• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah St.

Isn't it kind of a finger in the eye to the Wake band to invite the WSSU band to play at our football game?

Nah. Band peeps enjoy watching other bands do their thing. The Wake band is not trying to be the WSSU band. I guarantee the Wake band peeps will enjoy the WSSU show more than anyone else in the stadium, because they have the most appreciation for what goes into putting on a show like that.

Is it going to be a combined show that's what I thought I saw

You know what the people in the stands would really enjoy at halftime ?

Frisbee Dogs

I got pretty excited when I heard that the WSSU band is playing the USU game. I have fond memories of the time the NC A&T band played at Groves when I was younger. I never knew a band could be that loud.

So, WF fans want the offense to throw deep more. Shocking.

"C'mon, air-it out Clawson!"

Clemson has lead the nation recently in attempted and completed WR go routes. Can't find the stats online to support this, but have heard broadcasters mention it several times. Obviously, they have a large talent advantage, but it still goes to show that good teams are taking advantage 1 on 1 deep matchups with their WRs. I think Washington and Surratt are plenty talented to accomplish this. Hell, we had a lot of success towards the end of 2017 with Washington, and (as wakelaw mentioned), deep balls won us the State game, and the Memphis game as well.

Clemson also had a senior All American LT protecting the QB and giving him time to throw last year.

With all the delayed hand offs and RPOs we run, our staff must not think time is that big of an issue.

Wake finished #109 out of 130 last year in QB sacks allowed. So, it's an issue.

Clemson finished #12.

For NCAA stats, are all QB runs tackled for a loss considered a "sack" or is there some discretion on the part of the statistician to determine whether it was a running play or passing play?

Thanks for the info. Are you worried about your defensive backfield? On a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being petrified and 10 being we will be top 5 in the nation in batted balls and picks

I would say about a 4. Our starters are good, it’s just the depth that isn’t good. If even one of our guys went down with an injury, we’d be in a lot of trouble.

For NCAA stats, are all QB runs tackled for a loss considered a "sack" or is there some discretion on the part of the statistician to determine whether it was a running play or passing play?

Lots of discretion that goes into those in the press box. Basically a decision has to be made -- almost always without benefit of replay -- whether QB had tucked to run/scramble or was still in a "passing mode."

No. Only plays where the quarterback is trying to pass. In college, those count as a rushing loss in the stats, in the NFL it is a loss of passing yards.

Clemson also had a senior All American LT protecting the QB and giving him time to throw last year.

Wake should have a sixth year, NFL player caliber left tackle protecting Newman's blind side. That should help some. Also, Clawson has talked about the O-line being 8-10 deep for 2019, unlike in past years.

I would say about a 4. Our starters are good, it’s just the depth that isn’t good. If even one of our guys went down with an injury, we’d be in a lot of trouble.

thanks.

I think we'll try and run first with Carney and Newman to pull the linebackers in (hopefully, on the assumption we can get 3 and 5 yards per run in early) before we try and throw over the linebackers and in front of the safeties to Hinton and Freudenthal.

Some/most of this has been discussed, but all wrapped into one link, here's what I project Wake's depth chart to look like going into the Utah State game (actual depth chart will be released #onaTuesday):

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...ion_8a694447-8a21-5b85-8752-c5af9a3b67af.html
After reading the lineup, viewing the pics and clearly seeing Clawson & Co.’s well oiled machine, these DEACS look ready to upend the universe down in Death Valley. But the Aggies come first!

Watching some Utah St from last year:
- Damn, their offense was REALLY good
- Every single guy except Love (and Bright on a screen against Boise) that made plays is gone. Tarver was amazing and would have destroyed us last year, and Raymond would have had a field day in the middle against our safeties
- OL was very good...but again all gone

Nothing above hasn’t been pointed out, but after watching bad OL play by Miami last night, I am feeling a whole lot better about how tough of a task it will be Week 1 for Utah St to be breaking in an entire new OL, with entire new coaches.
If Wake was in same scenario we would be excited about our QB but extremely nervous and probably frustrated with what is around him. (Maybe similar to a Tanner Price year, as a Jordan Love lite but weak supporting cast?)

a7269eb5727cc7164e734e2a7c97a1a9.jpg

Here is Utah States Week One depth chart for anyone interested. As you can see, we only have two returning starters on offense, although Bright and Nathan played as much as some starters. We also have two redshirt freshman on the o line which is very scary as an Aggie fan.

a7269eb5727cc7164e734e2a7c97a1a9.jpg

Here is Utah States Week One depth chart for anyone interested. As you can see, we only have two returning starters on offense, although Bright and Nathan played as much as some starters. We also have two redshirt freshman on the o line which is very scary as an Aggie fan.

Thanks for providing. Any other sites you recommend to read more about USU?

Back