• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah St.

jamesda3

Reaction score
I don't get it. Yes they were good last year but they lost their coach and about 17 starters didn't they? Yet a lot seem to be afraid of them and they are getting A LOT of respect in the magazines. For what? Jordan Love alone? Yes he came in and picked us apart years ago but we were playing third string then.

They lose their coach and 80% of an 11 win team after one good season and get picked 18th. We lose Dortch, Glenn, 2 DL 3 OL and they drop us and think we struggle. But we also get back another NFL prospect Olinemen a starting CB and the majority of a depleted LB corps.

Not to mention Dortch barely played a little more than a complete season his two years. And our rb by committee I believe is going to make losing Colburn not as big of an issue. Beal-Smith and Delaney break out this year and we are deep at wr.

I don't get it. Yes they were good last year but they lost their coach and about 17 starters didn't they? Yet a lot seem to be afraid of them and they are getting A LOT of respect in the magazines. For what? Jordan Love alone? Yes he came in and picked us apart years ago but we were playing third string then.

They lose their coach and 80% of an 11 win team after one good season and get picked 18th. We lose Dortch, Glenn, 2 DL 3 OL and they drop us and think we struggle. But we also get back another NFL prospect Olinemen a starting CB and the majority of a depleted LB corps.

Really respect your evaluation but I’ve never seen WF play as well when favored as when unflavored against similarly manned schools. I’m

I'd rather be the underdog in this game.

Thought I heard the early line on this game is WF -3.

WF should be favored given their losses, but Utah State has brought in 50, yes five zero, new players to the their roster. Including a RB transfer from BYU who rushed for 110 yards in BYU's bowl win, a starting receiver from Utah and a bunch of JUCOs. In the opener, WF should have a big edge from a continuity perspective as Utah State will have a new coach (but an experienced one in Gary Andersen), and a ridiculous number of new players. Really hard to know how a team like that will come together. It will help Utah State that they have a stud QB, who was invited to participate in the Manning Passing Academy along with Tua Tagoailoa, Trevor Lawrence, Jake Fromm, Justin Herbert among others.

Lots of unknowns for the opener.

Really hope the D can continue the progress they were making at the end of the year. If the defense shows up like they were, we should win this handedly. If they play like the first 3/4 of the season, this will be a shootout.

Thought I heard the early line on this game is WF -3.

WF should be favored given their losses, but Utah State has brought in 50, yes five zero, new players to the their roster. Including a RB transfer from BYU who rushed for 110 yards in BYU's bowl win, a starting receiver from Utah and a bunch of JUCOs. In the opener, WF should have a big edge from a continuity perspective as Utah State will have a new coach (but an experienced one in Gary Andersen), and a ridiculous number of new players. Really hard to know how a team like that will come together. It will help Utah State that they have a stud QB, who was invited to participate in the Manning Passing Academy along with Tua Tagoailoa, Trevor Lawrence, Jake Fromm, Justin Herbert among others.

Lots of unknowns for the opener.

Can't imagine how anyone could bring in 50'new players. Are most not on scholarship?

Here is a link to an article on the Utah State website about the newcomers: https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2019/6/13/utah-state-football-adds-three-graduate-transfers-and-two-junior-college-players.aspx?path=football

A team is limited to 25 schollies a year, but a team can fiddle with the numbers to some extent if the previous class was less than 25. For example, if the 2018 recruiting class only had 15 players, Utah State could have 10 players enroll in the Spring of 2019 and count them as part of the 2018 recruiting class. Not sure how they got to 50.

It's College Football.

If our OL steps up big time this summer and against Utah St. gets a good push and we can run the ball, we will win. We will actually have linebackers on the field, which instantly helps us too.

If not, then it is Jordan Love with way too many reps, against our secondary.

CBS it's posted on the bloggersodear comments I believe

Here are the rankings: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/rankings/cbs-sports-ranking/. They gotta be post-bowl and not before the season, there's no way any team in the Top 25 wouldn't have seen more of a jump or fall than nine spots between the end of last season and the start of this.

Also Army jumped nine spots and that jives with their absolute mauling of Houston in their bowl. And no one is ranking Army #19 going into the season.

So no, nowhere on this Earth is Utah State the #18 team in the country right now

we won't get much respect after getting badly beaten by a terrible FSU team last year and losing by 17 at home by Syracuse last year .... if there are reasons we are better than last year the national media will not know that ....

I think people should take a deep breath about this Jordan Love guy and remember the absolute waxing the Deacs gave to Dave Gettleman's dream man and future Peyton Manning - Daniel Jones. Jordan Love is child's play compared to that beast of a QB!

Back