• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reparations

One of the reasons the number of kids being homeschooled or sent to private "Christian" schools or Charter Schools is the reluctance of conservative Christian parents to send their kids to "liberal, secular" public or private schools where, God forbid, they might be taught that American history isn't all sweetness and light. Around ten years ago I skimmed through a US History high school textbook published by Bob Jones University Press - it's one of the most popular and commonly-used history textbooks in Christian schools and homeschooling. The text - especially regarding slavery, Native Americans steadily being pushed West and losing their lands (and whole tribes being destroyed), the condition of factory workers during the Gilded Age, especially child labor, the causes of the Civil War, and all the rest - was presented in a way that few mainstream historians would consider legitimate, or at the very least the whole story. It was certainly a positive spin, I'll give them that. I'm sure that anyone taught from such a textbook would probably see no need for reparations of any kind, or even why there should be an inquiry into such a thing.

One of the reasons the number of kids being homeschooled or sent to private "Christian" schools or Charter Schools is the reluctance of conservative Christian parents to send their kids to "liberal, secular" public or private schools where, God forbid, they might be taught that American history isn't all sweetness and light. Around ten years ago I skimmed through a US History high school textbook published by Bob Jones University Press - it's one of the most popular and commonly-used history textbooks in Christian schools and homeschooling. The text - especially regarding slavery, Native Americans steadily being pushed West and losing their lands (and whole tribes being destroyed), the condition of factory workers during the Gilded Age, especially child labor, the causes of the Civil War, and all the rest - was presented in a way that few mainstream historians would consider legitimate, or at the very least the whole story. It was certainly a positive spin, I'll give them that. I'm sure that anyone taught from such a textbook would probably see no need for reparations of any kind, or even why there should be an inquiry into such a thing.

not this complicated or requiring this many words. they don't want their kids to go to school with minorities.

My mother is a big genealogy nerd. Def no slave owners. My wife’s ancestors were signatories to some early PA abolitionist declaration.

Guess I’m getting a big tax break itshappening.jpg
Less then 2% of white people in America owned slaves, around 5-6% of white southerners owned slaves. So most white folks don’t.

Where those numbers from, since sounds more like white myth. Im pretty sure almost half the families in Mississippi owned salves.

Where those numbers from, since sounds more like white myth. Im pretty sure almost half the families in Mississippi owned salves.

It's not white myth. It's purposefully misleading math.

Last edited:
it’s whatamount. i’m sure the numbers are wrong.

So here are the numbers.

http://www.civil-war.net/pages/1860_census.html

So yes, only 1.2% of Americans owned slaves, but that’s a misleading number.

First of all, it’s 1.2% of everyone, slave and free in slave states and free states.

Slave states only made up 39% of the total population and 30% of the free population.

Slave owners made up 4.8% of the free population. But it’s obviously more than that because that’s just the one person who owns the slaves, not their family.

The chart shows that 8% of families in the US owned slaves.

8% of 5,155,608 American families is 412,450 families located in slave states. There were 1,515,605 families in slave states. So 412,450 out of 1,515,605 families owned slaves. That’s 27%. 27% percent of free families in slave states owned at least one slave.

Slaves were expensive, so basically everyone who could afford slaves had slaves.

But let’s look at the numbers even closer. Mississippi and South Carolina were slave states even though the majority of the population were slaves. Almost half of the families in those states owned slaves.

Last edited:
Lol Ph thinks “civil-war.net” is a reputable source

that’s the group really getting screwed here

Anyone arguing this issue in good faith would know that the reparations issue is not limited to slavery, but also to post-Civil War federal and state government sponsored racist policy that continued officially well into the 1960s and unofficially later than that. These racist government actions impacted people who are very much still alive today and their immediate descendants. Jim Crow confiscation of property, redlining, racist application of the GI Bill, racial discrimination in government employment, segregation of schools, including colleges (WFU's first black student arrived in 1962, and Wake was one of the first private schools in the South to integrate), the list goes on - all severely handicapped the ability of black people to build education and wealth for more than a century after the Civil War, and this directly impacts their descendants.

So while I'm sure it gives junebug a hearty chuckle to post quips about how all the slaves are dead, that entirely (and I suspect purposefully) misses the point.

Anyone arguing this issue in good faith would know that the reparations issue is not limited to slavery, but also to post-Civil War federal and state government sponsored racist policy that continued officially well into the 1960s and unofficially later than that. These racist government actions impacted people who are very much still alive today and their immediate descendants. Jim Crow confiscation of property, redlining, racist application of the GI Bill, racial discrimination in government employment, segregation of schools, including colleges (WFU's first black student arrived in 1962, and Wake was one of the first private schools in the South to integrate), the list goes on - all severely handicapped the ability of black people to build education and wealth for more than a century after the Civil War, and this directly impacts their descendants.

So while I'm sure it gives junebug a hearty chuckle to post quips about how all the slaves are dead, that entirely (and I suspect purposefully) misses the point.

Well said.

I refuse to believe that one for Greensboro's finest attorneys was arguing in bad faith. Shame on you for suggesting it.

Only Junebug could spin laws designed to ensure equal rights as advantaging minorities.

Back