• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reparations

"The reparations debate now necessarily extends beyond slavery, drawing from Jim Crow and more recent discriminatory practices in the North and West."

Interesting angle.

I think it is impossible to base reparations on the past though. Impossible pragmatically, and the present/future is difficult enough.

Last edited:
...actual political shift that happened starting in the 50s and especially 60s...

Started then, really took off and solidified over the 70's. Continued changing even into the 80's.

At least that's my recollection. Not sure the actual data.

"The reparations debate now necessarily extends beyond slavery, drawing from Jim Crow and more recent discriminatory practices in the North and West."

Interesting angle.

I think it is impossible to base reparations on the past though. Impossible pragmatically, and the present/future is difficult enough.

Not sure what you mean. Also, what’s the alternative? Just say racism is cool?

White people(mostly Republicans) don't want people of color to have representation in government. Why would they want to pay reparations?

Not sure what you mean. Also, what’s the alternative? Just say racism is cool?

How would you logistically do it? No, just say racism is cool is not an alternative.

How would you logistically do it? No, just say racism is cool is not an alternative.

Take a look at the baby bonds proposal, for one. It's brilliant, IMO.

One of the unfortunate aspects of a hearing like this (and the fact that for many white people this may be their first serious mainstream exposure to the concept) is that it makes it seem like a lot of really talented economists, historians, and social scientists haven't written literal books on the subject.

Ugh, a duke alumni association article?

The baby bonds part is like three quarters of the way down

Reparations can’t go to individuals. It’s logistically impossible. If it is ever going to happen, it’s going to have to be a pot of money that is earmarked towards investment in poor, African American communities.

Reactions: ONW
Reparations can’t go to individuals. It’s logistically impossible. If it is ever going to happen, it’s going to have to be a pot of money that is earmarked towards investment in poor, African American communities.

What if we put a Fresh Market in poor, African American communities?

while i agree with Coates that the Federal Gov. is responsible for a litany of offences against the AA community, their actions since 1865 isn't limited to the AA community. Are reparations about the injustices suffered by all minorities and the underclass for systemic issues or about slavery?

The hearing yesterday was about whether Congress should study the issue. It's telling that people want to jump immediately to "it's logistically impossible". the question on the table is not a vote on a dollar figure or exact mechanism of reparations, it's whether our elected representatives should study an issue that is clearly hugely consequential to the nation. why should "it's hard" be an excuse for our government to take on such issues? Is that not the reason we have a representative government, to examine difficult national problems and come up with solutions?

That question aside, my biggest personal objection to monetary reparations is that it gives everyone's racist uncle a built-in excuse to keep being racist. "Y'all took my hard earned tax dollars and gave it to the blacks, now we're all square and they better stop complainin' about the discrimmy-nation."

The hearing yesterday was about whether Congress should study the issue. It's telling that people want to jump immediately to "it's logistically impossible". the question on the table is not a vote on a dollar figure or exact mechanism of reparations, it's whether our elected representatives should study an issue that is clearly hugely consequential to the nation. why should "it's hard" be an excuse for our government to take on such issues? Is that not the reason we have a representative government, to examine difficult national problems and come up with solutions?

That question aside, my biggest personal objection to monetary reparations is that it gives everyone's racist uncle a built-in excuse to keep being racist. "Y'all took my hard earned tax dollars and gave it to the blacks, now we're all square and they better stop complainin' about the discrimmy-nation."

Agree with all this.

Definitely seems appropriate to me to examine/consider our national response and ongoing responsibilities to address past violations of human rights.

We are eventually going to owe reparations to asylum seekers who are in concentration camps so we need to go ahead and figure this stuff out.

Despite the American patriots America fuck yeah attitude our country is fucked up and does a ton of harm. We owe stuff to people around the world over and over. Take it from the billionaires!!!

We are eventually going to owe reparations to asylum seekers who are in concentration camps so we need to go ahead and figure this stuff out.

There’s a colorable argument that America also owes Japanese residents and Japanese-American citizens reparations for putting them in concentration camps during WW2

Back