• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2019/2020 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I might say it every week, but Leeds is what soccer should be. Crisp passing, tons of movement off the ball, players willing to take risks and run nonstop. They've absolutely dominated Wolves this first half, just haven't found the net.

Yeah they’re a delight.

^ and there it is

If I'm the PL I tell them to walk. This Euro Super League will fail long term, especially with TV deals only going backwards following the pandemic, and China taking itself out of the market. Having the big Euro clubs play each other all the time removes the novelty of the CL, and by eliminating local rivalries the clubs will lose a lot of local fans and the gate money that comes with it. Half empty stadiums will reflect poorly on the competition and interest will wane. Also if the domestic leagues cut these clubs out of the loan market they will have to dramatically shrink their rosters and lose out on the money that comes with developing young talent, which is a massive source of profit in today's football economy. Being the champion of England means more to most English fans than the CL, so these breakaway clubs will lose a lot in that regard as well.

Let any team that leaves re-join the English pyramid in the eighth division.

Last edited:
Ugh. I hope that never comes to fruition, but I'm afraid that one day it will.

In other news, Arsenal has dropped Ozil from it's PL squad. He won't be able to play in any games until at least January except for U-23 games. His fall from grace has been meteoric. So much wasted talent.

Also I'd like to issue a mea culpa of sorts.

I do apologize for gloating about VVD's injury, I don't generally wish harm upon individual players (unless I really don't like them) even if I think their employers are evil and their "club" a complete sham. I hope VVD comes back sooner than later and that is recovery is successful and pain free, even if I don't mind him missing a chunk of the season because I want his team to fail.

Secondly I know there are a plenty of decent Liverpool fans, just as not all UNC and Duke fans are terrible. Hell I'm married to a UNC alum. I might not respect the choice of which bandwagon you hitched yourself to but i'm sure you are all fine folk. And if I insinuated differently, I do apologize.

^ and there it is

If I'm the PL I tell them to walk. This Euro Super League will fail long term, especially with TV deals only going backwards following the pandemic, and China taking itself out of the market. Having the big Euro clubs play each other all the time removes the novelty of the CL, and by eliminating local rivalries the clubs will lose a lot of local fans and the gate money that comes with it. Half empty stadiums will reflect poorly on the competition and interest will wane. Also if the domestic leagues cut these clubs out of the loan market they will have to dramatically shrink their rosters and lose out on the money that comes with developing young talent, which is a massive source of profit in today's football economy. Being the champion of England means more to most English fans than the CL, so these breakaway clubs will lose a lot in that regard as well.

Let any team that leaves re-join the English pyramid in the eighth division.

LOL

I don't want it to happen but a Euro League would be a success TV wise. And, sadly, it is bound to happen one day. People have been talking about it for well over a decade now.

Ugh. I hope that never comes to fruition, but I'm afraid that one day it will.

In other news, Arsenal has dropped Ozil from it's PL squad. He won't be able to play in any games until at least January except for U-23 games. His fall from grace has been meteoric. So much wasted talent.

Rarely has a man done so little with so much.

I look forward to his book where he blames everyone but himself. :popcorn:

I haven't read any articles so forgive me, but if that European league thing happens, do the teams leave their domestic leagues to play? Is this backed by FIFA or a 3rd party? Someone give me the ELI5 pls

I haven't read any articles so forgive me, but if that European league thing happens, do the teams leave their domestic leagues to play? Is this backed by FIFA or a 3rd party? Someone give me the ELI5 pls
"Liverpool and Manchester United are in talks about a bombshell plot involving Europe's biggest football clubs to join a new FIFA-backed tournament that would reshape the sport's global landscape."

LOL

I don't want it to happen but a Euro League would be a success TV wise. And, sadly, it is bound to happen one day. People have been talking about it for well over a decade now.

