• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mueller to make public statement at 11am

If this weak shit doesn't turn the tide, nothing will.

I mean, the Republicans know how to scare the shit out of people to get them to give money and vote. All I got from the Democrats was a picture of an unqualified news commentator who's been accused of overspinning the President's statements.

Has Catamount posted since Mueller have his statement yesterday? Would also be curious to get Wrangor’s thoughts at this point given that he said repeatedly that Trump was exonerated because no charges had been brought.

No and no.

Not sure how they can defend but would be interesting to hear from them.

That’s a pretty large base. They’re definitely going to vote so they’re looking at 45% of the popular vote before having to convince anybody else.

Not sure he's starting with as much as 45% of the electorate, but it is at least in the low to mid 40s, and it's because he is cleaning up with evangelicals and non-college educated whites like no one before him. But because we don't elect by popular vote, what is more important is he starts out with a very likely baseline of 205 EVs. Throw in AZ, NC and FL, and his probable baseline goes up to 260. So right now (and plenty of things could change in the next 17 months), the probable result of 2020 Trump v. generic Dem is Mr/Ms Generic wins 278-260. And because Mr/Ms Generic will crush him in most of the northeast and west coast states and because Dems are gaining ground in TX and GA, I have begun to posit that there is a good chance that Mr/Ms Generic could win by 5-8% of the popular vote and still have this close an election, which is unprecedented. Through 200+ years, the current record is Tilden winning by 3.2% of the vote in 1876 but losing 185-184 to Hayes, though there should be an asterisk by that election because the KKK and other white groups were extremely persuasive in convincing southern blacks and Republicans to stay home that day. Because of Trump, we will probably experience the largest EC v. popular vote disparity in our history.

Not sure he's starting with as much as 45% of the electorate, but it is at least in the low to mid 40s, and it's because he is cleaning up with evangelicals and non-college educated whites like no one before him. But because we don't elect by popular vote, what is more important is he starts out with a very likely baseline of 205 EVs. Throw in AZ, NC and FL, and his probable baseline goes up to 260. So right now (and plenty of things could change in the next 17 months), the probable result of 2020 Trump v. generic Dem is Mr/Ms Generic wins 278-260. And because Mr/Ms Generic will crush him in most of the northeast and west coast states and because Dems are gaining ground in TX and GA, I have begun to posit that there is a good chance that Mr/Ms Generic could win by 5-8% of the popular vote and still have this close an election, which is unprecedented. Through 200+ years, the current record is Tilden winning by 3.2% of the vote in 1876 but losing 185-184 to Hayes, though there should be an asterisk by that election because the KKK and other white groups were extremely persuasive in convincing southern blacks and Republicans to stay home that day. Because of Trump, we will probably experience the largest EC v. popular vote disparity in our history.

This. Democrats should print this post off and read it daily as a reminder that the margin for error in 2020 is incredibly small.

I say 45%, because it's a solid 40% who is very likely to vote. Democrats not only need to turn the large majority of that 60% but they also have to get them out to vote.

Trump now lying about Mueller wanting to become FBI Director after the orange man fired Comey. The only problem is Mueller never wanted or applied for the job.

I say 45%, because it's a solid 40% who is very likely to vote. Democrats not only need to turn the large majority of that 60% but they also have to get them out to vote.

Yes, turnout is often an issue with Dems, especially in midterm years, though turnout wasn't that bad in 2016. Precious few were enthusiastic about Hillary, but she got almost exactly the same amount of votes as Obama did in 2012 (with Trump getting a little more than Romney got). And 2018 was the best Dem midterm turnout in my memory. I think Trump will satisfactorily drive up the turnout in both directions. If there is 1 group that will not be motivated to turn out, it's establishment Pubs, although it'd be nice if they do show up and vote blue.

NewEngland, you were talking about this moment yesterday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...chment-proceedings-despite-criticism-n1011176

Cathy Garnaat, a Republican who supported Amash and the president said she was upset about Amash’s position but wanted to hear his reasoning. She said that she will definitely support Trump in 2020 but that Tuesday night was the first time she had heard that the Mueller report didn’t completely exonerate the president.

“I was surprised to hear there was anything negative in the Mueller report at all about President Trump. I hadn’t heard that before," she said. "I’ve mainly listened to conservative news and I hadn’t heard anything negative about that report and President Trump has been exonerated."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...chment-proceedings-despite-criticism-n1011176

Cathy Garnaat, a Republican who supported Amash and the president said she was upset about Amash’s position but wanted to hear his reasoning. She said that she will definitely support Trump in 2020 but that Tuesday night was the first time she had heard that the Mueller report didn’t completely exonerate the president.

“I was surprised to hear there was anything negative in the Mueller report at all about President Trump. I hadn’t heard that before," she said. "I’ve mainly listened to conservative news and I hadn’t heard anything negative about that report and President Trump has been exonerated."

One of the best and most telling comments I've ever heard about Fox News came way back in 2004 (I think, it may have been 2003). A former coworker and Vietnam vet who was a diehard GOP conservative told me during a break one afternoon about how much he loved Fox News, because it told the truth unlike CNN and all the others. He then got quiet for a minute, looked thoughtful, and said "or maybe it's because they tell me what I want to hear." I've always thought that was the most accurate comment I've heard from a regular Fox News viewer. They don't report the news, they don't make the news, they just twist the news to play on the fears, anger, prejudices, and insecurity of their base.

Yep that’s the one. Should be mandatory viewing for all Americans but especially Sailor, Moonz, Catamount et al

Our forever wars have rounded $2.5 Trillion and are headed towards 3, and you don't really hear a lot of "how do we pay for it?" Trump's asking for another $750BN increase in FY 2020 for military spending! Dems aren't really batting an eye at that 5% increase there though.

It's an utter lack of political will that keeps us from erasing student debt and moving towards public higher education or broadening health care and child care access, not a problem of implementation or possibility, and there is broad support for these policies, polled with well-credentialed methodology. You can read all about them.

Again, it'd be far simpler if you just admitted you don't agree with the policies than saying they wouldn't work or can't happen.

Fuck yeah to all of these posts.

Back