• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah St.

I think more depends on Hinton than we may suppose. Dortch is the most difficult player to replace and, as far as I know, Hinton is the only one who comes close.

We played six games without Dortch the last two seasons. In those games, we scored 37 against Notre Dame, 64 against Syracuse, 30 against NC State, 23 against Duke, 55 against Texas A&M, and 37 against Memphis. Dortch is a really good receiver but I think we'll see other guys step up (including Hinton).

Clawson has recruited as well at receiver as any position on the team. WF has depth at that spot, including the two stud frosh -- Groulx and Greene. Feeling pretty good about WF receivers even sans Dortch.

Despite some reassurances this Summer, my concern remains focused on the defense -- particularly the DL (and to a lesser extent the DBs). Teams will/should try to gash WF with the run and make the Deacs prove that they can overcome a size disadvantage on the DL .

With that said, WF should have a big edge over USU. Clawson has program continuity, and the Deacs finished last season averaging 36 ppg in its last 6 games with a large part of that production returning. USU has a new staff, and massive roster turnover, save their stud QB. And WF is at home. Given those circumstances, WF should win. Agree that the game is a big one to set the tone for the season and to boost WF's spot on the ACC bowl pecking order.

We played six games without Dortch the last two seasons. In those games, we scored 37 against Notre Dame, 64 against Syracuse, 30 against NC State, 23 against Duke, 55 against Texas A&M, and 37 against Memphis. Dortch is a really good receiver but I think we'll see other guys step up (including Hinton).

Being without Dortch forces us to spread the ball around which makes us more dangerous in my opinion. We get our best pass blocking Olinemen back. A 1000 yd rusher returns and another back who looked great during spring in Smith and unknown in highly ranked freshman Flowers whom I think will redshirt because Delaney breaks out this year. Jack has been quietly improving at te and will be solid. If Hinton or one of the other we can replace the shiftiness off Dortch I think we improve. And I just think Basham, McCollum, and Allen will be great on the DL another one or two step up we are good. Our unknown lbs need to step up and stay healthy I worry about lb and db. Coby come back at Cb strong he was set to break out before Tulane

Les thinks Utah St will be our 5th toughest game even tougher than FSU and BC. I don't see it just because of a qb

Put Trevor Lawrence at Elon I don't think they beat us still

Our offense should handle them on the ground and in the air. Even without Dortch, the receivers are a scary good group and Carney/CBS are going to give them problems. Whether we win this game comes down to the defense. Hopefully a healthy LB group and some help with the pass rush will put us over the top.

Does Utah State's new (or renewed) head coach run the same offense as the guy who just left?

Well, the guy who just left was Andersen's OC the first go-around, but he ran the spread while the new OC is a pro-style guy I believe (background is Stanford and Notre Dame before being WKU's head coach).

And what an awful HC he was. He took a great situation post-Brohm and ran it straight into the ground in just two years.

Being a good OC and a good HC is a different deal, as our Dave-o can attest. But hopefully those struggles have shaken his confidence

I hope people keep on hyping up USU - it'll just make our win look better if we are as fortunate.

Channeling my inner Lectro here, but I am curious if Claw slides one of these dudes inside on DL:

Mike Edwards: former High School state wrestling champion. Currently OL; played OL and DL in high school. He is 6'6/330. So, that could be a run stopper, potentially.

Mike Allen: We seem in good shape at DE, and we need to get him on the field; looked very good at DE at end of season last year. 6'5/280.

I don't think any of the True FR are ready, but the roster got updated very recently and of note: True FR Justin Williams is up about 30 pounds to 6'2/275.

Any of those guys solidify after loss of Fox and support Kamara/Bergan/Tyler Williams/Bothroyd.

I don't like that recent quote about our DT looking "small but FAST." I could be obsessing, but rather plan ahead now.

Channeling my inner Lectro here, but I am curious if Claw slides one of these dudes inside on DL:

Mike Edwards: former High School state wrestling champion. Currently OL; played OL and DL in high school. He is 6'6/330. So, that could be a run stopper, potentially.

Mike Allen: We seem in good shape at DE, and we need to get him on the field; looked very good at DE at end of season last year. 6'5/280.

I don't think any of the True FR are ready, but the roster got updated very recently and of note: True FR Justin Williams is up about 30 pounds to 6'2/275.

Any of those guys solidify after loss of Fox and support Kamara/Bergan/Tyler Williams/Bothroyd.

I don't like that recent quote about our DT looking "small but FAST." I could be obsessing, but rather plan ahead now.

Completely agree with your concern. Speed does you NO good when you are flat on your back from a pancake block.

I really hope we don't move OL to DL. That rarely works well. Edwards is the highest ranked OL recruit we've ever gotten. I expect him to be the backup/swing tackle this year as a RS Fresh and start for the three following years at LT. I hope we make the long-term decision to let him develop at OT.

Has there been any hint that WF is considering moving Edwards to DT? He certainly has the girth (listed at 330) to play DT, but at 6-6, that is tall to play inside on defense. There is truth to the "low man wins" credo on interior blocking, just not sure that putting a guy at DT because he is huge is necessarily the right way to go.

Edwards should stay on OL, but we are thin on depth at DT, so I trust Clawson to do whatever he needs to do to get wins.

Has there been any hint that WF is considering moving Edwards to DT? He certainly has the girth (listed at 330) to play DT, but at 6-6, that is tall to play inside on defense. There is truth to the "low man wins" credo on interior blocking, just not sure that putting a guy at DT because he is huge is necessarily the right way to go.

Its almost always not the right way to go. Just a fan-driven fantasy.

I think we've all answered the question above.
Mike Edwards is a very big guy and his place is on the the O line where he should have a very good career as a tackle.

"Small but Fast". An old basketball coached used to say, "Quick guys get tired, Big guys don't shrink." I can see Allen being moved all over the place and Edwards staying put.

Back