• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJ Remembers Amblerfest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally don't spend my own money at steakhouses, but I definitely understand why they are good for larger dinners with coworkers. There is always something on the menu that even the most pain in the ass picky coworker can find to eat. In my experience there are as many irritatingly picky (or often just scarred) eaters as there are people like me who will eat pretty much anything. Taking a group to a seafood spot or a place that is preparing new and interesting things is just asking for trouble, as is trying an Italian spot now that every ninny is gluten and/or dairy free.

Juice, bro, I get where you're coming from here. Value is important.

However, some of these dudes are living in a world that is above looking at a value determination between $10 and $100. Dropping $4,000 on dinner for 10 worker bees isn't on the radar.

yeah, like I said, not my dime and it's not a big deal, just not how I'd do it

but it's the couples and non-business crowd in there that I don't understand

yeah, like I said, not my dime and it's not a big deal, just not how I'd do it

but it's the couples and non-business crowd in there that I don't understand

it's a famous place. People like to be seen in such locations.

If I'm not mistaken, the people who own Provisions also own several other eateries in Chicago. I think a couple of them are Italian. If the group this place, you could maneuver them to go to one of the Italian joints next time.

Don't get the fascination with Dry Aged beef though, don't particularly like the flavor. And anything grass fed is pure garbage with no fat. Also, they gotta have béarnaise sauce

Going to spend Sat-Thu in Vegas and am wary of whatever dinners the group will pick, probs mostly steakhouses. No one ever wants to do reservations ahead of time since they're not sure if they'll have meetings with #clients, so gotta keep things open. Flying back on a redeye Thu night so I'll have to figure out somewhere to treat myself.

I remember basically having this discussion with plama in the past about fine dining stuff. If it's my dime, I'd so much rather go to a non-steakhouse. I want to try lots of stuff or interesting techniques or a different cuisine or good cocktails/beer list, etc., all of which is secondary at a steakhouse. But for business dining as others have said I see the benefit of a steakhouse. Something for everyone, good service, has the semblance of fanciness.

I remember basically having this discussion with plama in the past about fine dining stuff. If it's my dime, I'd so much rather go to a non-steakhouse. I want to try lots of stuff or interesting techniques or a different cuisine or good cocktails/beer list, etc., all of which is secondary at a steakhouse. But for business dining as others have said I see the benefit of a steakhouse. Something for everyone, good service, has the semblance of fanciness.

well I like both, just realizing now my choice seems to be continue to do what I like or retire like 5 years sooner. Minimum wage going up to $15/hr and rents doubling have just made the prices too damn high compared to eating at home.

this is basically my take

Going to spend Sat-Thu in Vegas and am wary of whatever dinners the group will pick, probs mostly steakhouses. No one ever wants to do reservations ahead of time since they're not sure if they'll have meetings with #clients, so gotta keep things open. Flying back on a redeye Thu night so I'll have to figure out somewhere to treat myself.

A non-hotel eatery could be Piero's. It's Italian but has steaks. The downside is you'll probably need reservations unless you are willing to eat in the comfortable bar area.

well I like both, just realizing now my choice seems to be continue to do what I like or retire like 5 years sooner. Minimum wage going up to $15/hr and rents doubling have just made the prices too damn high compared to eating at home.

Bring in more vendors and have them take you out to dinner.

Without using the search function imma guess palma has 10+ references to pretzel bread on the boards.

Townie, not sure if you've been, but I think that St. Anselm is a steakhouse worth checking out.

Steakhouses: The Olive Garden for Business

yeah, I guess I just used way too many posts and words to say I'm not that into steak

sorry about that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back