• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CA about to blow up NCAA?

The thing most people seem to forget, or disregard, is that these proposed policies only consider *scholarship* athletes in basketball and football. Overall, they constitute a tiny parentage of the NCAA student-athlete population.

If you pay only this top tier of athlete, or blow up the system entirely, Brasky-style, you're actually hurting the vast majority of student-athletes, many of whom benefit enormously from the opportunity to use their athletic talents to get admitted to better schools, to develop as students and athletes in elite academic and athletic environments (relative to the rest of the world), and to keep open the possibility that they might make it as professionals. When it comes down to it, you'd be privileging only the very people that already have the best shot at becoming multimillionaires.

Simple solution, already mentioned by several posters: let athletes go pro whenever they like. And acknowledge that the ones who aren't yet good enough to do so out of high school use the NCAA to develop and advertise their talents (and ostensibly have the opportunity to learn something and earn a valuable degree along the way).

There would be a very small number of schools in a pay-for-play system. The majority of schools would opt out and play in a completely separate division.

You would have maybe 12-16 schools like Alabama, Louisville, and the like.

Maybe that would be for the best. Just let those sham schools play against each other while the rest keep the academic model.

Would certainly help Wake Forest once they get rid of Manning.

You do realize that the Wake’s of the world make a large chunk of their money because of their connection/competition with the “sham” schools, right? Wake wouldn’t generate enough revenue to fund scholarships if it played in an inferior league.

You do realize that the Wake’s of the world make a large chunk of their money because of their connection/competition with the “sham” schools, right? Wake wouldn’t generate enough revenue to fund scholarships if it played in an inferior league.
Many of wake's scholarships are endowed -- not funded by revenue. Drop out of the ACC or Division I or whatever and we'd run our athletic department like the rest of the NCAA does. We wouldn't be competitive with the "sham" schools, sure. But with some notable exceptions, we already aren't.

Many of wake's scholarships are endowed -- not funded by revenue. Drop out of the ACC or Division I or whatever and we'd run our athletic department like the rest of the NCAA does. We wouldn't be competitive with the "sham" schools, sure. But with some notable exceptions, we already aren't.

How many people are going to continue to donate to a Division III athletic program?

That’s ridiculous. It would take under $1.5M a year to pay every scholarship athlete in a revenue sport the equivalent of a grad student stipend. That revenue can easily come from TV contracts, shoe deals, and trimming coaches salaries. The money is there.

You’re completely misunderstanding the concept of pay to play in this context.

We would eventually have to pay all the women's sports too. I'm sure the female legistrators that voted for this have this in mind.

You’re completely misunderstanding the concept of pay to play in this context.

No. I understand that universities already have a system in place for paying students who work as a condition of their enrollment.

No. I understand that universities already have a system in place for paying students who work as a condition of their enrollment.

It’s ok to admit you misunderstood a common phrase.

How many people are going to continue to donate to a Division III athletic program?
Good question. I guess we'd see who really cares about wake.

Based on how many people still post on what is essentially a basketball and non-topic forum, maybe a lot?

That’s not the only way to pay student athletes.

I don’t find it ridiculous. It’s just not the only way to pay student athletes.

Everybody else associated with college athletics gets paid the market rate. Everybody except the athletes. Athletes deserve a portion of the revenues that they generate according to free market rates.

What do you do with the vast majority of college athletes who play for money-losing teams/sports, and who already receive compensation that is significantly above the "market" rate?

Last edited:
What do you do with the vast majority of college athletes who play for money-losing teams/sports, and who already receive compensation that is significantly above the "market" rate?

Something has to be done with them? If schools continue with generous full scholarships, fine. If they give partial scholarships due to market rate, fine. Depends on the school mission and finances. Plenty of lower division schools field non-revenue teams.

Back