• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black at Wake

JamesSokolove

877-490-6520
Reaction score
....and Carolina and Duke

https://triad-city-beat.com/black-at-wake-and-carolina-and-duke/

61380706_2324258340930707_2079161971134955520_n.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

It continues to amaze me that on this msg board in 2019 we still have some f*cking racist taggers.

Not surprising what some people say just hiding behind their handles. The surprise is the mods don’t curb it.

back in black, balck buzz begone, beautiful diversity siff, dem race fetish persists, it's they said they said, phbatsignal, phd diversity studies, rjkarl is a fucking moron

Which of these are racist? Serious question. Or did the modes already delete?

Quoted from the article:

Aries Powell attended predominantly white K-12 schools in Delaware, but they weren’t prepared for the flavor and intensity of whiteness they found at Wake Forest.

“It’s pervasive, in-your face, violent whiteness,” said Powell, who graduated from Wake Forest on Monday and goes by they and them. “Wealthy, elite whiteness. I’m solidly middle class. I’d always gone to school with people making similar amounts of money…. I had a lab partner, and he was like, ‘I’m going to drop out.’ I’m like, ‘What?’ He said, ‘It’s no problem. My dad owns a potato chip company. I’ll just go work for him.’”

WTF does "pervasive, in-your face, violent whiteness" mean? Having a rich Dad who owns a potato chip company means that you are "violently white"?

Ulysses "Junior" Bridgeman, who happens to be black, is the owner and president of Bridgeman Foods, Inc., a $500 million company that manages more than 300 restaurants. (Bravo for him!) If his kid says to someone that he is thinking about dropping out of college and going to work for his Dad, is he being "in your face, violently black" or is he just the son of a very wealthy and successful businessman?

Quoted from the article:

Aries Powell attended predominantly white K-12 schools in Delaware, but they weren’t prepared for the flavor and intensity of whiteness they found at Wake Forest.

“It’s pervasive, in-your face, violent whiteness,” said Powell, who graduated from Wake Forest on Monday and goes by they and them. “Wealthy, elite whiteness. I’m solidly middle class. I’d always gone to school with people making similar amounts of money…. I had a lab partner, and he was like, ‘I’m going to drop out.’ I’m like, ‘What?’ He said, ‘It’s no problem. My dad owns a potato chip company. I’ll just go work for him.’”

WTF does "pervasive, in-your face, violent whiteness" mean? Having a rich Dad who owns a potato chip company means that you are "violently white"?

Ulysses "Junior" Bridgeman, who happens to be black, is the owner and president of Bridgeman Foods, Inc., a $500 million company that manages more than 300 restaurants. (Bravo for him!) If his kid says to someone that he is thinking about dropping out of college and going to work for his Dad, is he being "in your face, violently black" or is he just the son of a very wealthy and successful businessman?

You seem triggered.

Fuck, I'm white trailer trash and I felt uncomfortable at Wake. The money there is something else.

I used the numbers from Wake's own website to give them a benefit of the doubt while showing how uncomfortable it could be to be black at Wake today.

Quoted from the article:

I'd guess the "violent" description is more a jarring emotional experience than physical violence? Probably could've used a less inflammatory word?

But yea, I guess it's worth considering what part of the described adjustment is economic and what part racial. Maybe?

It certainly does seem Wake has become a place for predominately wealthier kids/families over time.

Anyhow, non-white folks going through Wake would be expected to know their experience better than white folks. So I'd take them at their word, give them the benefit of the doubt as to what they say is their experience.

I used the numbers from Wake's own website to give them a benefit of the doubt while showing how uncomfortable it could be to be black at Wake today.

I don’t think Wake runs Collegefactual.com. Just a hunch.

Fuck, I'm white trailer trash and I felt uncomfortable at Wake. The money there is something else.

This for me too.

I in no way can empathize with what it feels like to be black at Wake, but I definitely understand the feeling of coming from a small family farm in rural NC and never really feeling like I fit in with the majority of people at my school.

I see the perspective, but I mean, the demographic numbers are on the internet.

This would be like me getting a scholly to Morehouse, and being like I played on an AAU team, I know black people, then getting to campus and being like WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT are these step shows?!?!?!?!?

WASP dude here but grew up on a farm in a small town and went to the local shitty public high school. Average middle class, happy and healthy but we drove Fords.

Wake wasn't as monied up in the mid to late 90's but you could see it trending that way.

Wake is chasing Vandy as far as wealthy student population. Don't kid yourself, that's part of the reason they went test optional; to get mediocre James Weathrington III or Mary Margaret whose parents were loaded and had funded all sorts of "diverse" volunteering and "outreach experiences" for them in high school to counteract their beige academic ability.

Get those parents involved with Wake!

Give to "Wake Will" because the endowment was wildly mismanaged in the 1990's and 2000's and WAKE NEEDS CASH!

Back