• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

Well my effort to cut back on guitars has failed, as I bought another BASS guitar this week. Nothing fancy, just a mid-priced Schecter, but grabbed it off the shelf to play at GC and really liked the way it played. Feels like it may be a bit of a smaller scale but not sure about that. Any bass heads out there have any insight into this particular model? I have a Schecter 12 string electric that I really like too. Seems like they make pretty solid guitars for a good price. http://www.schecterguitars.com/bass/stiletto-stealth-4-lh-detail

What kind of music do you play?

I love the Laney Lionheart. In fact, I have a Laney Lionheart L5t 112 combo too. It's a fantastic bedroom amp at 5 watts and sounds great at lower volumes, but it can get REALLY loud for 5 watts. Totally giggable amp for most venues.

That amp sounds incredible! I saw Killswitch Engage use the 20W version and it was great. My roadster on brit or tweed mode can get there but not like that. I might have to check one out for certain.

My primary instrument is guitar in an 80s new wave cover band. I do not play bass unless I'm screwing around with my own music, which runs the gamut from rock to shoegaze.

Most of the time, I see Schecter guitars and basses on stages with metal bands. On the other hand, I saw someone with an ESP bass playing jazz. It is all about how you EQ it and the amp.

Most of the time, I see Schecter guitars and basses on stages with metal bands. On the other hand, I saw someone with an ESP bass playing jazz. It is all about how you EQ it and the amp.

Yeah they have a rep for that. For a mid-range bass, though, this one seemed to have pretty good tonal controls where you can get something thick or something more akin to a Geddy Lee tone. The look of it is definitely more metal, though, as are their guitars in general.

Funny you mention ESP since that was my second ever electric guitar purchase (as opposed to 2nd ever bass). I have an old ESP LTD which was my second guitar purchase ever. Looks pretty dated, but plays well with the low action and jumbo frets. Sounds pretty good too. It's an H-200 I think.

Picked up a Joe Bonamassa Epi Firebird I last week. Got the gold one first...TSB model is on the way...well...maybe within a month. There have been a couple delays on getting the gold one...

I have a gig Saturday night where it will get put though its paces. Will post some pics and give a report first of the week.

Anyone have an idea on a fair price for a 2008 American Strat with a Fender Super Champ XD?

Anyone have an idea on a fair price for a 2008 American Strat with a Fender Super Champ XD?

If it's an American Standard (not Deluxe) Strat then I would say in the $950-$1150 area if it's in very good condition. The Champ would be about $200-$225.

If it's an American Standard (not Deluxe) Strat then I would say in the $950-$1150 area if it's in very good condition. The Champ would be about $200-$225.
Thanks. Looking to sell my stuff. Guitar is mint - probably played less than 10 hours.

I'd say if you can sell the pair for a grand, you'll be in decent shape. If I were looking to acquire those two as a pair, I'd personally be looking to come in under a grand, but I drive a hard bargain. :)

Rooted up this old thread with a question for those who know more than me.

In wanting to re-frame my life away from work and toward things I actually enjoy, I've been wanting to buy another electric guitar (sold mine before moving west) and actually take lessons or something so that I actually know what I'm doing. I've played guitar forever just not in a trained/polished manner, just enjoying myself on an acoustic.

So, as somewhat of intermediate player who has no real current aspirations of recording or gigging (but may someday), I'm looking for something in the $500-$1000 range to get restarted. Two craigslist offerings have drawn my attention and I'm curious which the Pit thinks would be better. Both are essentially new Fender Player Series models (Mexican) of the latest iteration:

Strat for $550
Jaguar for $450
HSS Strat + Amp for $600

Thoughts?

ETA: Will also need to pick up an amp (suitable for an apartment so... tiny) if you have any suggestions. Haven't researched this yet.

Last edited:
The Player series would be a great way to get back into things for a good price. That first strat looks like a good deal. I’m not a fan of Jaguars or HSS strats personally, but you should have plenty of versatility and ease of use with that strat.

For inexpensive amps in a small space, in a huge fan of the Boss Katana series. Inexpensive, has tons of effects built in so you won’t have to buy those, and headphone jack to play without anyone knowing. I use a Katana 50 at home when kids are asleep and it has been great for that.

Thanks bud. Others have rec'd Fender Champion 20 for an apartment amp?

I think I'm going after that buttercream strat. Plus, the guy just dropped it to $500 and it's in the city.

I've got a Fender Mustang GT amp, which is small but powerful and has a ton of pre-set effects so you don't need pedals to mess around with sound. My wife got it for me for my birthday last year and I really like it.

I agree with GuacAir on the Boss Katana. Either that or the newest Yamaha THR 10II series. For bedroom playing, it's actually really good to have an amp like that you can plug your headphones. I do that a lot. Headphones into amp with backing tracks from my phone coming through as well. I have actually gigged with the Katana.

Sweet, will keep those in mind. Definitely planning on sitting the amp a few feet off the ground (possibly inset in an ikea shelving unit) and plugging in phones. I am paranoid about being a good neighbor.

Ended up buying the buttercream strat (looks so sexy) for $500 and the dude gave me a ride home (two dummies trusting each other too much). The magic of craigslist.

Congrats on the new guitar!

“Steal a man’s wallet, he will be poor for a day. Teach him guitar, he will be broke forever!”

Hard to go wrong with a Strat (says the guy who has 6)! You'll be happy with it. You might consider a pro set-up if it hasn't had one.

That Player Series combines economy and solid workmanship. A notable value, indeed! I've owned a ton of guitars over the years...lots of Strats from vintage to modern, including Custom Shop. I have two $600 Strats that get gigged on the reg. Both Custom Shop designed, but manufactured across the border. They're killer.

I don't know what your budget is for an amp...or what you want out of one. If looking for a small 'inside' amp, I'd look at a vintage Fender Vibro Champ (or Bronco...same amp, just different name and lettering color). Stick with the models produced in the late 60's/early 70's. (Silverface) It will retain its value over time.

Happy hunting! A lifelong obsession for me!

Never played in my life until COVID. Bought a Breedlove guitar about 6 weeks ago and have been practicing about an hour a day(or as long as baby and wife permit) since I bought it. Having a blast and can play a few easy songs already.

Back