• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

Bros, I'm looking for another guitar to pair with my strat. I'm right now thinking either thinline tele or epiphone dot. I sometimes play with this punk band and my strat tone doesn't really fit in that well, not sure if either of these would completely solve that.

Also I'm trying to do some home recording onto my computer, but just using the 1/4-3.5mm adapter isn't doing too well on its own, anyone have suggestions there?

Which one of these do you prefer the Jaguar or the Telecaster? I know they differ with your specific playing style but has anyone had any experience with either? I've only played the Jaguar.

1__55555.1283274442.1280.1280.jpg

Most-expensive-guitar-1949-Fender-Broadcaster-prototype.jpg

Can't go wrong with a tele. A jag can get you a wide array of sounds that are almost tele and/or almost strat, but not quite either. A jag also looks cooler.

Telecaster all the way. Should you decide you don't like it, might be easier to re-sell than the Jag. No greater guitar for "form follows function" than the Telecaster.

Bros, I'm looking for another guitar to pair with my strat. I'm right now thinking either thinline tele or epiphone dot. I sometimes play with this punk band and my strat tone doesn't really fit in that well, not sure if either of these would completely solve that.

Also I'm trying to do some home recording onto my computer, but just using the 1/4-3.5mm adapter isn't doing too well on its own, anyone have suggestions there?

The Tele is probably not going to solve that (unless...is it the '72 reissue equipped with humbuckers?). Strats and Teles both (as standard) employ single coil pickups. Not that those can't be used for punk, but the Dot might be a better bet for tonal variation with the humbuckers...especially with overdrive/distortion.

What kind of amp are you using?

I own one of each of the Thinline and the Dot. And while I don't do punk (any more), I do need to rock at times, and both serve me well depending on the application.

If you are going to get serious about home recording, you might think about getting another sound card for your computer that has 1/4 inch I/O.

Last edited:
Teles can definitely be used for punk and were back in the day. Is there another guitarist and what will he/she be playing? That should inform your decision as well.

One thing I've always liked about teles is they cut through the mix live without a problem and they always manage to sound "full" in spite of being a guitar that lives in the upper frequency range. They never sound tinny to me.

Yep, it's the 72 reissue w humbuckers -- definitely looking for something with those to complement the strat. My amp is a vox pathfinder mini stack, although I usually play through one of those huge Marshalls at the rehearsal studio. The punk thing is more of a secondary concern since I really don't enjoy playing it that much -- I'm mostly going for the Keith Richards style.

Is there a solid GarageBand equivalent for PC? Ill check out the sound card -- not looking for anything studio quality, just want to lay down done multitracks easier than having to use a loop pedal.

Yep, one of the biggest reasons I wanted to get a legitimate second axe is because I'm too lazy to constantly switch between standard and open tuning. Considering whether to go 5-string on the open as well, that's probably too limiting, especially if I'm ever going to do any punk stuff.

Go with the Tele. I have 6 Teles and I love them. The pic you showed is of a Fender Road Worn MIM and those are FANTASTIC.

I also recommend the new Fender Chris Schiflett signature Tele. It's a dual humbucker Tele and is a great guitar that's very versatile. I have one and love it.

For your recording on a PC try Scuffham S Gear. It's great for effects and recording with a PC. Trust me on this one. http://www.scuffhamamps.com/product

Last edited:
Looking at the Fender website, I was surprised J's guitar was so much cheaper than the other signature models. But I don't know anything about guitars.

I need to go to my local GC and pick up some teles. I have a billion guitars and no teles (or SGs). What kind of bullshit is that?

I'm dead serious. This can be done as a group even from different locations. Let's do it mercury

I am game. We need to determine the "attitude" (angry, wry, tongue in cheek, aggressive, clever?) of the flagship composition. I have steady flow of musicians in and out of the studio here...and all the instruments necessary to track any basics: Great drum kit, Ampeg Portaflex bass amp, Hammond B3...and of course, loads of guitars and amps.

My initial thought is that we need to consider composing in a minor key. You know it's serious music when it's written in a minor key :)

We can share files via dropbox. We can do this.

Further discussion expected...and appreciated.

Last edited:
Back