• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reparations

I don't advocate studying it further, but I don't oppose doing so. I am skeptical that any proposal coming out of such a study will be realistic.

Nothing is realistic if you don't figure out how to do it. Ending slavery wasn't realistic for a long time and people are still bitter about that. You just do the right thing.

Chances anyone would accept the results of a study that comes back “not feasible”?

It’s quite the quantum leap that Ph is in favor of studying the issue. So brave to state that position here.

I’ll do the study myself.

All former slaves are dead.

Where do I send the bill?

Yet descendants of slaveowners are still inheriting the reparations slaveowners got.

Posted above.

I must have missed where they said descendants of slaveowners are still inheriting restitution checks today.

So your argument is wealthy people did not pass down their wealth to their children. Weird.

I mean black people had slaves, technically Ph could have ancestors that were slave owners if were are just throwing stuff out there.

I mean black people had slaves, technically Ph could have ancestors that were slave owners if were are just throwing stuff out there.

There plenty of black people with slaveowner ancestors because slaveowners raped their slaves and the children were slaves as well.

It wasn’t until these boards that I learned how little educated white people know about slavery. Makes sense though.

Junebug: Quit living in the past. Slavery is over and it has no impact on our lives.

Also Junebug: The Constitution as written was perfect and should have the same meaning today as it did then.

always amusing what topics fires junebug up

My mother is a big genealogy nerd. Def no slave owners. My wife’s ancestors were signatories to some early PA abolitionist declaration.

Guess I’m getting a big tax break itshappening.jpg

My family definitely owned some slaves in the past but I’m happy giving up my mule.

Don’t understand why anyone would oppose studying reparations. It doesn’t require any action at this stage merely provides additional information.

Jewish people were once enslaved and now conspiracy theorists believe they control the majority of wealth in the world. How did they achieve this feat without reparations? Can the USA bring in West African countries as 3rd-party defendants to recoup some money? Weren't the majority of slaves captured by African slavers and sold to Europeans? These are questions that federal tax dollars must be spent to learn the answers to.

milhouse's driveby posts have really been terrific here

My family definitely owned some slaves in the past but I’m happy giving up my mule.

Don’t understand why anyone would oppose studying reparations. It doesn’t require any action at this stage merely provides additional information.

If you don't like the findings, just bury them. See: climate change.

People are scared of studies because they might upset the status quo.

Back