• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Info on Deacs in NFL camps

He would have been better served going to a juco or playing baseball in college. He probably got a bonus of around $140k and then virtually nothing at the rooking ball level. Pitching three years is rook ball =/= good.

That's a shame. He blew a great opportunity to get a good education and pathway to the pros for a $200,000 signing bonus. That's way less than the lifetime value of a college education.

He was an absolute beast in HS. He had the best commit video I've seen. If he had come to Wake, he could be on an NFL roster right now.

Last edited:
perhaps he made the decision with a strong consideration for his long-term health

Sure. And he's certainly going to be more healthy unemployed at Best Buy than playing college football.

Yesterday in the Athletic.com:

8. With Iupati on the sidelines, I continue to feel even more confident about rookie guard Phil Haynes having a real shot at cracking the starting lineup this year. This could all change once the pads come on in training camp, but so far Carroll has been pleased with Haynes’ technique, footwork and how the fourth-round pick fits Seattle’s style of play. Of the Day 3 draft picks, Haynes feels like the safest bet to be a contributor as a rookie.

Looks like Iupati will continue his trend he started with the Cardinals his last 2 years.

It's interesting to look at the baseball/football crossover athletes and see what those guys decide to do & how it turns out.

I wonder how much their decisions should be framed by their rank on the Joe Flacco Eliteness Scale®️? Such as are early round/starter level guys better off in one sport or another based on earning potential, career longevity, etc? And then contrasted to that, are mid-to-late round/replacement level guys better off in the same sport or the other one?

Without any actual research into the subject and before looking at elite vs middling guys, I'd assume that a good baseline would be to choose whatever sport you are clearly better at, but if it is close for both sports, choose football unless you are a RB or another high impact position.

But $150,000. That pays for two years of tuition, room and board .... oh wait ...

I am sure Uter made what he felt was the best decision at the time. I would think the wise choice for a mediocre at best draft position for a two sport star would be free college and a chance to see where your best paths lie. College baseball alone would have been a way to increase your long term money at his level if you have the talent. I am sure 140K looked big to him and maybe education is not his thing. The odds of making it in baseball where he started at, are not very good. Have to wish him the best.

Uter was drafted out of Pace Academy, which has a 2019-20 sticker price tuition of $29,715, which can be offset by financial aid

FWIW, reports at the time indicate he got $200k. I used $140k based on his draft slot, but the Dodgers may have overpaid for him.

And I would disagree that all things being equal, people should choose football. Risk of injury is too high. The smart play for Uter at the time would be to go to college and play baseball (and/or football). So many even high-level HS guys wash out of pro baseball. It ain't easy going from throwing against guys that won't be good enough to even sniff a college scholarship to playing against actual, professional baseball players.

Kevin Johnson featured in ESPN's article on surprise standouts for each team:

The No. 16 overall pick in 2015 was a disappointment in Houston, missing 29 games because of injury over his final three seasons (2016-18). The Bills signed him to a one-year, $3 million deal in March. He has participated in OTAs with the second-team defense but is expected to compete with Levi Wallace and E.J. Gaines for a starting role. Johnson had an interception in an OTA open to reporters and has impressed coach Sean McDermott. "He's gotten his hands on some footballs this spring to this point, which is important for us in terms of taking the ball away," McDermott said. -- Mike Rodak

Greg Dortch leads the UDFA pack

Dortch has been by far the best of the UDFA bunch. For starters, he’s wrapped up in the fight for return man honors, as we just mentioned. Just to have a shot at that job puts him ahead of a lot of undrafted players. But the fact that he’s been involved in the offense as a backup is a huge bonus, too. Dortch made an unbelievable grab on Thursday and has been consistently showing off his agility throughout the spring. He’s been taking advantage of this opportunity so far, without a doubt.

NJ.com has Dortch making the 53-man roster for the Jets.

Just get Dortch on the field. He makes game-changing plays.

If you're interested in watching some pro Deacs in the preseason this week:

Thursday, 8/8
Jets vs. Giants - Dortch is listed as 1st string PR and 3rd string receiver and should get snaps for the Jets
Colts vs. Bills - Kevin Johnson should get his first run out with the Bills. He should start or be a key rotational piece at CB.

Friday, 8/9
Bucs vs. Steelers - KJ Brent is on the Bucs and working for a practice squad role.

Saturday, 8/10
Rams vs. Raiders - The money game for Wake fans. Wolford (QB4), Bachman (WR10-12), and Colburn (RB6) hopefully all suit up for the Rams. They will all need to make use of limited reps, and are pushing for practice squad spots. Marquel Lee and Kyle Wilber are on the Raiders, and Lee is competing for a starting role.
Bengals vs. Chiefs - Jessie Bates will play a few series for the Bengals as presumptive starter at safety.
Cowboys vs. 49ers - Joe Looney should get a lot of time as 2nd string C/G for the Cowboys.

A few other updates: Phil Haynes had surgery for a sports hernia in July and is on the PUP list, but expected back by the start of the season. He was pushing for a starting role, and should be the backup guard for Seattle, at minimum. Ryan Anderson was cut by the Dolphins at the end of July -- haven't seen him picked up by anyone. Yarbary has signed for a CFL team. Cam Glenn and Chris Calhoun are still unattached, and Duke Ejiofor is out for the season with a torn Achilles.

If you're interested in watching some pro Deacs in the preseason this week:
Friday, 8/9
Bucs vs. Steelers - KJ Brent is on the Bucs and working for a practice squad role.

Brent did not travel to Pittsburgh for last night's game.

As they said on the Dortch thread Ryan Anderson got picked up by the Jets and was on the field when Greg caught his TD

Our three Rams did well tonight. Bachman was the third leading WR with 2 catches for 24. Coburn was 3rd leading rusher. Wolford had the best night going 6/8, leading in passing yards and was 2nd in rushing yards. GO DEACS!

Back