• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Coach Rankings

That's pretty solid, but there are several guys in front of him on that list I wouldn't take over Clawson at a fraction of the price.

Besides Cut, who would you not take?

Who on that list 1-32 do you think would do a better job at Wake Forest, not necessarily anywhere, but specifically Wake Forest than Clawson? I really don’t think there is a lot. A lot of those guys ahead of him couldn’t handle a situation like Wake Forest. Dabo for instance wouldn’t succeed where he didn’t have the budget to hire the best assistants available. I think we’ve got about as good a guy for us as we can realistically get is all I’m saying and I think he is as good a coach as several in front of him on that list, IMHO.

Who on that list 1-32 do you think would do a better job at Wake Forest, not necessarily anywhere, but specifically Wake Forest than Clawson? I really don’t think there is a lot. A lot of those guys ahead of him couldn’t handle a situation like Wake Forest. Dabo for instance wouldn’t succeed where he didn’t have the budget to hire the best assistants available. I think we’ve got about as good a guy for us as we can realistically get is all I’m saying and I think he is as good a coach as several in front of him on that list, IMHO.
Agree. I opined the same thing about Dabo on Facebook and was lambasted by Donald Ross and others.

Clawson my be #33 on this list, but he's #1 on mine.

Two football coaches in a row have succeeded at Wake.
Two basketball coaches in a row have failed at Wake.

Talent is much more important than this mystical trait of "getting Wake" that a lot of you like to tell yourselves.

It's not the X's and the O's but the Jimmys and the Joes.

Two football coaches in a row have succeeded at Wake.
Two basketball coaches in a row have failed at Wake.

Talent is much more important than this mystical trait of "getting Wake" that a lot of you like to tell yourselves.

Wouldn't this be an argument in favor of needing a quality coach?

Some guys are recruiters, some guys are X's and O's gurus. You've got your Steve Jobs styles and your Steve Wozniacs. The best are both or at least have assistants that compensate, but both styles can have success.

I'd say Claw maybe hedges more towards the Jobs, but he seems to have hired assistants to help out with his offensive deficiencies. Of course, the other team not having our playbook helps.

Last edited:
Clawson my be #33 on this list, but he's #1 on mine.

#1 on my list as well. After all, none of those ahead and only a few behind him would ever become realistic candidates for head coaching at WF. This ranking is something to openly be proud about. I do believe you usually perform better where your personality fits better. Clawson & Co. and WF are a great fit. Dave Clawson is more of a “Wake Forest guy” than most before him.

#1 on my list as well. After all, none of those ahead and only a few behind him would ever become realistic candidates for head coaching at WF. This ranking is something to openly be proud about. I do believe you usually perform better where your personality fits better. Clawson & Co. and WF are a great fit. Dave Clawson is more of a “Wake Forest guy” than most before him.

+1

Back