at around 20,000 of the 31,500 capacity at BB&T.

Last edited:
NC State sold just under 32,000 season tickets for Carter Finley two years ago and it was the highest season ticket sales ever at that point and seats about 57-58,000. The SEC we are not.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article148578154.html

See this Clemson article-they are probably the closest thing to SEC. They sold all but 8,000 seats to season ticket holders as they had to have visitors seats available-so I guess technically nobody can sellout the stadium to season ticket holders.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...-football-2018-attendance-stadium/1298253001/

Edit-as a curiosity I asked our ticket guy and he said we consider a season ticket sellout at around 20,000 of the 31,500 capacity at BB&T.

So we have higher standards for what constitutes a season ticker sellout than UNC.

Back