• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black at Wake

I thought the whole purpose of admitting so many kids from the top 1% was to give out more scholarships to increase diversity on campus and offset the cost of attendance for those applicants. Guess that's not working out as planned.

If I read the News and Observer article correctly, Wake has a higher percentage of black students than UNC.

If I read the News and Observer article correctly, Wake has a higher percentage of black students than UNC.

This is correct. Based on the stats at the end of the article in the first post, of the top 30 schools in the country, Wake has the 5th highest percentage of black students.

Keep in mind what those percentages actually mean though. We’re talking 3,000 students at UNC-CH versus 500 at Wake. It’s not the same thing in terms of a community.

Keep in mind what those percentages actually mean though. We’re talking 3,000 students at UNC-CH versus 500 at Wake. It’s not the same thing in terms of a community.

Seriously. It’s weird to be at an institution where all the black people don’t know each other even all these years after leaving Wake.

I thought the whole purpose of admitting so many kids from the top 1% was to give out more scholarships to increase diversity on campus and offset the cost of attendance for those applicants. Guess that's not working out as planned.

...and to continue to be pretty generous to children of parents employed by msd.

All that is likely factored in to a planned percentage of students/parents paying full fare.

Seriously. It’s weird to be at an institution where all the black people don’t know each other even all these years after leaving Wake.

Keep in mind, Wake is quite a bit different from when you were a student. The size of the school has increased by 25%. The percentage of white students when you graduated was 90% and it now is 70%. The number of Asian students has increased 10 fold (from 1% to 11%) and number of Hispanic students 7 fold (from 1% to 7%).

Keep in mind, Wake is quite a bit different from when you were a student. The size of the school has increased by 25%. The percentage of white students when you graduated was 90% and it now is 70%. The number of Asian students has increased 10 fold (from 1% to 11%) and number of Hispanic students 7 fold (from 1% to 7%).

The faculty have also changed. When you graduated, 1/3 were women and 90% were white. Now, half are women and 80% white.

The numbers are also more dramatically skewed by athletics given the smaller size of the overall student population.

The class of 2006 had just north of 1000 students as of August 2002 and the statistic I heard was there were 5 black males that were not associated with athletics. At least one of the 5 students left before graduating.

Those are pretty terrible statistics.

death, taxes, and rafi going to bat for the public perception of Wake Forest on the internet

Yeah. There were more black men in athletics than not when I was there too.

Let’s put it like this. Wake has a little over 5000 undergrads. At least 50 football players are black. Over 1% of the undergrad population is black football players. Compare that to UNC where the football team is a tiny part of the undergrad population.

For those interested, here is the list of the top 30 schools, organized by the percentage of black students:

Emory University, Atlanta (21) — 12.3%, 43.3% (15
Vanderbilt University, Nashville (14) — 10.1%, 35.9% (25)
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore (10) — 10.0%, 43.8% (16)
Duke University, Durham (8) — 9.5%, 40.3% (22)
Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem (27) — 9.4%, 24.5% (32)
Georgetown University, Washington DC (22) — 9.4%, 33.7% (26)
Washington University, St. Louis (19) — 9.2%, 38.0% (24)
Columbia University, New York (3) — 8.7%, 46.9% (12)
UNC-Chapel Hill (30) — 8.5%, 33.2% (28)
New York University (30) — 8.4%, 52.4% (8)
Princeton University, Princeton, NJ (1) — 8.2%, 45.3% (13)
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia (8) — 8.1%, 43.1% (18)
University of Southern California, Los Angeles (22) — 7.9%, 56.0% (4)
Brown University, Providence, RI (14) — 7.8%, 45.2% (14)
University of Virginia, Charlottesville (25) — 7.3%, 32.1% (29)
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY (16) — 7.2%, 48.6% (11)
Yale University, New Haven, Ct. (3) — 7.2%, 43.6% (17)
Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass. (2) — 7.2%, 42.2% (20)
Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill. (10) — 7.0%, 39.7% (23)
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH (12) — 6.8%, 40.8% (21)
Rice University, Houston (16) — 6.7%, 51.4% (9)
University of Chicago (3) — 6.2%, 42.6% (19)
Stanford University, Stanford, Calif. (7) — 5.6%, 52.8% (7)
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh (25) — 5.6%, 54.1% (5)
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (27) — 5.2%, 31.9% (30)
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass. (3) — 5.1%, 51.3% (10)
Tufts University, Medford, Mass. (27) — 5.0%, 33.5% (27)
UC-Los Angeles (19) — 4.1%, 64.8% (1)
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Ind. (18) — 4.1%, 25.2% (31)
UC-Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif. (30) — 2.6%, 60.7% (3)
UC-Berkeley, Berkeley, Calif. (22) — 2.5%, 63.7% (2)
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena (12) — 1.3%, 53.8% (6)

So if you are a small school with a power 5 athletic teams it skews the percentages, got it!

death, taxes, and rafi going to bat for the public perception of Wake Forest on the internet

I'm not going to bat for anyone - I just posted the demographic statistics. I found it interesting that Wake has such a high percentage of black students compared to other top 30 schools. Despite that, I think Wake has a ton of work to do to continue to improve diversity on campus, especially in regard to black students. I think a few great approaches would be: 1) recruit more minority faculty, 2) act upon the specific requests of the black students that were presented this past spring.

The number of black athletes at Wake disproportionately impact our percentages versus larger universities.

...and to continue to be pretty generous to children of parents employed by msd.

All that is likely factored in to a planned percentage of students/parents paying full fare.

Don't know how many people are aware of this, but Wake Forest is discontinuing the tuition discount to children of employees.

The number of black athletes at Wake disproportionately impact our percentages versus larger universities.

didn't you recently chastise somebody for making a point in a thread that you already made? holy fuck you are the absolute worst.

Don't know how many people are aware of this, but Wake Forest is discontinuing the tuition discount to children of employees.

I don't think this is correct. The program is changing, but it's not being eliminated.

Back