• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Justin Gray takes Assistant Coaching Job at Winthrop

Gray took a nice spot with a great up and coming coach. Sucks for Childress who got stuck with Buzz and Manning.

Jgray has the heart of a lion. One of my favorite players ever, I hope he has a hell of a coaching career. Man I miss watching him play.

JGray out here playing chess. He knows he'll be back next year in a much more stable situation when we hire Pat Kelsey.

Will be interesting to compare gray’s and childress’s coaching jobs in say,two years.

Gray took a nice spot with a great up and coming coach. Sucks for Childress who got stuck with Buzz and Manning.

I don’t view it that way at all. He was fortunate to get not only the first job but then to be retained for the second. He’s had plenty of opportunity to demonstrate his coaching chops. I’m not sure he has them to demonstrate, apart from the recruiting piece.

Because recruiting has been so good?

True, not even that. But I think he's better at that than game prep, in-game coaching, player development, or anything else. Grasping at straws here.

But hasn’t Childress been the lead recruiter on all our best players in the last 5 years except brown?

Yes. and this is one more symptom of the problems. Apparently there hasn't been a really strong second recruiter among the assistants. I think the recently resigned assistant was supposed to be another good recruiter, but we know how that worked out.

Ideally, multiple coaches should be bringing in "the best" recruit over multiple years, with the"second best" not that far behind. Different areas of the country and different positions should have the "best recruit" in different years.

Back