• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Black at Wake

That's the only reason I could afford to go to wake. Do you have any evidence this is true? I haven't seen anything in writing.

And to be clear, it wasn't a "discount," it was a concession. For me it was 96% of tuition covered. It then went down to 94% for faculty/staff hired before 2014 and 80% for those hired after that date.

That's the only reason I could afford to go to wake. Do you have any evidence this is true? I haven't seen anything in writing.

And to be clear, it wasn't a "discount," it was a concession. For me it was 96% of tuition covered. It then went down to 94% for faculty/staff hired before 2014 and 80% for those hired after that date.

It has been changed over the years. Unless netflix has heard something different, I think he/she is probably referring to the new plan, which I think applies to new upcoming hires and provides UNC level tuition at all schools (including Wake).

The information was relayed to me by a doctor who works at Baptist and teaches at the medical school. Allegedly was told employees who have been at Wake for a certain period of time and have kids of a certain age will be grandfathered in, but that new hires will no longer be getting that benefit as part of their contract/benefits package.

Pretty sure it’s continuing to change but not being eliminated.

Don’t know for certain.

I wonder if the policy no longer considers doctors who primarily work at baptist, but also teach for the medical school and supervise residents, as employees of the "university"

I wonder if the policy no longer considers doctors who primarily work at baptist, but also teach for the medical school and supervise residents, as employees of the "university"

I do remember a change in the past few years regarding this. I think if you work primarily for the med school you would qualify, but medical doctors who are primarily involved with patient care and also supervise med students do not. Supervising residents has no bearing as this has nothing to do with the med school.

Bowman Gray campus and the Reynolda campus have completely separate HR offices. Policies impacting med school staff/faculty would be set by their HR office and paid out through their benefit plans.

I do remember a change in the past few years regarding this. I think if you work primarily for the med school you would qualify, but medical doctors who are primarily involved with patient care and also supervise med students do not. Supervising residents has no bearing as this has nothing to do with the med school.

All of this is incorrect. All the Wake Forest physicians are school of medicine employees, they are faculty, and they are covered by the tuition concession program. As I wrote earlier, that program has changed some, but it is still present.

The information was relayed to me by a doctor who works at Baptist and teaches at the medical school. Allegedly was told employees who have been at Wake for a certain period of time and have kids of a certain age will be grandfathered in, but that new hires will no longer be getting that benefit as part of their contract/benefits package.

This is incorrect. The plan is still in place for new employees, but it only covers up to the cost of UNC.

I think if you work primarily for the med school you would qualify, but medical doctors who are primarily involved with patient care and also supervise med students do not. Supervising residents has no bearing as this has nothing to do with the med school.

Yeah, this was never the case.

So if you are a small school with a power 5 athletic teams it skews the percentages, got it!

Nope. Here are the small P5 schools from the list in the article - you'll see a range of percentages of black students:

Vanderbilt University, Nashville — 10.1%
Duke University, Durham — 9.5%
Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem — 9.4%
University of Southern California, Los Angeles — 7.9%
Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill. — 7.0%
Stanford University, Stanford, Calif. — 5.6%
University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Ind. — 4.1%

So, then one might reason that Wake is skewed because it is so small (the smallest P5). But that also doesn't seem to be the case, because here are the schools smaller than Wake that compete in FBS football and D1 basketball:

Rice - 4.7%
Air Force - 5.8%
Tulsa - 5.3%

Back