• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where are the political anthems of today?

If you are paying a third party for access to the music rather the artist and sales are dramatically down while you have the music you are stealing.

We have vastly different and probably irreconcilable differences on what the definition of “stealing” is, but fair enough if that’s your position

We have vastly different and probably irreconcilable differences on what the definition of “stealing” is, but fair enough if that’s your position

What would call getting on a train and paying the conductor $1 to let you on when the ticket cost $50? This is what streaming companies do to artists.

Do you also understand that due to the tanking of sales you don't get to hear from new artists and that concerts are dramatically more expensive than they should be?

What would call getting on a train and paying the conductor $1 to let you on when the ticket cost $50? This is what streaming companies do to artists.

Do you also understand that due to the tanking of sales you don't get to hear from new artists and that concerts are dramatically more expensive than they should be?

right, but it's a legal alternative to listen to music. Napster brought about a wave of piracy that the recording industry fought back against which led to things like iTunes and now streaming is way more popular than downloading.

and I'm not the best to ask on finding new music, but there are plenty of smaller venues around here that have shows from touring national and regional artists most nights with good-sized crowds, so it's somehow working.

Also, regarding new artists and speaking only for myself, my most frequently listened to Spotify playlist is the curated Discover Weekly playlist that Spotify puts together based on my music tastes. The playlist is designed to showcase new and upcoming artists. I have found some great music on there that I wouldn’t have otherwise if the only way I could find new music was buying random albums for $14.99 or going to a local place that might have a band I like.

It's not working for the non-superstar artists or songwriters. If songwriters can't make a living writing songs, they will have to make a living doing something else. There has been a tremendous talent drain due to the new paradigm. The next Smokey Robinson or Carole King or Kurt Cobain may end up doing SEO or running a restaurant rather than creating legendary music. Mediocrity is the price that will be paid due to the inability and unwillingness to support talent.

This should be an absolute golden era of music. The market is much bigger and easier to access. Recording is much cheaper. The base of genres and acceptance is greater than ever. The problem is the incentives to just make a long-term living have been reduced to historically low levels.

Also, regarding new artists and speaking only for myself, my most frequently listened to Spotify playlist is the curated Discover Weekly playlist that Spotify puts together based on my music tastes. The playlist is designed to showcase new and upcoming artists. I have found some great music on there that I wouldn’t have otherwise if the only way I could find new music was buying random albums for $14.99 or going to a local place that might have a band I like.

And presumably, if you heard something you liked from a new and upcoming band, you might buy their album or check them out in concert.

What “should” a concert cost?

What “should” an album cost?

What “should” a month of Spotify Premium cost?

Please indicate if your answers are based on facts or just your opinions.

It's not working for the non-superstar artists or songwriters. If songwriters can't make a living writing songs, they will have to make a living doing something else. There has been a tremendous talent drain due to the new paradigm. The next Smokey Robinson or Carole King or Kurt Cobain may end up doing SEO or running a restaurant rather than creating legendary music. Mediocrity is the price that will be paid due to the inability and unwillingness to support talent.

This should be an absolute golden era of music. The market is much bigger and easier to access. Recording is much cheaper. The base of genres and acceptance is greater than ever. The problem is the incentives to just make a long-term living have been reduced to historically low levels.

and boomers who run the industry are making sure this happens

The internet should have been the greatest boon to new artists of all time. The barriers to starting a station were broken down. The concept of the "college indie station" could be replicated all over the world for new artists. It would have been incredibly easy to do without taking the income away from the entire recording eco-system.

Add to the above, the new artist would be accessible nationwide and worldwide versus the local nature of most new artists in the past. The internet should have made breaking new artists much easier, cheaper and more profitable for everyone.

What “should” a concert cost?

What “should” an album cost?

What “should” a month of Spotify Premium cost?

Please indicate if your answers are based on facts or just your opinions.

Gotcha questions don't help or surprise anyone.

It is indisputable that due to lack of revenues from sales of singles and albums that artists have to make most of their money by touring. Thus, ticket prices have to be dramatically more expensive.

Because of the internet, many people thought purchasing of music would go back to the 50s/early 60s model of singles being more viable.

I disagree with this. Streaming services provide a platform for smaller up and coming and regional artist to get their music to a larger audience than ever before. Artist now are becoming able to generate a touring fan base without being reliant on getting a record deal, or relying on the radio.

Your just old dude.

Ticket prices are dramatically more expensive because the Boomers at Live Nation and Ticketmaster are stealing everyone's money

Last edited:
I disagree with this. Streaming services provide a platform for smaller up and coming and regional artist to get their music to a larger audience than ever before. Artist now are becoming able to generate a touring fan base without being reliant on getting a record deal, or relying on the radio.

Your just old dude.

Maybe you should READ what I post rather than being lazy and stupid. Since, you want to make it about my age. I am allowed to call you out.

If you READ what I posted, you'd see that I showed how the internet should have been used to break artists on their own and without a record company. But it's much easier to be lazy and shallow than to actually pay attention.

Let me repeat myself and dumb it down.

Because of the internet there are (and should have been more) outlets like stations and websites that play new artists.

It's cheaper for new artists to produce high quality product on their own without record companies.

If you do that, you are in a better position to negotiate if you want a traditional deal.

By the way, local and regional groups have been touring for over fifty years and making a living.

Last edited:
Maybe you should READ what I post rather than being lazy and stupid. Since, you want to make it about my age. I am allowed to call you out.

If you READ what I posted, you'd see that I showed how the internet should have been used to break artists on their own and without a record company. But it's much easier to be lazy and shallow than to actually pay attention.

Yeah man, you are saying the internet "should" have been used in that way. When in reality that is exactly how it is working, right now.

I mean I'm just saying that you're complaining about how artists get paid, but the consumers don't write the checks to the artists. Recording industry execs, largely boomers these days, are the ones who determine all this.

I mean I'm just saying that you're complaining about how artists get paid, but the consumers don't write the checks to the artists. Recording industry execs, largely boomers these days, are the ones who determine all this.

Actually, most of the top guys at record companies are not boomers any more. We're mostly gone as it should be. You've gotta get new blood and keep up.

I understand you see my name and you see me and make decisions on what I'm saying because of who you want me to be to be your foil, your simplistic boogeyman. You don't pay attention to the core issue or my core statements. The changes that have happened are hamstringing your experience and market. At the center of everything, I have said (and I've said it directly) is that this should be a golden age of music. You should have so much more that you do have. There are so many advantages that we didn't have.

I want your generation to have new and great things, but as long as you make it so difficult for anyone to make that music to make a living, it won't happen.

No matter how many times I tell you that I want you to use the past to build on not to go back to, you guys refuse to listen. I am eminently aware of how easy a target I am, but open your eyes and read than react in a Pavlovian manner.

Back