• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reparations

I think anyone honestly reading my posts from today would agree that I have the patience of a saint. But this is the last straw.

Peace out.

You literally just quoted yourself saying the government shouldn’t prohibit private discrimination. We are being patient with you.

You all won't want to hear this, and you should know it pains me greatly to say this, but Junebug is clearly in the right here. You all are misunderstanding what he is posting and trying to say.

You all won't want to hear this, and you should know it pains me greatly to say this, but Junebug is clearly in the right here. You all are misunderstanding what he is posting and trying to say.

I get what he is saying to even though I disagree with him in many of these matters.

In a nutshell, private discrimination is a legislative matter and not a constitutional matter.

It prevents people from discriminating against you?

I’m just spitballing here.

So what advantage over white men does that provide? Leveling the playing field can’t be considered giving an advantage.

I'm just asking questions. To me it looked as if he was contradicting himself with some of his posts, but he finally clarified what he was saying with that one post with the "constitution does not apply to private sectors" paragraph. I'm still dubious about his claims of what the constitution can and cannot do, however, and there is hardly universal agreement as to his originalist beliefs about the constitution.

The recent concepts are that many of these matters are covered.

[h=1]How the GI Bill's Promise Was Denied to a Million Black WWII Veterans[/h]The sweeping bill promised prosperity to veterans. So why didn’t black Americans benefit?

https://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-black-wwii-veterans-benefits
The Burnetts weren’t the only black Americans for whom the promise of the GI Bill turned out to be an illusion. Though the bill helped white Americans prosper and accumulate wealth in the postwar years, it didn’t deliver on that promise for veterans of color. In fact, the wide disparity in the bill’s implementation ended up helping drive growing gaps in wealth, education and civil rights between white and black Americans.
While the GI Bill’s language did not specifically exclude African-American veterans from its benefits, it was structured in a way that ultimately shut doors for the 1.2 million black veterans who had bravely served their country during World War II, in segregated ranks.

"The unanimously passed resolution does not mandate direct payments. Instead, it will make investments in areas where Black residents face disparities. The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.

Those aren't reparations, they are continuing failed Demo policies. But solid dupe work by Asheville to get Twitter run by including a word their resolution without actually pursuing its intent.

Stop trying to make “Demo” happen, sailor jr.

what are the best books on reparations?

less interested in arguments in favor of reparations, but ones that start from a place that reparations are necessary (or good) and talk about the mechanics of what reparations might look like in the United States

less interested in arguments in favor of reparations, but ones that start from a place that reparations are necessary (or good) and talk about the mechanics of what reparations might look like in the United States
Atlanta, Season 3 Episode 4.

I would start with From Here to Equality by Sandy Darity. Lays out both the reasons for reparations, quantifies the debt, and lays out a roadmap to achieve its implementation.

yea, any of the sandy darity/darrick hamilton stuff qualifies. they're definitely the most serious and pragmatic, not to mention the fact that they've advocated for these policies for decades at this point and are really fucking smart. a lot of it comes from a kernel of an idea by manning marable dubbed baby bonds

Back