• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UNC's Honeymoon with Brown continues

Fedora was a prick - Brown will make big improvements in NC recruiting because he isn't Fedora and most of those NC high school coaches remember the 'glory days' right before Mack left for UT.

NC State sold just under 32,000 season tickets for Carter Finley two years ago and it was the highest season ticket sales ever at that point and seats about 57-58,000. The SEC we are not.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article148578154.html

See this Clemson article-they are probably the closest thing to SEC. They sold all but 8,000 seats to season ticket holders as they had to have visitors seats available-so I guess technically nobody can sellout the stadium to season ticket holders.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...-football-2018-attendance-stadium/1298253001/

Edit-as a curiosity I asked our ticket guy and he said we consider a season ticket sellout at around 20,000 of the 31,500 capacity at BB&T.

Thanks, I was curious about what we would do. I know you need to reserve enough for the visitors (I thought the number was 3500, but I see that increased to 4300), but I don't know why you would not just sell out all the other seats before the season starts if you could. I guess Clemson basically does and I know we did in basketball back in CP3's days.

Last edited:
if we're going to keep this thread on the front page, can we at least change the title?

I suggest:

UNC still has a void
There's a void between Mack Brown's ears
I voided into Mack Brown's mouth

Thanks, I was curious about what we would do. I know you need to reserve enough for the visitors (I thought the number was 3500, but I see that increased to 4300), but I don't know why you would not just sell out all the other seats before the season starts if you could. I guess Clemson basically does and I know we did in basketball back in CP3's days.

You hold seats for visitors, student seats, program use....there are a lot of reasons why a "season ticket sellout" number doesn't come anywhere close to the venue's capacity. Most schools in the SEC/Big Ten actually sell student season tickets for a reduced fee (that I suppose they could count in their season ticket number) while most of the schools in the ACC do not (they are usually free based on a student athletics/activity fee that is part of your tuition and fees).

So we have higher standards for what constitutes a season ticker sellout than UNC.

71: And as is well understood by most, WF consistently works to maintain MUCH higher standards than UNCCH. :)

Last edited:
Mack Brown is an old dude. Way out of touch. I wouldn't want him at Wake. But he will build some decent teams at UNC. With the shit show that is unc I don't think this is a bad hire. The hire to worry about is the next one. I don't think ole Mack will bring them to national prominence but he will make them relevant again. It's their next hire that is interesting to me.

Fedora was a prick - Brown will make big improvements in NC recruiting because he isn't Fedora and most of those NC high school coaches remember the 'glory days' right before Mack left for UT.

Matt Brown left the UNC in December of 1997. I’d be shocked if 15 to 20% of the high school coaches who are coaching now were coaches in North Carolina in 1997. Maybe he will build new relationships, but suggest he has a bunch of old ones that he can used to secure recruits is silly.

NC State sold just under 32,000 season tickets for Carter Finley two years ago and it was the highest season ticket sales ever at that point and seats about 57-58,000. The SEC we are not.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/state-now/article148578154.html

See this Clemson article-they are probably the closest thing to SEC. They sold all but 8,000 seats to season ticket holders as they had to have visitors seats available-so I guess technically nobody can sellout the stadium to season ticket holders.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/st...-football-2018-attendance-stadium/1298253001/

Edit-as a curiosity I asked our ticket guy and he said we consider a season ticket sellout at around 20,000 of the 31,500 capacity at BB&T.

31500 excludes the Hill, I believe, and Wake sells 3-4K hill tickets. So that's more like 20k out of 34k. Actually, Hill tix are sold as season tix and sell out, so it's more like 23500 out of 34000

Last edited:
Mack Brown is an old dude. Way out of touch. I wouldn't want him at Wake. But he will build some decent teams at UNC. With the shit show that is unc I don't think this is a bad hire. The hire to worry about is the next one. I don't think ole Mack will bring them to national prominence but he will make them relevant again. It's their next hire that is interesting to me.

TF, that is exactly all they want from Mack. He will not bring them all the way back to their glory days but he is one good stop-gap to get them close and stop the bleeding they had going on. They have now sold out of season tickets so already they have butts in chairs and the excitement is building. This probably won't be but a 4 win season but that is double what last year was. And Mack has already plugged the recruiting holes in the state with all the high school coaches that had stopped listening to Hat Man. Mack was a master last time he was here at getting in all the high schools and getting the families to listen to him. He will close out Doeren on many prospects.

TF, that is exactly all they want from Mack. He will not bring them all the way back to their glory days but he is one good stop-gap to get them close and stop the bleeding they had going on. They have now sold out of season tickets so already they have butts in chairs and the excitement is building. This probably won't be but a 4 win season but that is double what last year was. And Mack has already plugged the recruiting holes in the state with all the high school coaches that had stopped listening to Hat Man. Mack was a master last time he was here at getting in all the high schools and getting the families to listen to him. He will close out Doeren on many prospects.

Keep carrying the water and spouting the propaganda my man.

Matt Brown left the UNC in December of 1997. I’d be shocked if 15 to 20% of the high school coaches who are coaching now were coaches in North Carolina in 1997. Maybe he will build new relationships, but suggest he has a bunch of old ones that he can used to secure recruits is silly.

I didn't say they had a relationship with Mack. I said they remember the glory days as LIFE LONG, BANDWAGON UNC fans, who graduated from UNCG or some other small school with their teaching degree and got into coaching.

Mack makes relationships with high school coaches a priority - inviting them to games, clinics and practices. For example, UNC was recruiting a 4 star at our local high school - Fedora flew in on his helicopter and watched the kid for 10 minutes, then left without talking to anyone else. Mack has already invited the coach to the spring game and a game this fall, knew the coach by his first name and visited the school. This coach is from NJ, but likes how Mack is involved in recruiting.

Mack's an old-school bull#### artist. He will get more NC recruits than Fedora.

Remember when Butch Davis was going to turn UNC into the early 2000s Miami football? How'd that work out? No less than 5 losses in any season, with only a Music City Bowl victory to show for it, along with tons of negative press about paying players and academic cheating.

People like flattery and attention. Mack will give the NC HS coaches that. He will get recruits from it. There are many in North Carolina who lean baby blue. Because the coach there now isn't an asshole, more good players in state will go there.

Back to football: https://www.bloggersodear.com/2019/7/31/20747865/wake-forest-vs-unc-preview

Where UNC will have to thrive hinges on them being able to stop the run this year and be able to run the ball themselves. If they can slow down Cade Carney, Christian Beal-Smith, and whoever is the starting QB at this point of the season on the ground, then it plays into their hand of having a substantially better pass rush and secondary and get Wake off the field on 3rd downs. UNC also was decent running the ball. All three running backs combined for 20 carries a game, 6.1 YPC and had a 46% success rate. Wake had their fair share of giving up explosive plays across the entire year, but especially to running backs.
All in all, while on paper it looks like the Deacs are made for this matchup, rivalry games always are one to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Back