• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where are the political anthems of today?

I know all of the words to that song, to my great shame. My girls went through a very long party in the USA phase a year or so ago.

Good lord, RJ, is it really that easy to bait you?

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

W&B, I thought of you and your love of music today. I had breakfast with a gorgeous lady friend in my favorite little seaside town- Seal Beach. As we walked onto the pier hand in hand, a MILLENNIAL street musician was setting up. He set-up his guitar chase to get donations. He propped up little poster which I thought was going to tell about gigs or Cds or something like that.

What is SAD and HILARIOUS is that it was actually one of those goofy looking pictures that used for tickets so that you could give him money from your cell phone. Just another sucker MILLENNIAL that didn't learn from his parents not to accept mediocity.

The music industry was killed in the late 90s by Napster and buried by streaming in the 00s. Neither of those events had anything to do with boomers. NAPSTAR was created by MILLENNIALS Sean Parker and Shawn Manning and because of NAPSTAR and later streaming services, you pay $200 or more concerts versus seeing Stevie Wonder open for the Stones for $8. What a great time to love "music".

Until Napstar, artists made good livings from writings song and sellings records. Only a few can do that today.

The bands who make lots of money from touring could still write big songs. There are big issues.

The bands / performers who make lots of money from touring are writing big songs. You just aren't listening to those bands / performers, or seemingly even know who they are. They've been linked to you over and over and you seemingly seem incapable of recognizing that simple fact.

#notmybands/performers

The bands / performers who make lots of money from touring are writing big songs. You just aren't listening to those bands / performers, or seemingly even know who they are. They've been linked to you over and over and you seemingly seem incapable of recognizing that simple fact.

They aren't making the money from sales that they should be. Take a look here:

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-official-top-40-biggest-albums-of-2018__22461/

George Ezra was #2 with 691,000 sales. Ed Sheeran was #3 with 510,000.

Now compare that with 1990.

https://www.decluttr.com/blog/2017/05/22/what-is-the-best-selling-album-of-the-90s-in-the-us/

In 1990, Metallica's record sold 11.3M.

Here's a long-term list:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bes...#1996-alanis-morissette-jagged-little-pill-22

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/abyss89/the_100_biggest_selling_albums_of_the_80s__usa_/

In the 80s, there were 100 Albums that sold over 4 million. There were twenty that sold over 10M. VERSUS only a soundtrack album that had over 1M in sales last year.

Now multiple that time 8-11 songs on each album to see how much songwriters have lost in the most basic of royalties.

It's not that I'm "just aren't listening to those bands / performers, or seemingly even know who they are", it's that I know the business than you and the numbers prove my point.

Of course no amount of real sources or real numbers will get you to say, "RJ is right". I completely understand the position that "RJ knows nothing about anything and he's old. He must be wrong."

Now you can just listen to whatever song you want to listen to whenever and wherever. You don’t have to buy the album or hope it comes on the radio when you’re listening.

You want protest songs? Just reinstate the draft.

Hey guys I bet the new Lion King is gonna sell less VHS tapes than the 1994 version, it must be an awful failure

Now you can just listen to whatever song you want to listen to whenever and wherever. You don’t have to buy the album or hope it comes on the radio when you’re listening.

So you shouldn't have to pay for it...

Maybe songwriters should come to your office and take your paycheck.

If you are willing to steal from songwriters and performers, you should be willing let them do that to you.

If you are willing to steal from songwriters and performers, you should be willing let them do that to you.

How is listening to an artist's music on Spotify or Amazon Music or Apple Music stealing from performers?

How is listening to an artist's music on Spotify or Amazon Music or Apple Music stealing from performers?

Exactly. If I want to listen to a song off each of the top 50 selling albums of all time, I can do it whenever and wherever I want without buying an album.

so only executives and other administrative hangers on should only be able to “steal from songwriters and performers?”

FWIW, those platforms have negotiated streaming deals with labels and independent performers. Music executives seem to be doing all right. Perhaps they negotiated content deals that were exploitative to artists by maintaining their cut but cutting musicians’ cuts?

Back