Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chat Thread: Would somebody please be Biff's friend ?

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Uber drivers should create a union so that they get paid properly. Supporting Uber is akin to supporting a sweat shop.

Quote Originally Posted by BarcaDeac View Post
    Doesnít Wake have a program in Queretaro?
    Yeah! I did it way back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by RJKarl View Post
    Uber drivers should create a union so that they get paid properly. Supporting Uber is akin to supporting a sweat shop.
    Uber Corp makes lots of money because all the expenses fall on the driver. Vehicle maintenance and cleanliness, gas, insurance, even having a " good enough" vehicle.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Uber also makes a lot of money because theyíve created an easy to use platform to connect customers to clients in a very timely fashion for a reasonable price. Itís a pretty sensitive apple cart. Itís an industry where the legwork done by ownership and labor are obvious and appreciated. People would turn on both of them if fares went up or it took longer to get a ride.

Uber drivers would be better off decreasing their dependence on driving by organizing politically for universal health care and a federal jobs guarantee so they can either drive on the side or have a fallback option if driving doesnít work out.

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Chef. No contest. I don't enjoy cooking but love good food.

Now, if I was some poor moron living in the exurbs, I'd probably say driver.
    Hm

I live a three or four minute walk from metro and I still think Iíd do driver

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Uber also makes a lot of money because theyíve created an easy to use platform to connect customers to clients in a very timely fashion for a reasonable price. Itís a pretty sensitive apple cart. Itís an industry where the legwork done by ownership and labor are obvious and appreciated. People would turn on both of them if fares went up or it took longer to get a ride.

Uber drivers would be better off decreasing their dependence on driving by organizing politically for universal health care and a federal jobs guarantee so they can either drive on the side or have a fallback option if driving doesnít work out.
    Uber also makes a lot of money because they recognized a market niche that exploited the following: large-scale changes in the labor market (shift to flexible "gig" economy + growth in the proportion of people living in economic precarity) in an industry where workers/contractors would already have their own cars already.
    We're going to be good again.

Uber Corp makes lots of money because all the expenses fall on the driver. Vehicle maintenance and cleanliness, gas, insurance, even having a " good enough" vehicle.

Yeah but riding in a Lyft is like working in a sweatshop. Noope.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
    Uber also makes a lot of money because they recognized a market niche that exploited the following: large-scale changes in the labor market (shift to flexible "gig" economy + growth in the proportion of people living in economic precarity) in an industry where workers/contractors would already have their own cars already.
    Definitely. Sadly, the political climate doesnít allow this to be a mutually beneficial setup for everybody.

NEW MODERAT0R
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    Hm

I live a three or four minute walk from metro and I still think Iíd do driver
    Yeah, because thereís nowhere to park in DC. You also donít have to think about what youíre going to feed two kids on different schedules every night.

Have a car and donít have trouble street parking near me but parking at work is like $450 a month

Metro takes 40 min to get to the office, if I had a driver I could be there in 15

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Which is why they need a union.

Uber should be put out of business.

Chat Thread: Would somebody please be Biff's friend ?

That wouldnít be good for the drivers, though.
    We're going to be good again.

If they keep a ledger of their clients, they could make a living. It's outrageous that a company exploit people like Uber does. I thought you'd be for the workers not the billionaires who own the company and abuse the drivers.

Which is the place with the big statue?
    El Pipila on the hillside in Guanajuato.

That's where they've got the mummies!

Though there is that creepy mummy in Guadalara that keeps opening her eyes at tourists . Spooky

Definitely personal chef.

I enjoy cooking but donít have the time to make quality meals.
    Hungry

NEW MODERAT0R
    Easier to quit being an Uber driver than to start. And people who do it full time would mostly be taking a pay cut. Some of those drivers say they make 100K per year.

Which is why they need a union.

Honest question - what is so exploitative about the Uber business model?? I really have no idea what drivers make per ride or per hour or whatever? I assumed it must be a decent side gig or there wouldn't be so many people doing it?

Dunno if you can even still deduct maintenance and gas as business expenses after the cool new tax law. Think they're making like $9/hr.