It won't work for the reasons I listed, and because the clubs involved will sabotage it themselves. American style closed leagues work because the teams are a collective. There's a salary cap, entry draft, TV revenue sharing, etc - all designed to create parody. You think Real Madrid and Juventus are going to agree to that? It will only be a few short years until the bottom clubs of this new league (which Arsenal will be if still run by Kroenke) will be begging to rejoin their domestic leagues. The super league may do well with newer fans in international (Asian) markets, but the long term fans of teams who are use to regularly finishing in high places will not enjoy becoming bottom dwellers of this new league. Not to mention the loss of local rivalries. I think a lot of the disinterest you see in college sports today stems from conference realignment, and it is hard to think of any big brand that has benefitted from destroying old rivalries. Tradition matters with something as tribal as community based sports.

Man U, Liverpool, etc. will also be forfeiting the English marketplace the moment they leave. If the clubs goal to is to become a global all-star team, then okay, but I expect those clubs to lose a lot of interest, fans, and money back home. Also with UEFA being frozen out you could see individual FA's giving these clubs the boot as well. Which means that SuperLeague players may not be allowed to play in UEFA competitions, for club or country. Naturally FIFA would welcome them to the World Cup, but the Euros will suffer tremendously.

Now this is assuming that the other 15 (apparently only 5 of the Sky6 are invited) PL step up and boot them from the competition. Which would make sense since the leaving clubs would not give precedence to the domestic league since there is no incentive to finish higher up the domestic table. These break away clubs would also want the fixtures scheduled around them, especially if the new SuperLeague tries to take over weekends.

You could also see certain domestic leagues refusing to sell players to the super league teams, which would starve the new league of young talent for the first couple of years. And as I pointed out earlier, the inability to loan out backlogged young talent would severely hurt the pocket books of these "super teams" as well. I get that its a short term cash grab, and it appeals to brands with no competitive ambition, but in the long term this league will severely hurt European football. The game will have to shrink dramatically, and interest in Europe will dwindle. Hundreds of millions of fans will no longer have any interest in the European pyramid.

That all being said if I was MLS I would be licking my lips around now. The closed SuperLeague will kill off all the other teams (which is its goal BTW, to end competition) and MLS could set itself up to be the one rival to this new league.

Last edited:
I don't think you've read the proposal for how this new competition would work...

"Liverpool and Manchester United are in talks about a bombshell plot involving Europe's biggest football clubs to join a new FIFA-backed tournament that would reshape the sport's global landscape."

Well that helped like 20% I guess

this part is lame:

As part of that blueprint, the founder clubs could not be relegated for 20 years, although the remaining teams would be subject to being replaced depending upon their league position at the end of each season.

Villa and Leeds have a big game on Friday. Villa trying to make it a perfect 5 for 5 start. Helps the relegation battle lol

It's intent is to supplant CL not domestic leagues.

I get their intent, but it’s not feasible to play two full seasons in one year. You’re looking at 75+ games without any other cup competitions. In addition to that the SuperLeague will look to alter the PL schedule dramatically in order to reserve the best dates for their matches (weekends). This, along with the Super League teams fielding lesser teams due to match congestion and their protection against Super League relegation, would severely hurt the PL. I can’t see any domestic leagues allowing their breakaway teams to remain.

Also I'd like to issue a mea culpa of sorts.

I do apologize for gloating about VVD's injury, I don't generally wish harm upon individual players (unless I really don't like them) even if I think their employers are evil and their "club" a complete sham. I hope VVD comes back sooner than later and that is recovery is successful and pain free, even if I don't mind him missing a chunk of the season because I want his team to fail.

Secondly I know there are a plenty of decent Liverpool fans, just as not all UNC and Duke fans are terrible. Hell I'm married to a UNC alum. I might not respect the choice of which bandwagon you hitched yourself to but i'm sure you are all fine folk. And if I insinuated differently, I do apologize.

Thank you.

[FONT=&quot]The Liverpool manager and midfielder are in Amsterdam for the Champions League opener against Ajax on Wednesday but it was their Merseyside rivals who were the main focus – and target – of a combative press conference. Wijnaldum said Liverpool players endured a sleepless night on Saturday after Van Dijk [/FONT]damaged an anterior cruciate ligament[FONT=&quot] and remain devastated four days on[/FONT]
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...h-attack-on-completely-stupid-jordan-pickford

My sincerest thoughts and prayers go out to Liverpool during this most difficult time as Virgil van Dijk's injury is the first in Premier League history. :(

Back