• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

^^^ All my initial concerns, and some that I didn't even know I had have been assuaged! :)

So, is this the guitar that seems to be giving you tonal challenges?

Yeah it's nothing terrible really and is probably all in my head. If there is anything to it, it's probably more attributable to lack of play, both pre and post acquisition for me. I pulled it out this weekend after posting last week. It plays fantastic and does really respond well to fingerpicking. It also "lived" in Chicago for five years before coming to my house in DC, with all of the humidity not usually present up there. It's also winter right now so I'm guessing the wood is probably pretty tight.

I guess I was just curious if anyone had any experience with a ToneRite, as I had never come across them before. I can see some wisdom to it, but I'm also pretty skeptical and slightly concerned about potential damage from use. I'm not super into tone like many people seem to be online, it just feels like it could be more lively at times.

I assume you changed the strings? Usually, that's the first problem when tone goes to shit. If it's a Martin, you shouldn't need any gimmicks to improve its tone.

Is ToneRite an electric pickup to let you play it through an amp? Those are always going to be hit and miss, and contingent as much upon the amp as the pickup.

Yeah the strings are fine and the action was substantially better after a professional set-up, though I never considered the action an issue to begin with. This is not necessarily a new problem per se, just an overall experience thus far.

I should have prefaced this all by saying that my only other time spent with an acoustic is on a D-sized Martin knock-off with laminate back and sides. The real 000 with real rosewood is a whole new game and does sound substantially better. Perhaps I'm missing a little of the oomph from the larger body, though the 000 is definitely more comfortable to me. I'm also just playing by myself so I'm not worried about volume or keeping up with anyone else.

The ToneRite is not a pickup. You supposedly place it near the bridge and leave it for some period of time while it vibrates to "break-in" the guitar. Again, I'm highly skeptical and truly would have a hard time justifying buying this thing when I could just try to carve out more time playing somehow. I looked into it for about 5 minutes and then decided to post here to see if anyone had any actual experience before I go down the YouTube rabbit hole.

I'd be skeptical too. Try to get as much info from reviews, etc, online before you buy.

anyone ever try to get into a brass instrument or sax? i'm thinkin about buying a trumpet or alto sax but wondering how steep the learning curve is gonna be and if having guitar skillz translates much if at all.

Where did everyone go the past 8-9 months? Looking for some buying advice for an electric guitar and associated gear.. Never played in my life, retired and now have plenty of time and some $$$ to spend.... Been researching like crazy the past week or so, online and at shops...so damn confusing! Just looking for a new hobby around the house. Will go the "new" route since I don't know enough to look at used guitars and don't wanted to get ripped off, etc.

pics_varied.html
If one has the money to buy "name brand", that's what I always suggest. If you should ever decide to get rid of the equipment, it's generally easier to sell Gibson, Fender, etc.

I've been playing Gibsons more here lately, but I am a Fender Strat guy for the most part after all these years. It's a versatile instrument. I have always run a 'straight Strat' setup...single coil pickups...no humbuckers. Lots of Strat options out there, though, including the HSS (Hum/Singe/Single) pup configuration. Your best quality with Fenders will be in descending order: American, Japanese, Mexican...and the rest...I own some of each, and they're all fine instruments, but you'll pay more for MIA. Is it worth the price difference over MIJ or MIM? That will depend on the guitar and how it fills your needs.

As far as amps go, (again if you don't mind spending some money) look at one of the Fender re-issues (Princeton, Deluxe, Reverb, Vibrolux, etc.) If you are just going to be playing at home, the Princeton is a nice little amp. They've done a really nice job with the '68 Drip Edge re-issue. I have an original '72 with which to compare.

There are so many gear choices out there to be made. This one proffered today is what I'd do currently. I may feel differently tomorrow!

I am subscribed to this thread, so I know when folks post. If you want to run some ideas by me (and the rest of the guitar-totin' crew...ELC should be chiming in before too long, I'd think), I'd be happy to lend advice as I can.

In the interim, here's a picture of my general gig rig these last couple-three months:

pics_varied.html

Not sure if the pic is showing here via the web link widget (don't know why, either)...so I've attached it...

Attachments

• November-Gig-Rig.jpg
    November-Gig-Rig.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey, Dime thanks for responding so quickly! Search started a week or so ago - thanks to that Keith Urban TV infomercial! Quickly escalated on-line by looking at various "starter" packages for $200-300 (guitar/amp, strap, etc) but decided I want a bit more quality even if my playing is bad.... Heard Yamahas are decent "beginner" guitars (PAC012/112V) but then found out all lower priced gits are made overseas, Mexico, etc. Looked at Epiphones and Squiers - the "little brothers" of Gibson and Fender but would def prefer US made though that comes with a cost like you said. So....right now I've upped the ante and looking for something under a grand which would be the sweet spot, dollar-wise for me. Like the Gibson Les Paul Junior which I can get for under $800 (includes hard case) through amazon.. Re: amp been told a 15W would suit me fine...looked at Roland Cube, Marshall, Fender (will check out the Princeton). As long as it has a headphones jack and ability to hook up I Pod, built-in tuner, I'd be happy. Oh, also like the Fender American Special Telecaster for just under a grand.

