• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

China: Taiwan Tensions

China is a rising world power (and certainly seems to see itself that way) and, as in all dictatorships, the primary goal of the people at the top is to cling to power, no matter the cost. If they feel threatened, they'll probably have no misgivings about breaking any and all prior agreements and just sending in the troops to crush any further public dissent. Other governments may publicly condemn them, but the CCP won't care, no one will try to stop them, and there likely will be no long-term consequences from the US or anyone else. Taiwan was smart to not make a similar deal with the PRC, and allow PRC forces onto their soil.

China is very afraid the protests will spread to the mainland.

Maybe I've missed it over the last few years but it seems to me there should be a far greater opposition overall to China's government and policies than there are. I understand they're a critical economic world player but from human rights' abuses, to government control, to basic citizen's freedoms China is awful from a freedom perspective.

The TPP organized the Pacific Rim as a buffer against China, but Trump and other morons were against it. The pact didn't go far enough, but it was a decent first step.

Maybe I've missed it over the last few years but it seems to me there should be a far greater opposition overall to China's government and policies than there are. I understand they're a critical economic world player but from human rights' abuses, to government control, to basic citizen's freedoms China is awful from a freedom perspective.

You wanna pay three grand for an iPhone ?

The TPP organized the Pacific Rim as a buffer against China, but Trump and other morons were against it. The pact didn't go far enough, but it was a decent first step.

Yep, this doesn't get talked about enough. Sad we had to forfeit a good agreement because politicians had to get elected.

Back