• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

Tweed Deluxe-5E3 Build

I finished this build today. It's a slightly modded take on the venerable Fender 5E3 Deluxe circuit. I have the cabinets and chassis made. The speakers I order made as well (I generally use Weber). Tubes are NOS from a stock I've accumulated over time.

Deluxe-5E3-Build_001.JPG

More pics here: http://www.blantonemusic.com/5E3.html

Sounds killer right out the gate. It's a blues/rock machine. I am going to do a slow forming of the electrolytic capacitors on a Variac. Soon as I get that done, I'll try and post some clips.

LOL. I bought a cheap pedal board for $50. It was $100 off. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a PA system that is marked down $500 today.

Most of the good amps aren't on any special sale it seems, just some minis and acoustic amps.

Gibsons are marked down big time, not gonna do it though. Must be strong.

LOL. I bought a cheap pedal board for $50. It was $100 off. Thinking about pulling the trigger on a PA system that is marked down $500 today.

Most of the good amps aren't on any special sale it seems, just some minis and acoustic amps.

Gibsons are marked down big time, not gonna do it though. Must be strong.

I am like 2 seconds from buying a Ukelele haha.

New Amp Build: ~25 Watt 5E5A-style

AMPS_015.JPG

New amp just completed here; with its sidekick Epi Sorrento re-issue. (Flying V photo bomb) :)

AMPS_006.JPG

AMPS_003.JPG

If you'd like to see more, you can visit the studio's site at this page:

http://www.blantonemusic.com/5E5A.html

I have one more 5E3 style in the beginning stages. I am going to modify this particular one to suit a harp player associate of mine (whose requirements are a bit different from us guitar wankers...especially in a 'live' setting)...and, there are two more amps in the works, one of which is a ~25-30 watter with 2 X 10 inch speakers. I am offering 8 standard models initially, but will build most anything someone could want. It's a long way from the MSD Latin degree, huh?

:cool:

I bought this cheap pedal board and I'm getting a nasty hum when my Boss DS-1 is plugged into the power source on the board. I have a battery in there too and when I take out the power jack from the pedal, the hum is completely gone. It doesn't seem to be an issue for any of the other pedals. Seems to be isolated to the DS-1.

Any ideas?

I got a Wake Forest colors (on purpose) G&L Legacy Special for Christmas.

7d67878a0dba2378b12d45f8917df20f_zps01039396.jpg

d4eb3ae309a698849d69bc3277fb1f76_zps18fbe7ae.jpg

The G&L Legacy™ Special blends contemporary refinements from the Leo Fender†-designed S-500™ and Comanche® models with potent blade 'buckers designed by Paul Gagon . And not all blade pickups are the same; while all humbucking, there's a fine line between going for power and losing that characteristic chime and quack or classic single coils. If you're up for a meatier tone but don't want to stray too far, the Legacy Special makes for an excellent choice.

Just like the Alnico-equipped Legacy, the Legacy Special includes Leo’s PTB™ (Passive Treble and Bass) system which functions on all three pickups for dramatically more variety than the vintage setup. What’s more, the Legacy Special features a Leo Fender-designed Dual-Fulcrum vibrato, a work of engineering art which allows bending up or down with unsurpassed stability, while offering a silky feel through its beefy aluminum vibrato arm. The Legacy Specials’s hard-rock maple neck features an easy-playing satin finish, while its 12” radius lets you bend notes deeply and its Plek-dressed medium-jumbo nickel frets deliver silky playability. The moment you open the luxurious deluxe Tolex hardshell case, you’ll be greeted with a stunning instrument and delicious aroma that’ll have your pulse racing.

Founded by Leo Fender in 1980, G&L USA instruments continue to be made in the historic G&L facility on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California, the Birthplace of Bolt-on™.

BTTT

Anyone on here have any experience with a ToneRite? I picked up a 2007 Martin 000-28 brand new in 2012 from a store in Chicago. They focus on higher end instruments and don't move much in the Standard line, so this one had been there for 5 years and went on clearance, so I snatched it up. I didn't check the serial number on it until I went to register it online and even the store was surprised it was that old.

I've had it professionally set-up and it sounds and plays much better, but it sat unplayed for the first five years of its life as a guitar and I don't get to play all that much, with work and other obligations confining my playing time mostly to the weekend (if that). When I do get to play, the tone seems rather dull at times. Plus I have other guitars that also need playing time and there just isn't enough to go around.

I've never looked into ToneRite before but came across them in a review of another instrument and thought I'd see if anyone has any experience with them, positive or negative? Is this all a bunch of bunk?

Last edited:
So I've been on a gear rampage in the last 6 months or so. Not content with my previous 8 guitars, I had to splurge for 3 more. Got a couple Fender signature models (Lee Ranaldo Jazzmaster, Dave Murray Strat), as well as a 12 string Schecter Shoegazer off of e-Bay for about 150 under list price. And then I went out and finally got me a Vox AC30 (the C2 red combo, not a vintage one).

Gotta say that it has kind of inspired more of what I've been wanting to play for years now. The Vox is a classic amp used by many classic bands, but also one that is used abundantly these days and in the past by shoegazer bands. The 12 string through it just sparkles, particularly in single coil mode. The Jazzmaster glows. I jack up my reverb and delay and go to town with it. Truth be told, I haven't even gotten around to fiddling with the Strat or Jag or Les Paul on it yet, because I'm having way too much fun with these. Thank God I don't have a Telecaster or else I probably never would've gotten around to the Jazzmaster on it.

Anyway, thought I'd mix it up a bit on this board to all the pretentious musician types into a thread where they can have a circle jerk about their favorite gear.

Oh, pedal setup at the moment consists of Korg Pitchblack tuner > Son Of A Bee fuzz (Stomp Under Foot) > Vox wah > Marshall Shredmaster clone > Analogman mini-chorus > MXR mini-flanger > MXR EVH phaser > Hardwire Reverb > Hardwire Delay... I have some other fun pedals sitting off by the wayside too like the Boss Space Echo and the Digitech Whammy that I simply don't have the room for on my board. I also probably need to hook add my A-B switch if I'm going to play through the AC30 and want to use its gain channel.

30125d1419671721-message-nj-deer-drivers-fat-ugly-man.jpg

Back