• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reparations

ONW

Reaction score
https://time.com/5609044/reparations-hearing-history/

"On Wednesday, the issue of reparations for slavery will be a topic of discussion on Capitol Hill during a hearing scheduled by the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties “to examine, through open and constructive discourse, the legacy of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade, its continuing impact on the [African America] community and the path to restorative justice.”"

Let's do this. White people view reparations as cutting a check for something that they are generationally not responsible for. Black people view reparations as receiving a check for something that they generationally deserve to help level their current opportunities.

I'm generalizing I know, but let's discuss how we theoretically get past this issue.

- How would you determine adequate compensation?
- How would you determine who needs to pay that compensation?
- How would you determine who deserves that compensation?
- What form would compensation take?

So many questions.

I’ve not studied or thought a lot about it.

My first impulse is to think it’s not possible to do in any sensible way that will be satisfactory to most folks. And probably more important to better work towards providing livable wages, nondiscriminatory opportunities, etc.

Not saying we couldn’t strive towards both. But the second seems more doable and like to provide longer term benefits.

Maybe 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: ONW
i will admit to preemptively hating most of the kind of people who would go to a trump rally enthusiastically, especially in 2019

jhmd started cumming when he started reading that sentence, then quickly shriveled up

Told ya, Lincoln was a republican so checkmate Democrats, the party of racists and slavery.

Trumpublcans: TARIFFS on African imports...that's how we'll do it!

Make Africa pay for it!

It's amazing how Republicans think people are stunned by basic history.

Refer to Shoosh's post.

It's amazing how Republicans think people are stunned by basic history.

I think the point was they are pretending that a black man saying what Burgess Owen said was stunning, even though Burgess Owens wrote a book called "Liberalism or How to Turn Good Men into Whiners, Weenies and Wimps" in 2016. He's just another Candace Owens (wonder if they are related).

They've been playing the democratic party is the party of racism historically so they still are while we are the party of Lincoln card for awhile now, which is forever dumb.

Reactions: ONW
Nah, remember when Rand Paul gave that speech at Howard?
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ittle-awkward-but-it-wasnt-a-disaster/274877/

Paul also devoted much of his remarks to countering the image of the Republican Party as hostile to minorities, by focusing on the party's role in supporting civil rights. But it came across as an awkward lecture on black history to students at a historically black university.

"How many of you, if I were to have said, 'Who do you think the founders of the NAACP were, did you think they were Republicans or Democrats?' would everybody in here know they were Republicans?" Audience members laughed as several yelled, "We know that!" At another point, Paul forgot the name of former Republican Sen. Edward Brooke, the first popularly elected African-American senator, a mistake that drew laughter as a number of people yelled out Brooke's full name.

Republicans loves to talk about parties as if they are completely stable and ignore the party shift that started around the Civil Rights era and is still continuing to this day as we see more and more working class white Democrats go to the GOP post-Obama.

I think the point was they are pretending that a black man saying what Burgess Owen said was stunning, even though Burgess Owens wrote a book called "Liberalism or How to Turn Good Men into Whiners, Weenies and Wimps" in 2016. He's just another Candace Owens (wonder if they are related).

They've been playing the democratic party is the party of racism historically so they still are while we are the party of Lincoln card for awhile now, which is forever dumb.

I still remember that until his death in 2010, anytime a Congressional Republican said or did something clearly racist, one of the favorite GOP comebacks was "but y'all have Robert Byrd in the Senate, and he was a Klan member!" Nevermind that Byrd had quit the Klan in the late 40s, and his views had clearly evolved over the years, while the GOP was making present-day racist slurs and actions, the fact that Byrd was still in the Senate was enough to boside things. If the GOP can find a single Democratic pol anywhere, in any state, no matter how low or obscure the office, who has done or said something racist in the past, then that is enough to loudly dismiss any criticisms of their own party's far more numerous present-day bigots and sexists, or to just deny the actual political shift that happened starting in the 50s and especially 60s.

Why do present-day racist groups almost unanimously support Republicans? That white Southern Democrats made a massive shift to Republicans starting in the 60s due to the civil rights movement, school integration, and pro-civil rights laws and court rulings is a historic fact, as shown by simply looking at electoral vote maps from presidential elections from the 1950s on. Southern Democratic pols like Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms were the vanguards of this shift. There is little to no debate among historians about this; it happened. What's happened more recently is that this shift has moved outside the rural and suburban South and is now nationwide - many overwhelmingly white rural and some suburban counties across the nation are voting based primarily on race and white tribalism. There have been numerous studies on this phenomenon since 2016, I've linked an article about a recent study below.

Link: https://psmag.com/news/new-study-co...not-economics-drove-former-democrats-to-trump

Nah, remember when Rand Paul gave that speech at Howard?
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ittle-awkward-but-it-wasnt-a-disaster/274877/

Republicans loves to talk about parties as if they are completely stable and ignore the party shift that started around the Civil Rights era and is still continuing to this day as we see more and more working class white Democrats go to the GOP post-Obama.

That's exactly what I was saying. It's not a new argument from them. But I get your point -- they're gaslighting.

Solutions folks, focus.

That's exactly what I was saying. It's not a new argument from them. But I get your point -- they're gaslighting.

Right. I'm saying the "stun" was the history, not the black Republican.

Back