• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mueller to make public statement at 11am

He would have written that anyway even if Mueller had said “Trump is guilty of everything,” maybe with another bullet about the whole thing being a dem coup. People are too stupid and lazy to keep up, particularly the base of poorly educated

Also didn't change today:
-The only reason he wasn't charged with a crime for the Trump Tower meeting was that he was too stupid to know it was illegal.

I don't understand this argument since if you tell a cop who pulled you over for speeding you didn't know it was a 35 mph zone they'd tell you ignorance of the law is no excuse.

This thread.....

giphy.gif

Still grasping at straws? Still think the Russia investigation is a big conspiracy?

Also didn't change today:
-The only reason he wasn't charged with a crime for the Trump Tower meeting was that he was too stupid to know it was illegal.

I think that's BS. If you're taking part in a presidential campaign, you should know what to do if you're approached by a foreign government.

I don't understand this argument since if you tell a cop who pulled you over for speeding you didn't know it was a 35 mph zone they'd tell you ignorance of the law is no excuse.

My limited understanding of some of these campaign finance related crimes is the scienter requirement is that the defendant must know the conduct is illegal, which is certainly not found many other places in general criminal law.

Not a Lawyer, but I think it's because speed limits are posted all over the roads so you should know better, but there aren't billboards around 5th avenue explaining why it is illegal to seek stolen material from a foreign government to influence an election.

Also I'm not sure how you can say for sure someone didn't know something was illegal without questioning that person or people who talked to that person under oath.

so no collusion or obstruction only because he is the sitting president. otherwise fuck yeah he did it!!!

No, there was conspiracy although not rising to crime level and there was chargeable obstruction of justice but since DOJ rules preclude charging a sitting president he could not recommend indictment, constitution’s solution is congressional action, ball in congress court.

What kind of system do we have where it can’t be determined the president committed a crime?

One that includes something as archaic as the "electoral college"

I mean, our system of government is fucked. Only two realistic parties in a democracy? Just so stupid. We deserve the shit we get.

No, there was conspiracy although not rising to crime level and there was chargeable obstruction of justice but since DOJ rules preclude charging a sitting president he could not recommend indictment, constitution’s solution is congressional action, ball in congress court.

This.

He would have written that anyway even if Mueller had said “Trump is guilty of everything,” maybe with another bullet about the whole thing being a dem coup. People are too stupid and lazy to keep up, particularly the base of poorly educated

Agreed. Trump's (crime) family and toadies are going to repeat the same theme over and over for their base to read. At least Mueller didn't just walk out and, a la Barr, say that there was definitely no obstruction of justice, no Trump connections to Russia during the campaign, and that Trump was pretty much vindicated and honest and a good, God-fearin' American. God only knows what Trumpites would have done if he'd have said that.

Here's a question for the lawyers, if Trump is impeached, would that bar criminal prosecution in 2021 after he loses due to double jeopardy?

Here's a question for the lawyers, if Trump is impeached, would that bar criminal prosecution in 2021 after he loses due to double jeopardy?

Impeachment isn't a criminal proceeding.

One that includes something as archaic as the "electoral college"

I mean, our system of government is fucked. Only two realistic parties in a democracy? Just so stupid. We deserve the shit we get.

As much as I've admired over the years the UK system of government with multiple parties to choose from, they too seem hell bent on their current path of self-destructive behavior. So maybe more parties isn't necessarily the answer. I increasingly believe our biggest problem is not being able to agree on the same set of facts, but I see no solution for that problem in sight.

Any system of government is "fucked" when the people are "fucked up." The idea that a bunch of 1780s aristocrats could save us from ourselves is just stupid.

As much as I've admired over the years the UK system of government with multiple parties to choose from, they too seem hell bent on their current path of self-destructive behavior. So maybe more parties isn't necessarily the answer. I increasingly believe our biggest problem is not being able to agree on the same set of facts, but I see no solution for that problem in sight.

Good post. I've also admired the British Parliamentary system for awhile, and as our own system started to fall apart, I would argue, in the 1990s, and has accelerated downward ever since, I thought that the UK system was proving itself to be a better system over the long haul. But with Brexit and other issues it would seem that they are as screwed up as we are, and the average citizen is about as helpless to do anything about it. We're really facing an almost worldwide crisis of democracy and governance right now. Things that seemed permanent, like the US Constitution or the Bill of Rights or the federal government itself, suddenly look surprisingly antiquated and fragile and vulnerable. Hopefully we'll find some solution as we've done before.

Yeah, the real issue is with education of our public and the war on said education. People who don't have it see college as useless because they don't think they're ever going to use Calculus or German History or what have you. What the majority of people who don't receive education are actually missing out on isn't the class topics themselves, but the general ability to actually learn something the correct way. It's why it's so easy to deceive those people with falsehoods. They never learned how to understand difficult or foreign concepts, so they tend to only listen/stick to what they are comfortable with. Most of those who have been educated formerly understand that it takes time and effort to acquire new concepts.

Last edited:
Any system of government is "fucked" when the people are "fucked up." The idea that a bunch of 1780s aristocrats could save us from ourselves is just stupid.

Nah, only democratic systems of government are fucked when the people are fucked up. In monarchies, dictatorships, juntas, fiefdoms, tribal chiefdoms, etc. it doesn't really matter if the general population is fucked up, just the leadership.

Mueller basically cut Trump's and Barr's balls off about the origin of the investigation. Mueller started and finished statement about Russia's "systematic attack" on our democracy creating the justification for the investigation. Mueller was leaving no doubt about this and the insanity of Trump and Barr investigating why this began.

Back