• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

Not much of substance to add, really. Spurs dominated more so than I've seen in a while, very fun. Darlow made a few nice saves, two off the woodwork etc. I believe the pen was the only SOG Newcastle had.

Oh, and VAR is ruining football. Absolutely ruining it. And like, of course I'd say that right now. But even before the call, they were drawing lines on the screen based on blurry pixels about whether there was offside before the "handball" even happened. (And the free kick call itself was absolutely insane.) It's all so so so dumb. Just call the fucking game and let them play.

ETA: Now I see that Sonny was subbed due to a hamstring injury. YAY sports!

Last edited:
Not much of substance to add, really. Spurs dominated more so than I've seen in a while, very fun. Darlow made a few nice saves, two off the woodwork etc. I believe the pen was the only SOG Newcastle had.

Oh, and VAR is ruining football. Absolutely ruining it. And like, of course I'd say that right now. But even before the call, they were drawing lines on the screen based on blurry pixels about whether there was offside before the "handball" even happened. (And the free kick call itself was absolutely insane.) It's all so so so dumb. Just call the fucking game and let them play.

ETA: Now I see that Sonny was subbed due to a hamstring injury. YAY sports!

Everton is currently 2-1 on VAR decisions this season so I say we keep it!

Just kidding although I think it’s so far been conducted much better this season than last. Officials are actually going to the monitor and owning their decisions, until like last year when their smoky room London overlords where just match fixing left and right with zero transparency. Like when Dele cleared an Everton corner with his arm raised above his head last season and they didn’t even review it.

Now the handball rule is a complete disaster, and needs to be written to allow for a silhouette or something along those lines. The problem is that most of these controversial calls are actually correct by the letter of the current law, it’s far too strict on incidental handballs.

I am going to laugh at the Spurs handball until tomorrow when we have a very similar handball go against us.

All joking aside, I have no idea how England has been so incompetent at implementing VAR. this handball rule is just part of it. Hell even the MLS has done a better job than the PL at using VAR to enhance the game rather than ruin it. It’s shocking honestly.

Oddly enough, even Steve Bruce came out after the game and said it was ridiculous and something needed to be done. Honorable, that.

To be clear, yes, it was the handball rule that was the biggest antagonist in today's game but I've come to be against VAR in general. Goals with no flags should be goals. The entire process is set up to either give bullshit penalties or take away good open play goals. Both of those detract from the game.

To be clear, yes, it was the handball rule that was the biggest antagonist in today's game but I've come to be against VAR in general. Goals with no flags should be goals. The entire process is set up to either give bullshit penalties or take away good open play goals. Both of those detract from the game.

I was actually fine with it being an offside bot last year but for 1) the amount of times they REEEEEAAAALLLLLYYYYYY tried to take away Arsenal goals and 2) how often they would spend 5 minutes flipping between 2 frames and still not know which was the correct one. VAR is also very useful for plays away from the ball (Joey Barton Specials). But its application in England, especially this year, is a travesty.

offsides rule should be changed such that the last part of your body needs to be onsides not that the first part of your body cannot be off

and this Peacock thing is so annoying

offsides rule should be changed such that the last part of your body needs to be onsides not that the first part of your body cannot be off

and this Peacock thing is so annoying

But then they'll just draw stupid made up lines to the last part of your body instead (never spending any time looking at when the ball is actually played - which changes those lines entirely).

Offside reviews should just be a 3 second look at the replay, no lines. You only call offside if it's absolutely obvious in those 3 seconds. Done. It won't fix the linesmen keeping their flags down to let plays finish, but I don't see a way around that. They just need to get better at only allowing uncertain plays to continue rather than everything just to be safe.

The Premier League is still so far behind every other league in how they handle it. I almost never get aggravated with other leagues' use of VAR anymore.

As pointed out last season, the lines are fucking stupid because the PL cameras cannot pinpoint the exact moment when A) the ball is struck or B) where players are at that instant the ball is played.

The new handball rule is stupid too and Steve Bruce is right that its a farce at this point.

A stunning effort from Lacazette, what a peach of a goal.

Back