Found a local guitar shop that sells Stagg "Les Pauls" - can pick 1 up for $179-$350, amp for $200 (Cube), case, strap, etc for around $700 total. Owner is an older guy (older than me!) who knew Les Paul and would provide lessons...but not sure how it would go if I bought from another source..eh, eh. Can't find much info on Staggs other than a Belgium company, been around 20 yrs. This guy swears by them and to my un-educated ear and 1st look, they seemed OK to me...but what do I know, right?

Should mention I've been a huge Stones' fan since I 1st saw them when I was at Wake back in 1969 (drove up to Baltimore day before Thanksgiving with 3 friends to see them and returned to campus right after the show - crazy!)! Managed to see them 4X this summer (Dallas, Nashville, Raleigh and Buffalo) and the boys still rock. So that's the type of music (plus country/blues) I'd like to try my hand on - on a very limited scale, if that helps you on what gear I should look for.

Def appreciate any guidance you or ELC can give. So much to learn and so many options....

PS Also looked at the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Studio SR for $999 - a limited run of only 850....would enhance value/re-sale?

Last edited:
Where did everyone go the past 8-9 months? Looking for some buying advice for an electric guitar and associated gear.. Never played in my life, retired and now have plenty of time and some $$$ to spend.... Been researching like crazy the past week or so, online and at shops...so damn confusing! Just looking for a new hobby around the house. Will go the "new" route since I don't know enough to look at used guitars and don't wanted to get ripped off, etc.

I wouldn't spend a ton because you may end up not liking it. Go to your local music shop or Guitar Center and see which ones you like better in your hands. I'm a Fender guy, but some people prefer Gibsons. There are plenty of pretty solid Squier models you can get for cheap brand new and they really aren't bad. Epiphones can be inexpensive too if you find that you prefer the Gibson feel and look. Just get yourself a starter solid state amp. Maybe a Line 6 or something with onboard effects you can play with. If you find that you're digging it after a year, you can upgrade to a better guitar and tube amp with some pedals.

I've been playing a fun rig lately. My Lee Ranaldo signature jazzmaster and Gibson SG w/ single coils for half step down stuff. The SG sounds so rich and versatile though that I think I'm going to tune it back up and use something else as my tuned down. Using the Mesa TA-30 as my amp and nothing exceptional for my stompboxes.

I've heard on musician forums that the quality of the Gibsons has really fallen off in recent years. I can't speak to it as I only own two. I like my aforementioned SG, but don't much care for the doublecut. Oddly enough, though, the DC may end up being my replacement half step down guitar, which would stick me with two Gibsons even though I much prefer Fenders when playing.

You may also want to look at something midrange price wise like a Schecter. They make some really nice guitars at a very reasonable price point.

Also, don't count something out because it isn't made in the USA. Yes, the best Fenders tend to be made in the USA, but the MIM (Made In Mexico) ones can be pretty good. One of my favorites is my MIJ (Made In Japan) Jaguar.

Also, don't count something out because it isn't made in the USA. Yes, the best Fenders tend to be made in the USA, but the MIM (Made In Mexico) ones can be pretty good. One of my favorites is my MIJ (Made In Japan) Jaguar.
Agreed. I have 2 MIM Fender basses (P & Jazz) that I got in college while in a band. Solid instruments.

I have an Epiphone Sheraton Pro II I bought last month from Musicians Friend. Very versatile guitar with coil tapping which let's you play with single or hum pups.

Be sure to check out some websites open box items. You can find some good deals there. But definitely go to a store and play some first.

Hey, Dime thanks for responding so quickly! Looked at Epiphones and Squiers - the "little brothers" of Gibson and Fender but would def prefer US made though that comes with a cost like you said...

You are most welcome. I have owned several Epi's (still do) and have found them an outstanding value. I have not worked with the Squires very often, but I'm sure there are decent instruments among them.

So....right now I've upped the ante and looking for something under a grand which would be the sweet spot, dollar-wise for me...

At the 800 to $200 price range a MIM Fender is a good value.

Re: amp been told a 15W would suit me fine...

The Fender Princeton is right in that range. You'll note very little volume difference between 15 and 25 watts. 30 watts is not 'twice as loud' as 15...RMS math doesn't work that way...

PS Also looked at the 2015 Gibson Les Paul Studio SR for $999 - a limited run of only 850....would enhance value/re-sale?

I have never been a much of a fan of the Studio line...I guess it's the lack of binding on the body and neck. Seems weird (to me) to play a Gibson without it. That does not preclude making it a nice guitar, though, however!

I've heard on musician forums that the quality of the Gibsons has really fallen off in recent years. I can't speak to it as I only own two. I like my aforementioned SG, but don't much care for the doublecut. Oddly enough, though, the DC may end up being my replacement half step down guitar, which would stick me with two Gibsons even though I much prefer Fenders when playing.

You may also want to look at something midrange price wise like a Schecter. They make some really nice guitars at a very reasonable price point.

I have purchased 4 Gibsons in the last 3 years (3 new, 1 vintage) and do nit find any quality issues with the ones I own. Two Les Paul Traditionals and an ES335. I do favor one LP over the other, but both get played out regularly. The 335 is sweet. I get a lot of compliments on it. The vintage axe is an ES 330 (1968)...which is bit long in the tooth in places finish-wise, but it plays like butter...and sounds like it, too! It's been my go-to since acquiring it a few months ago.

November-Gig-Rig.jpg

(I have refined my picture posting skills this morning) :) (Think I may post a few more today as I can...

Back