• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJ Remembers Amblerfest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah driving sucks. fortunately i am usually chauffeured.

did i do your pretentious schtick correctly biff?

I don't know what you're talking about. But yeah, car service is the way to go.

driving a stick is a lot more fun in tuscany than in traffic.

Meh. I drive a manual in DC traffic every day (and have for the past 16 years) and it's not annoying or tiring or problematic. It's totally fine.

have you tried driving an automatic every day for a month?

Probably not for a month straight in the past 20 years. I drove an automatic for a week earlier this month when my car was in the shop and it too was fine, though I found myself wondering where the clutch was every time I started the car. I also had to get used to needing a heavier foot on the break when stopped since an automatic wants to keep going forward.

haven't had a car for about 8 years

been kicking around the idea of getting one, but the numbers just don't pencil out

haven't had a car for about 8 years

been kicking around the idea of getting one, but the numbers just don't pencil out

I went without a car for about a year to justify moving out of my rent controlled place in LA to within walking distance of work. Figuring all in gas, insurance, car payment would be $500-$600/mo and I could get around in Ubers for about that. But on the car payment side if you just focus on the interest you're paying instead of the principal, it penciled out for me so ended up buying one. Really the main downside to not having one is there were tons of things I'd just not do or places I wouldn't go cause I didn't want to spend the $40 to get there and back. Glad I eventually have one now, even though I maybe drive it once a week given most the places I go out I usually have a couple drinks so am still Ubering more than driving.

yeah, in Chicago you can do more with non-auto transportation -- public transit, bikes, even walking -- than you can in LA, so the numbers are even more stark

but it is true that there are things I just don't do, especially on weeknights, because I don't have a car

gonna be very glad to have one car paid off in January and another a year later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back