• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where are the political anthems of today?

Gen X is responsible for almost all good rap music and figuring out how to make money and careers out of it.

Don't become a Whatabouter! That's a deep hole to get out of...

BTW, the Drive By Truckers What It Means has about 110,000 plays on YouTube in around three years. It's hardly an anthem. It's a good song but never caught on.

That’s because the boomers fucking ruined the music industry.

Btw, how many top forty hits did Woody Guthrie have anyway?

No love for The Presidents Of The United States of America ?

That’s because the boomers fucking ruined the music industry.

Btw, how many top forty hits did Woody Guthrie have anyway?

Wrong again..it was GenX and millennials who killed the music biz.

I'm guessing the Top 40 didn't exist then, but thanks for playing...

There has been lots of shit going on in recent years. It's easy record a song today. It's easy to put it up for people to hear. And in many states, you can walk into a store and buy some pot. Yet there are no songs that everyone is singing. Old people, young people, white people, people of color would all sing the protest songs of the day.

Next thing you guys will be calling Call Me Maybe a protest song.

It's not get off our lawn. It's get off your ass and do something. Get yourself remembered. Help some people.
"This is America" has been played more than 500 million+ times on YouTube alone (not counting radio, Spotify, tv, etc). It's one of the most broadly played / listened to / sung along to songs in the entire world.

I have no idea what in the hell you and WnB are rambling about other than showing the fact you are apparently totally out of touch with modern music.

Wrong again..it was GenX and millennials who killed the music biz.

I'm guessing the Top 40 didn't exist then, but thanks for playing...

How exactly did GenX and millennials create the corporate structure that exploited performers and killed artistry and expression in popular music? The mere fact that you can call it a “biz” is what’s wrong with popular music. Corporations don’t want protest anthems that express dissatisfaction they want mindless garbage that people will buy on impulse with out thinking. Look what happened to the Dixie Chicks after they expressed some political opinions 15 years ago: “...garnered a positive reaction from the British audience contrasting with the negative reaction, and ensuing boycotts, in the United States, where talk shows denounced the band, their albums were discarded in public protest and corporate broadcasting networks blacklisted them for the remainder of the Bush years. After a touring hiatus, they toured again in 2010, 2013 and 2016.” -from Wikipedia

I think Internet has had the biggest impact on the business of music, more than any generational variance.

Just like it’s probably largely responsible for many other changes in how we live.

Not really sure what effect it might mainly have on the development and dissemination of protest music. I’d think it’d be easier to produce today but not necessarily easier to have your music widely adopted. With endless options for music listening it may be more difficult today to get everyone listening to your stuff...? OTOH, if your music catches on, it’s pretty easy for everyone to access it.

?

Anyhow, of the videos displayed above, I found The Killers piece the most listenable and the video pretty well done. Having never heard of them before, I enjoyed reading about them some and watching a number of their videos.

Yep, I’m an old white guy.

i wonder if rj thinks anything is the fault of the boomers

How exactly did GenX and millennials create the corporate structure that exploited performers and killed artistry and expression in popular music? The mere fact that you can call it a “biz” is what’s wrong with popular music. Corporations don’t want protest anthems that express dissatisfaction they want mindless garbage that people will buy on impulse with out thinking. Look what happened to the Dixie Chicks after they expressed some political opinions 15 years ago: “...garnered a positive reaction from the British audience contrasting with the negative reaction, and ensuing boycotts, in the United States, where talk shows denounced the band, their albums were discarded in public protest and corporate broadcasting networks blacklisted them for the remainder of the Bush years. After a touring hiatus, they toured again in 2010, 2013 and 2016.” -from Wikipedia

The internet killed the music industry. I'm not defending the whores who used to run it, but at least artist could make money without 24/7/365 touring. The internet has killed songwriting and royalties to the bands and writers from sales.

By the way, the album after the boruhaha of the Dixie Chicks debuted at #1. "Taking the Long Way debuted at number one on both the U.S. pop albums chart and the U.S. country albums chart, selling 526,000 copies in the first week (the year's second-best such total for any country act) and making it a gold record within its first week, despite having little or no airplay in areas that had once embraced them. The Chicks became the first female band in chart history to have three albums debut at No. 1."

I could care less if we are responsible or not for the "death" of the music industry, because having access to Spotify and similar streaming services is 1000000x better than what is used to be like.

I could care less if we are responsible or not for the "death" of the music industry, because having access to Spotify and similar streaming services is 1000000x better than what is used to be like.

It's much worse for the bands and songwriters. That's why music isn't as good as it used to be. It should be much better with all they have to build on and how cheap production has become, but the internet has driven songwriters to look for other jobs.

The bands who make lots of money from touring could still write big songs. There are big issues.

Music is likely just as good now as it ever has been, it’s your opinion that it’s not. Genres change, audiences change, but music is art and not everyone likes the same stuff.

As for political anthems, Party in the USA is a banger and that was written and sang by a millennial.

This is a political anthem????

"Lyrics
I hopped off the plane at LAX
With a dream and my cardigan
Welcome to the land of fame excess,
Whoa, am I gonna fit in?
Jumped in the cab,
Here I am for the first time
Look to my right and I see the Hollywood sign
This is all so crazy
Everybody seems so famous
My tummy's turnin' and I'm feelin' kinda home sick
Too much pressure and I'm nervous,
That's when the taxi man turned on the radio
And the Jay Z song was on
So I put my hands up
They're playing my song,
And the butterflies fly away
Noddin' my head like, yeah
Movin' my hips like, yeah
I got my hands up,
They're playin' my song
You know I'm gonna be okay
Yeah, it's a party in the USA
Yeah it's a party in the USA
Get to the club in a taxi cab
Everybody's looking at me now
Like "who's that chick, that's rockin' kicks?
She's gotta be from out of town"
So hard with my girls not around me
Its definitely not a Nashville party
Cause' all I see are stilettos
I guess I never got the memo
My tummy's turnin' and I'm feelin' kinda home sick
Too much pressure and I'm nervous
That's when the D.J. dropped my favorite tune
And a Britney song was on
So I put my hands up
They're playing my song,
I got my hands up,
They're playin' my song
Feel like hoppin' on a flight (On a flight)
Back to my hometown tonight (Town tonight)
But something stops me every time (Every time)
The DJ plays my song and I feel alright
So I put my hands up
They're playing my song,
I got my hands up,
They're playin' my song
So I put my hands up
They're playing my song,
I got my hands up,
They're playin' my song
Yeah it's a party in the USA"

:bowrofl::bowrofl:

Good lord, RJ, is it really that easy to bait you?

Back