• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CA about to blow up NCAA?

Programs like Duke basketball and Alabama football have been cash cows for years, and will be for years to come regardless of who the players are. The top players will shuffle thru for a year(bb) or 3 years (fb), but even a Zion is only going to move the needle so much from the sellout crowds, t.v. contracts and t-shirt sales a Duke enjoys every year regardless. I think the players get a decent deal (free education if that's your "thing", top facilities and training, free room and board, chance to build towards a pro career and brand identity if again that's your "thing"), but the coaches, AD's and t.v. folks are grossly overcompensated for using the name brands that the schools in most cases had established well before (either academically, athletically or in some cases both) and that the players help maintain/sustain.
But the real folks getting screwed in this are the PH's of the academic world, who are the foundation behind why there's a Duke or Alabama athletic program to start with.

Anybody arguing against paying the players is putting their own enjoyment of being a fan above the best interest of the players. That’s pretty fucked up. Sorry.

There will be no college basketball system if you pay the players as free agents.

How much market value is there in the ability to play basketball at a "college level" if there is no college basketball programs? What is the market value for the equivalent of a minor league basketball player?

There is value in College basketball due to allegiance of alumni and fans.

Destroying that will disadvantage those you claim to want to help.

Anybody arguing against paying the players is putting their own enjoyment of being a fan above the best interest of the players. That’s pretty fucked up. Sorry.

This is a reductive generalization and is simply wrong. You are not a better fan or a better person just because you want to pay the players additional compensation. Stop patting yourself on the back

Aren’t you a boxing fan? Every one of those guys is suffering brain damage as boxers. Everyone supporting that sport is putting their own enjoyment of a sport above the well being of other human beings. That’s fucked up. Not sorry.

How do you feel about football?

There will be no college basketball system if you pay the players as free agents.

How much market value is there in the ability to play basketball at a "college level" if there is no college basketball programs? What is the market value for the equivalent of a minor league basketball player?

There is value in College basketball due to allegiance of alumni and fans.

Destroying that will disadvantage those you claim to want to help.

Why should Athletics be associated with Universities. The model doesn't make any sense. Blow it up.

Why should Athletics be associated with Universities. The model doesn't make any sense. Blow it up.

Because it encourages kids to keep a focus on academics. It provides kids a chance to get into a university at which they otherwise would not be academically accepted. It encourages kids to get a college education. It is really a fantastic model for thousands of student athletes annually, which is why other countries are looking to implement it.

Most other countries use the academy or early professional model, which is much more flawed, in my opinion. It forces kids to focus only on one sport, and the exposure to academics is minimal to none. The kids that don't make it professionally (which is most of them) have nothing to show for their years in the academy.

Your question shows why you do not get the other side of the argument. I'm not arguing for a college sports model because I like watching college sports, and I can tell neither are others. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching and following college sports, but if they disappeared I would just move on to something else. I'm arguing for it because it is, in my opinion, a really great combination with a ton of positive aspects for the student athletes (as many on here have already argued, several from personal experience).

The college sports system does seem flawed, but then why do athletes from other countries flock to the US to play NCAA sports (basketball, tennis, soccer, golf, swimming, field hockey, essentially every D1 sport) if the NCAA athletics model is so flawed and exploitative? Even when there are professional options in their countries.

How do you feel about football?

like this

I’d argue that college football players and high school football players and maybe NFL players are being exploited because they don’t fully understand the impact that repeated blows to the head will have on the future health of a not insignificant percentage of them

But that’s sort of a different argument than the one asking for student athletes to be given a percentage of the revenue they create.

The college sports system does seem flawed, but then why do athletes from other countries flock to the US to play NCAA sports (basketball, tennis, soccer, golf, swimming, field hockey, essentially every D1 sport) if the NCAA athletics model is so flawed and exploitative? Even when there are professional options in their countries.

And, conversely, US high school athletes rarely leave the US to join academies or professional leagues in other countries.

That would hurt a lot of kids. The very elite will do just fine either way. The other 98% currently get a chance to greatly improve their prospects in life.

It all depends on the mission of the university and their dedication to that mission. It's pretty twisted that a university will help out the disadvantaged only if they are big/strong/fast/coordinated.

It all depends on the mission of the university and their dedication to that mission. It's pretty twisted that a university will help out the disadvantaged only if they are big/strong/fast/coordinated.

That's not the case. There are scholarships across the country for music, theater, art, high academic performance, etc. In my opinion, each student at a top university can bring something unique to the school. For some it is musical talent, for others it is talent in a sport, and for others it is computer programming. That's what makes for an interesting and vibrant university community.

Rather than "only if", it's more accurate to challenge WF for disproportionately providing aid to the disadvantaged who are expected to contribute to the various WF athletic programs as there are other avenues for financial assistance for financially disadvantaged candidates. While understanding that to be a legitimate question of university priorities, this should not be news to anyone that has attended WF or pretty much every other D-1 school, particularly small private D-1 schools.

That's not the case. There are scholarships across the country for music, theater, art, high academic performance, etc. In my opinion, each student at a top university can bring something unique to the school. For some it is musical talent, for others it is talent in a sport, and for others it is computer programming. That's what makes for an interesting and vibrant university community.

Who was the last musician who lost his scholarship for playing a paid gig?

Back