• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

Long time viewer, first time poster here. (Be gentle!)

I’ve followed this post for a while… really enjoy the insights about playing guitar and guitar equipment. I must say I’m kind of intimidated by the expertise on this thread. I’ve played for a long time, but I’m still many steps down from an expert.

I have a question about a particular chord. It’s an E7 chord fretted like a top of the neck C7, played four frets down the neck, and letting the open high and low E strings “ring” along too. I’ve used this chord in my versions of Canned Ham, Wooly Bully, Susie Q, etc. I’ve never been able to find a chord diagram for this chord, or heard anyone mention it. I’s not quite a top of the neck chord, or a barre chord.

I’m curious if any of you have a name for this particular chord configuration, or you know any songs that use this chord in the original key?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

I don't know what your budget is for an amp...or what you want out of one. If looking for a small 'inside' amp, I'd look at a vintage Fender Vibro Champ (or Bronco...same amp, just different name and lettering color). Stick with the models produced in the late 60's/early 70's. (Silverface) It will retain its value over time.

Happy hunting! A lifelong obsession for me!

Good info! Just placed an order for an open box Orange Crush 12. Seems like a nice quality for small spaces. There's plenty of time for more in the future

Strat could use a setup. There's a bit of fret buzz etc. but it's not like I'm gigging or anything, just enjoying myself.

I should also ask if anyone knows of any nice online resources for learning lead guitar or any fun songs for beginner lead. Maybe something in the mold of X or The Replacements.

Last edited:
Long time viewer, first time poster here. (Be gentle!)

I’ve followed this post for a while… really enjoy the insights about playing guitar and guitar equipment. I must say I’m kind of intimidated by the expertise on this thread. I’ve played for a long time, but I’m still many steps down from an expert.

I have a question about a particular chord. It’s an E7 chord fretted like a top of the neck C7, played four frets down the neck, and letting the open high and low E strings “ring” along too. I’ve used this chord in my versions of Canned Ham, Wooly Bully, Susie Q, etc. I’ve never been able to find a chord diagram for this chord, or heard anyone mention it. I’s not quite a top of the neck chord, or a barre chord.

I’m curious if any of you have a name for this particular chord configuration, or you know any songs that use this chord in the original key?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

This is a fairly standard Blues in E chord shape. Learn the root note and you can move it up and down the fret board. I'm not really sure what your question about it is. E/A/B is a standard 1,4,5 progression and is easy to play with this chord shape as E7/A7/B7.

This is a fairly standard Blues in E chord shape. Learn the root note and you can move it up and down the fret board. I'm not really sure what your question about it is. E/A/B is a standard 1,4,5 progression and is easy to play with this chord shape as E7/A7/B7.

Thanks for the info Wuffey. Yes, the chord does have a good blues flavor to it. I do usually use it for the E7/A7/B7 pattern.

I went to this website https://www.oolimo.com/guitarchords/analyze and got this info:

E7
G#(b5,b6,no3) G#(b5,no3)/E Dsus2(#11) Dsus2(#11)/E

I tried to google each of the above chords and never got a single chord diagram for it.

I guess I’m asking for a “name” for this chord that would tell another player what it was. If I said play a “Blues in E chord“ to another guitarist, would he likely know that it’s this chord? I don’t know much, if any, music theory. I rarely move this chord up or down the neck … I use it to get the extra “ring” of the open high and low E strings.

Thanks again

Thanks for the info Wuffey. Yes, the chord does have a good blues flavor to it. I do usually use it for the E7/A7/B7 pattern.

I went to this website https://www.oolimo.com/guitarchords/analyze and got this info:

E7
G#(b5,b6,no3) G#(b5,no3)/E Dsus2(#11) Dsus2(#11)/E

I tried to google each of the above chords and never got a single chord diagram for it.

I guess I’m asking for a “name” for this chord that would tell another player what it was. If I said play a “Blues in E chord“ to another guitarist, would he likely know that it’s this chord? I don’t know much, if any, music theory. I rarely move this chord up or down the neck … I use it to get the extra “ring” of the open high and low E strings.

Thanks again

Yep, start thinking and learning that chords have multiple shapes and places on the fret board. If I play open E and you played the E7 you describe it will sound fine together. Learning different chord shapes and the scales that go with them is the key to "jamming" with others. I'll add that the fastest way to learn this is to find people to play with. I always wondered how somebody could play with others with just a "hey let's play the blues in E" but once you get in that situation you figure it out. The solos are all part of the pentatonic or 5 note or blues scales associated with those chords. I'm talking primarily of blues or rock styles. jazz has its own standard chords, scales and progressions. Popular western music is more pattern oriented than most think. We have learned that 1,4,5 and relative minor sounds good to our ear. You can get away with throwing a 2 chord in there easily enough as well. This is the basis of most of the songs that you know. Use a major key/scale and put the beat on the 2 and 4 and walk the bass line and you have a pop song. Probably not a good one but you have one. Use a minor key/scale and boom you're playing the blues. Switch the beat to 1 and 3 using a major key and you're on your way to covering Bob Marley.

Thanks for your insights Wuffey.

Yes, there are so many ways to play guitar… the guitar is one of the best instruments to play, either as a raw beginner up to a super advanced player. Three chords and the truth, Chet Atkins, or Jimi Hendrix!

Glad to see this thread get some new life during the pandemic. Lots of people learning music, while musicians resort to slobbing knob for a few extra bucks.

Have had 3 gigs since this all started, all outdoors. Taking a break until this passes for now.

Did take advantage of it all to write new tunes though. That’s always a lot of fun for me, but comes at the expense of me ignoring others so I’m glad when I’m done. Didn’t overthink this project, though, which was nice. Just wrote, recorded, mixed with relative ease compared to past adventures. Definitely kept it simple, stupid. The pandemic provides plenty of lyrical material.

Good info! Just placed an order for an open box Orange Crush 12. Seems like a nice quality for small spaces. There's plenty of time for more in the future

Strat could use a setup. There's a bit of fret buzz etc. but it's not like I'm gigging or anything, just enjoying myself.

Just wanted to concur with mercurydime about the Fender Vibro Champ… great vintage amp. It really had a lot of volume for it’s size back in the day. If you’re looking for a fun, easy to carry amp, the Vox Mini 3 has a lot of volume for it’s size (roughly 9”by 9”by7”), it has built in sounds and effects, and you can play it with batteries. Happy playing!

Back