• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJ Remembers Amblerfest !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the caveats to that figure:

Here’s what the latest report found:

• Uber drivers typically collect $24.77 per hour in passenger fares.

• From that, Uber takes $8.33 in commissions and fees, about a third of all passenger fares.

• Vehicle expenses like gas and maintenance cost drivers about $4.87 per hour, Mishel determined, even after taking into account their tax deductibility.

• That leaves drivers with $11.77 per hour, from which they pay $0.90 in extra Social Security and Medicare taxes, because they are self-employed.

• If drivers don’t pay for health insurance or contribute to a retirement plan, they can take home $10.87 per hour.

• If they do want to purchase some basic benefits, their take-home pay would come out to about $9.21 per hour.

Honest question - what is so exploitative about the Uber business model?? I really have no idea what drivers make per ride or per hour or whatever? I assumed it must be a decent side gig or there wouldn't be so many people doing it?

The Uber business model passes all the expenses of the job and liability onto the individual not the company. Most people who do it only make like $10-12 hour when you factor in depreciation, expenses, etc. The upside is they can pick their own hours.

People would be better off if they just had an app where they could monetize their whole existence and cut out these companies: I am an Uber driver, I will be your Postmate, my spare bedroom is your Airbnb, I can go to the grocery store for you.

My cat and I work at the Children's hospital tonight and they told me our first visit is a special request from immunocompromised child and to make sure my cat doesn't do too much after his bath. My house is not a sterile environment, this is such a weird request.

Last edited:
If we can make sure Bo Burnham and Donald Glover reach 40 years old, we're gonna have a good time.

I was in California over Memorial Day weekend. I was staying across the street from Firestone Walker brewery with my mom and my sister's kids. I decided to walk across the street to have a beer and as I am in front of the brewery I hear from a car "Hey girl, hey. You don't have to go in there I got a beer for you" and some guy was trying to hand me a Corona out a car window. I thought about RJ and was like, there's that California hospitality he's always talking about.

The Uber business model passes all the expenses of the job and liability onto the individual not the company. Most people who do it only make like $10-12 hour when you factor in depreciation, expenses, etc. The upside is they can pick their own hours.

People would be better off if they just had an app where they could monetize their whole existence and cut out these companies: I am an Uber driver, I will be your Postmate, my spare bedroom is your Airbnb, I can go to the grocery store for you.

Gig/sharing economy is great for capitalizing profits and socializing losses.

Honest question - what is so exploitative about the Uber business model?? I really have no idea what drivers make per ride or per hour or whatever? I assumed it must be a decent side gig or there wouldn't be so many people doing it?

there was also a bait-and-switch element, I believe, where they changed payouts over time

There is huge turnover and thousands have taken to protesting how little they get paid.

There is huge turnover and thousands have taken to protesting how little they get paid.

Huge turnover is part of the model. If they don't like it they should go work at fucking Burger King.

was 'using your car as a taxi" supposed to be a super great way to make a living....?

Wanna hear a big secret ? Actual taxi drivers aren't getting rich either.

Wanna hear a big secret ? Actual taxi drivers aren't getting rich either.

Drivers of regular taxis also are understood to be on the low end of jobs. Taxi drivers "make a living," but it isn't a very good one. That is both the perception and reality.

Uber is putting out a myth that you can get rich driving. Worked for some early drivers, but the continued changes to the division of revenue have put most Uber drivers at the level of gypsy cabs, just with an app.

Does anyone know of/use an every day bug repellent lotion that doesn't make them smell like a campsite? Apparently I'm extra delicious this year because my legs are getting destroyed every single time I go outside.

By far the biggest winners as the gig economy expands are corporations. Once they figured out they could away with it, corporations have used it to save billions in healthcare and other benefits as well as keeping wages down. By being able to hire people by the gig, you don't have any down time and dramatically lessen training costs.

Does anyone know of/use an every day bug repellent lotion that doesn't make them smell like a campsite? Apparently I'm extra delicious this year because my legs are getting destroyed every single time I go outside.

Bug repellent with DEET is the best stuff. 25% or higher is much better than the single digit% stuff. Can't help with the camp smell. Sweet smelling stuff you could use will attract the insects.

Wear long socks and long pants when you have to go outside.

Gig/sharing economy is great for capitalizing profits and socializing losses.

Yes. But there is some utility to workers so it’s worth it to fix the system to make it less exploitive. The future is more like Uber than a traditional 9 to 5.

Yes. But there is some utility to workers so it’s worth it to fix the system to make it less exploitive. The future is more like Uber than a traditional 9 to 5.

The system is exploitative because consumers demand lower prices. It's the same reason that Mexicans cross the border to pick your strawberries and Thai slaves catch your shrimp. In general, Americans aren't willing to pay extra to ensure that the lower class is being treated humanely.

People do it 1) They don't have other options and 2) They are bad at math and don't realize all the costs they are incurring.

This is getting pretty Tunnel-ish for a CT. There are 7.4 million job openings in the US. No one is forcing anyone to drive an Uber for their primary source of income and pretty much every single Uber driver I've ever talked to was doing it as a side hustle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back