• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Jalen Rose's take on analytics in basketball

He did make a good point about analytics as a justification to keep former players out of management. I think some owners and fooled by people who can talk a good spreadsheet but lack substance just as they are fooled by former players who can talk a good game but lack substance.

I see where he was coming from about threes but he did a poor job making his point. It should be about talent not strategy. Guys who can’t shoot shouldn’t be camping out at the line. Guys who can should bomb away. What he missed is that bombers should be more valuable than guys who have to work harder to get midrange buckets.

Jalen was right about many things and wrong about things like the draft. It's not because baseball has such a low percentage of blacks and a freer draft versus predominantly black driven sports like the NFL and NBA. Neither the NFL nor NBA have an organized minor league system to groom 17-19 years olds to be ready to play with grown men. How many players go directly to the majors out of HS? Comparing the drafts and ability to enter professional team sports is more about talent and the sport than race.

He is right about the moronic stats that show Harden as anything better than a well below average defender (which is way better than being historically awful as he was for the first half dozen years of his career). Having CP3, Capela and even Tucker (previous Ariza and Luc), artificially inflates "stats" about his defense. Steph's defensive stats are also grossly inflated because of playing next to Draymond, Klay and even KD. If you put either of them on an average defensive team, that team's D would drop dramatically.

As to PER, if you can up with something that is allegedly predictive of a player's results, I have two issues with it. First, if you are smart enough to invent that, you should be able to either develop the next generation of it or tweak PER more. Secondly, the person who invented PER has been a senior executive with an NBA for 6.5 seasons with that team not improving and finally falling apart under his leadership. If his analytics were so good, why did the Griz improve dramatically?

He's also right about the absolute reliance on analytics keep people of color out of senior management positions and that analytics should be A tool in the toolbox not the dominant or only one.

There has yet to be a great NBA team built on analytics. Remember, if not for Jerry West, Klay Thompson would have been traded and there likely would never have been a Warriors' dynasty.

[Former Player X]'s take on analytics, regardless of sport, is great clickbait. Gets the olds and the noobs all riled up.

When you can't dispute the post, make it about me...

Hilarious and sad...

But seriously, if I were a player who had aspirations to make it in coaching or management, I'd be all in stats and analytics classes. This assumes that the school I play for wants to actually give me a quality, useful education.

But seriously, if I were a player who had aspirations to make it in coaching or management, I'd be all in stats and analytics classes. This assumes that the school I play for wants to actually give me a quality, useful education.

They can always go back to college for three more years when they're finished making shit tons of money playing pro ball.

There has yet to be a great NBA team built on analytics.

ha

Celts, Rockets, Sixers, Spurs all have great analytics depts and also are all pretty well set up to be good for a while

the problem with a hot take like this is that you can't make stats a panacea for your organization; it needs to be good alongside player development, nutrition, in game coaching, etc.

necessary but insufficient to have a good analytics team

Thanks for the smiles Townie. Your self-created arrogance is SAD and HILARIOUS at the same time. No wonders you don't believe in the possibility of something bigger than yourself. it's impossible for you to comprehend that potential. All Hail Townie!

ha

Celts, Rockets, Sixers, Spurs all have great analytics depts and also are all pretty well set up to be good for a while

the problem with a hot take like this is that you can't make stats a panacea for your organization; it needs to be good alongside player development, nutrition, in game coaching, etc.

necessary but insufficient to have a good analytics team

Your own post contradicts your position.

The Celtics built a team around high draft picks, a FA and a trade. The Sixers built their team by tanking and not taking threes. The Spurs took the fewest threes in the NBA this year (5th fewest the year before and 8th fewest the year before that).

Additionally, you dishonestly neglected a central point in my post. I said analytics should be A tool.

My bad, this is your MO...

EVerybody is WRONG and Townie is right. Aaahh, somethings don'y change. Don't bother townie with REALITY. If RJ says something, he has a Pavolivan reaction to say that RJ is wrong and he knows all. He'll take what RJ says to extreme and then spews always dishonestly paying no mind to RJ's main point.

Seeing ANYTHING RJ posst gets his flannels in a wad.

Your own post contradicts your position.

The Celtics built a team around high draft picks, a FA and a trade. The Sixers built their team by tanking and not taking threes. The Spurs took the fewest threes in the NBA this year (5th fewest the year before and 8th fewest the year before that).

Additionally, you dishonestly neglected a central point in my post. I said analytics should be A tool.

My bad, this is your MO...

you honestly cannot comprehend the written word. it's amazing.

Anybody should take a stats class. Learning basic stats and learning how to write in different styles for different audiences are great skills for people to have that they can use across contexts.

Anybody should take a stats class. Learning basic stats and learning how to write in different styles for different audiences are great skills for people to have that they can use across contexts.

The "newish" ability to easily compile and analyze large datasets is useful everywhere, even when the olds like RJ don't understand it and explain it away as voodoo. From banking to sports to running a damn car wash, merging diverse datasets, identifying trends and extrapolating predictions is an undeniable benefit. Those that undestand stats well enough to use them, understand their limitations as well. Those that don't understand them, well, don't...and end up titling at strawmen.

Last edited:
Back