• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

This Is What a Real Conservative Looks Like in 2019

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score
Good read.

This Is What a Real Conservative Looks Like in 2019
By Andrew Sullivan

This week, two eminent Republicans did something quite novel in 2019. They committed conservatism. By conservatism, I mean a philosophy of limited, constitutional government, individual rights, trust in tradition, love of country, prudence in foreign policy and restraint at home. Restraint means not doing something that you could. It means conceding the right of your opponents to run the country for a while — for the sake of the common good. It means admitting that sometimes you’re wrong. It means give as well as take. It often means compromise.

Full: https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.co...s-is-what-a-real-conservative-looks-like.html

I hope Sullivan at some point realizes this ideal conservatism he longs for is a myth. Sure a few people here and there embody it but it’s never been a common characteristic of the GOP. Republicans now are acting the same way they did during Watergate, Iran-Contra, and when Democrats were whispering about impeachment as the Bush lies about Iraq unraveled.

Haven’t yet read the article.

But the quoted portion sounds very...LUBISH!

Actually, thanks for posting the link to that piece.

Fairly good read with interesting links worth exploring.

20 or so years ago I subscribed to First Things and enjoyed reading many of their articles. Eventually I quit, mainly because of lack of time.

Interesting to think some about the fracturing of conservative “consensus” with the rise of Trump. And sad to see some smart people so willing to compromise decency and honor for the sake of an ironic and increasingly illiberal victory.

Back