• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

guitarists and gear

Well, if nothing else, I got this thread going again! Have learned quite a bit too ....very impressed with some of the equipment you all have accumulated....

RE: Guitar Center...They are the only place I can find in the San Antonio area that has a decent selection, price and the ability to try things out easily. Went to a small local shop and all they sold were Stagg LPs, etc... If I want a Fender, Gibson, etc they are the "go to" place.

On-line, Sweetwater Music and Wildwood Guitars have excellent reps for customer service and guitar prep.

Well, if nothing else, I got this thread going again! Have learned quite a bit too ....very impressed with some of the equipment you all have accumulated....

RE: Guitar Center...They are the only place I can find in the San Antonio area that has a decent selection, price and the ability to try things out easily. Went to a small local shop and all they sold were Stagg LPs, etc... If I want a Fender, Gibson, etc they are the "go to" place.

On-line, Sweetwater Music and Wildwood Guitars have excellent reps for customer service and guitar prep.

I generally like to play an instrument before purchasing, but I have had great success with Sweetwater. 3 of the last 4 purchased have come form there. I have had the same sales tech for 16 years. Our relationship has been bolstered by the fact that I've acquired so much recording studio equipment form him/them, but I still think, that if you get a guitar in and it doesn't suit you, you can send it back, and on their dime.

If you'd like the name and contact info for my man there, be glad to pass it along. He's a fine fellow and exceedingly knowledgeable.

linky no worky

Don't understand...2 friends said they couldn't open either yet I sent it to my 2nd e-mail address and it opens up just fine...I give up....:eek: Weird, I click on the link in your post and it opens great on my screen.

Choices were 2014 Gibson SPJ for $499 and SPM ($734)...US-made, brand new, w/gig bag. 1st one seems like a great deal for someone like me.

Last edited:
I generally like to play an instrument before purchasing, but I have had great success with Sweetwater. 3 of the last 4 purchased have come form there. I have had the same sales tech for 16 years. Our relationship has been bolstered by the fact that I've acquired so much recording studio equipment form him/them, but I still think, that if you get a guitar in and it doesn't suit you, you can send it back, and on their dime.

If you'd like the name and contact info for my man there, be glad to pass it along. He's a fine fellow and exceedingly knowledgeable.

Thanks, Dime...will keep that in mind if I find something from them. Impressed with their service/prep... Would have no problems buying sight-unseen from either them or Wildwood.

I buy most of mine on Reverb.com or the Reverb app actually on my iPad. It is sort of like Ebay but just for music gear. So there are dealers and also individuals selling on there. I see things I like, just make bids at prices that heck I will surely buy it if I can get it for that, and grab gear that way. I buy mostly used guitars and amps. Just a better deal. And used is often better and more broken in than new gear anyway. Here's a buying hint: make offers on guitars and amps during tax season. Musicians are notorious for having to pay taxes on April 15 and for being short on cash. It's incredible the deals I get in April every year.

Picked up this Tele yesterday for my bday. Kinman pickups - haven't been able to play it yet. It's actually another Mark Jenny Tele build. I love Teles, especially double bound ones.

zgycryf6fttrqyge0yy9.jpg

Dont know too much about guitars, but this is my future FIL's collection. He builds and restores, and keeps 10 or 12 on hand at a given time of his favorites.

73ebraD.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/mu-spot/moore-poison

Here's some music from my band. Recorded here at the studio. Studio pics to be shared this week...

Nice!!! Mercury, is the bass and guitar work on a loop or are they working live there? I imagine that's a stupid question. Who did the production work - you? Somebody knows what they are doing. That's really pro work there.

Nice!!! Mercury, is the bass and guitar work on a loop or are they working live there? I imagine that's a stupid question. Who did the production work - you? Somebody knows what they are doing. That's really pro work there.

Thanks! All that was played live initially. The B3 was re-done once I got one as a permanent resident in the studio here. The guitar parts were replaced, though not much different than the original stuff. I wanted less 'bleed' at mixdown, though the first lead break is just what was cut during the initial session. We re-did the bass later for an enhanced tonal apsect (a bit more drive), but it's still the same part.

All that is played...no loops.

All that stuff engineered, tracked, mixed and mastered by yours truly.

Thanks! All that was played live initially. The B3 was re-done once I got one as a permanent resident in the studio here. The guitar parts were replaced, though not much different than the original stuff. I wanted less 'bleed' at mixdown, though the first lead break is just what was cut during the initial session. We re-did the bass later for an enhanced tonal apsect (a bit more drive), but it's still the same part.

All that is played...no loops.

All that stuff engineered, tracked, mixed and mastered by yours truly.

Question that may not be answerable here, but how do you account for evening out the sound across different tracks so that they are all the same volume? Most of what I've read says it is all done by ear, which of course isn't the answer I want to hear. I'd like to think there's a good way to cheat that doesn't involve compressing tracks to death, but I fear there isn't.

Question that may not be answerable here, but how do you account for evening out the sound across different tracks so that they are all the same volume? Most of what I've read says it is all done by ear, which of course isn't the answer I want to hear. I'd like to think there's a good way to cheat that doesn't involve compressing tracks to death, but I fear there isn't.

It is done 99% by ear. There's some 'meter watching' going on, but since you won't be seeing the music, best to do levels by ear.

There is compression involved. I generally track with a bit on kick, snare, bass, and vox. I have a compressor on the toms, but I use it more as a peak limiter to keep from having 'overs'. I will compress the kick, snare, bass, and vox a bit more at mix time.

So, no cheating! :)

Back