• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJ Remembers Amblerfest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah some of that progressive Peter Gabriel stuff is downright weird.

The Gabriel-led Genesis and Collins-led Genesis were really all just leading to Mike Rutherford's supergroup, Mike and The Mechanics.

And we all agree that Genesis really started to stink with the 1986 release of Invisible Touch. Phill pretty well shot his load with his MEGA Huge Smash album, No Jacket Required in 1985.

I love the proggy Gabriel-fronted Genesis and the first few with Collins as the main singer.

I love Phil's Spanish accent in Illegal Alien.

Great video that got huge airplay on MTV.

You could turn on Rock92 in the late 80s and have like a 50% chance of hearing Phil Collins or Eagles every time.

Yeah, if they weren't playing some old song by Bad Company.

Wake Sociology prof Ian Taplin was schoolmates with most of the Genesis dudes and was still pretty close with Tony Banks for a while (2000s at least).

The super sad thing about Rock 92 in that era is that you could almost get a decent signal from 96.3 (I think) out of Roanoke/Danville/Martinsville which was a superior station.

The super sad thing about Rock 92 in that era is that you could almost get a decent signal from 96.3 (I think) out of Roanoke/Danville/Martinsville which was a superior station.

Yeah, that station rocked. If I was at my dad's in King it would come through real nice.

Wake Sociology prof Ian Taplin was schoolmates with most of the Genesis dudes and was still pretty close with Tony Banks for a while (2000s at least).

Banks really drove all that keyboard stuff through the 80's and everyone just figuted we'd be listening to keyboards and electric music all the time in the future. Guess that didn't really happen.

i generally think genesis is cornball nonsense but then sometimes a song like That's All will come on and you just have to rock out

i can't really get behind this but i know Serious Music People who tell me it's a masterpiece

Yeah, this is sounding real good. Selling England By The Pound and, of course, Lamb Lies Down on Broadway are also fantastic. A Trick of the Tail. I think it started to get good around Nursery Cryme, but I haven't listened to that one in a while, so who knows what I might think now.

6) Taking It All Too Hard
7) Just a Job to Do

You'd call these songs filler but they're pretty fucking good and got plenty of airplay on the album format.

8) Silver Rainbow
9) It's Gonna Get Better

Meh.

If you want some truly ridiculous 70s prog, check out Gentle Giant. I love it, but man, it is over the top.

Biff loves himself some Panera talk, with 0.1% of all posts about Panera. The biggest Panera talk was the dark times of 2016 where Biff boycotted Panera and subsequently complained in an online survey for the removal of the Asian Sesame chicken salad.

And we all agree that Genesis really started to stink with the 1986 release of Invisible Touch. Phill pretty well shot his load with his MEGA Huge Smash album, No Jacket Required in 1985.

Disagree. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility.

Biff loves himself some Panera talk, with 0.1% of all posts about Panera. The biggest Panera talk was the dark times of 2016 where Biff boycotted Panera and subsequently complained in an online survey for the removal of the Asian Sesame chicken salad.

Yeah, they brought that salad back when overall salad sales started tanking.

Disagree. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility.

I never really thought about it like that. Hmmmmm.

I gotta say though, America pretty much had it with Genesis and Phil when that Land of Confusion video came out. We were oversaturated with Phil's tenor stylings and longing for Guns and Roses in 1987.

I never really thought about it like that. Hmmmmm.

I gotta say though, America pretty much had it with Genesis and Phil when that Land of Confusion video came out. We were oversaturated with Phil's tenor stylings and longing for Guns and Roses in 1987.

Video aside - take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

Video aside - take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

You're really insightful.

Do you prefer Phil's solo work or his stuff with Genesis ?

You're really insightful.

Do you prefer Phil's solo work or his stuff with Genesis ?

Thanks. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back