• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJ Remembers Amblerfest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uber drivers should create a union so that they get paid properly. Supporting Uber is akin to supporting a sweat shop.

Uber drivers should create a union so that they get paid properly. Supporting Uber is akin to supporting a sweat shop.

Uber Corp makes lots of money because all the expenses fall on the driver. Vehicle maintenance and cleanliness, gas, insurance, even having a " good enough" vehicle.

Uber also makes a lot of money because they’ve created an easy to use platform to connect customers to clients in a very timely fashion for a reasonable price. It’s a pretty sensitive apple cart. It’s an industry where the legwork done by ownership and labor are obvious and appreciated. People would turn on both of them if fares went up or it took longer to get a ride.

Uber drivers would be better off decreasing their dependence on driving by organizing politically for universal health care and a federal jobs guarantee so they can either drive on the side or have a fallback option if driving doesn’t work out.

Chef. No contest. I don't enjoy cooking but love good food.

Now, if I was some poor moron living in the exurbs, I'd probably say driver.

Hm

I live a three or four minute walk from metro and I still think I’d do driver

Uber also makes a lot of money because they’ve created an easy to use platform to connect customers to clients in a very timely fashion for a reasonable price. It’s a pretty sensitive apple cart. It’s an industry where the legwork done by ownership and labor are obvious and appreciated. People would turn on both of them if fares went up or it took longer to get a ride.

Uber drivers would be better off decreasing their dependence on driving by organizing politically for universal health care and a federal jobs guarantee so they can either drive on the side or have a fallback option if driving doesn’t work out.

Uber also makes a lot of money because they recognized a market niche that exploited the following: large-scale changes in the labor market (shift to flexible "gig" economy + growth in the proportion of people living in economic precarity) in an industry where workers/contractors would already have their own cars already.

Uber Corp makes lots of money because all the expenses fall on the driver. Vehicle maintenance and cleanliness, gas, insurance, even having a " good enough" vehicle.

Uber also makes a lot of money because they recognized a market niche that exploited the following: large-scale changes in the labor market (shift to flexible "gig" economy + growth in the proportion of people living in economic precarity) in an industry where workers/contractors would already have their own cars already.

Definitely. Sadly, the political climate doesn’t allow this to be a mutually beneficial setup for everybody.

Hm

I live a three or four minute walk from metro and I still think I’d do driver

Yeah, because there’s nowhere to park in DC. You also don’t have to think about what you’re going to feed two kids on different schedules every night.

Have a car and don’t have trouble street parking near me but parking at work is like $450 a month

Metro takes 40 min to get to the office, if I had a driver I could be there in 15

Which is why they need a union.

Uber should be put out of business.

If they keep a ledger of their clients, they could make a living. It's outrageous that a company exploit people like Uber does. I thought you'd be for the workers not the billionaires who own the company and abuse the drivers.

That's where they've got the mummies!

Though there is that creepy mummy in Guadalara that keeps opening her eyes at tourists . Spooky

Definitely personal chef.

I enjoy cooking but don’t have the time to make quality meals.

Easier to quit being an Uber driver than to start. And people who do it full time would mostly be taking a pay cut. Some of those drivers say they make 100K per year.

Which is why they need a union.

Uber should be put out of business.

Honest question - what is so exploitative about the Uber business model?? I really have no idea what drivers make per ride or per hour or whatever? I assumed it must be a decent side gig or there wouldn't be so many people doing it?

Dunno if you can even still deduct maintenance and gas as business expenses after the cool new tax law. Think they're making like $9/hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back