• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where are the political anthems of today?

In the distance a bell tolls. Must resist.

I understand you see my name and you see me and make decisions on what I'm saying because of who you want me to be to be your foil, your simplistic boogeyman.

everybody else is the asshole

I will say I purchased a lot of albums and CDs over the years.

I ripped all my CDs into the cloud (Apple Musicmatch or something) and it's great to have them there so I can access anywhere/anytime.

But largely unnecessary because I can listen to any of it for a monthly subscription to a music service whether I ever purchased the album/CD or not.

As a consumer, the new formats are great in terms of convenience and accessibility. And my tastes can change/evolve and I don' have to purchase a bunch of new stuff. So it's great for me as a consumer. But maybe not for artists of today...

OTOH, there's a lot of stuff I'm still discovering so it's hard to know what I'm missing by the possible lack of newer talent development.

I will say I purchased a lot of albums and CDs over the years.

I ripped all my CDs into the cloud (Apple Musicmatch or something) and it's great to have them there so I can access anywhere/anytime.

But largely unnecessary because I can listen to any of it for a monthly subscription to a music service whether I ever purchased the album/CD or not.

As a consumer, the new formats are great in terms of convenience and accessibility. And my tastes can change/evolve and I don' have to purchase a bunch of new stuff. So it's great for me as a consumer. But maybe not for artists of today...

OTOH, there's a lot of stuff I'm still discovering so it's hard to know what I'm missing by the possible lack of newer talent development.

same. I went to my parents' house a few years ago to clean out any remaining items I wanted, and among the very few things I took were my giant CD cases that used to take up the whole backseat of my car in college. I haven't listened to a single one since I brought them back. It's just way too easy to cull up any album or song you want from an app on your phone, then switch to the next.

It's not working for the non-superstar artists or songwriters. If songwriters can't make a living writing songs, they will have to make a living doing something else. There has been a tremendous talent drain due to the new paradigm. The next Smokey Robinson or Carole King or Kurt Cobain may end up doing SEO or running a restaurant rather than creating legendary music. Mediocrity is the price that will be paid due to the inability and unwillingness to support talent.

This should be an absolute golden era of music. The market is much bigger and easier to access. Recording is much cheaper. The base of genres and acceptance is greater than ever. The problem is the incentives to just make a long-term living have been reduced to historically low levels.

yea dude kurt cobain fuckin loved the music industry

el-problema-es-el-capitalismo-yo-una-conversaci%C3%B3n-casual-58238720.png

I just listened to “Have a Cigar” so I feel equally as qualified to chime in on this thread

Well, they're not all sufferin':

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cherie...-pop-musician-earnings-by-genre/#a786ab34fadf

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Musician_or_Singer/Hourly_Rate

https://www.billboard.com/photos/8465835/highest-paid-musicians-money-makers

https://bizfluent.com/info-7874413-average-salary-rock-groups.html
[TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read)
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, musicians and singers – a category that includes rock groups – made a median wage of $26.96 hourly in 2017.]

yea dude kurt cobain fuckin loved the music industry

You can't get anything if you seem my name. The CONTEXT was great songwriting is less likely if you can't make a living doing it.

Get a grip...

I understand you see my name and you see me and make decisions on what I'm saying because of who you want me to be to be your foil, your simplistic boogeyman. You don't pay attention to the core issue or my core statements. The changes that have happened are hamstringing your experience and market. At the center of everything, I have said (and I've said it directly) is that this should be a golden age of music. You should have so much more that you do have. There are so many advantages that we didn't have.

I want your generation to have new and great things, but as long as you make it so difficult for anyone to make that music to make a living, it won't happen.

I literally have access to millions of songs in my pocket that I can take anywhere I want. And I get a curated list of 30 new songs and artists waiting for me every Friday morning. What more could I want?

Hell you could probably go on YouTube and find a dozen “protest” songs written about Trump from this weekend.

I literally have access to millions of songs in my pocket that I can take anywhere I want. And I get a curated list of 30 new songs and artists waiting for me every Friday morning. What more could I want?

Apparently you could want to pay $15 for an album of 17 songs and ditch Spotify

17 is more than you’d get on most CDs, definitely more than a vinyl LP would typically hold.

No doubt that today is better for consumers in terms of access/cost/convenience.

I recently pulled out my old collection of LPs and deliberated whether to buy a turntable just to see what they sounded like. I concluded that even if the sound was better, the ease of access to the same music online would likely leave the turntable and LPs being so rarely used as to make it not worth purchasing.

You can't get anything if you seem my name. The CONTEXT was great songwriting is less likely if you can't make a living doing it.

Get a grip...

you just picked a hilarious example, that's all, calm down

Amazing political anthems are everywhere, rj, you just have to look for them:

grab a Corona with mis amigas? what kind of unamerican bullshit is this?

Apparently you could want to pay $15 for an album of 17 songs and ditch Spotify

Or you could buy singles at an historically cheap price. In the 60s/70s, depending on where you went you'd pay 49-99 cents for a single. The $0.99 single of today is the equivalent of a quarter or less in those days in raw money and even less in the buying power.

My bad, as long as you get what you want, you don't care if you destroy the fair earnings potential of many people. As long as you get what you think you want, you don't care that you aren't getting the best of what you should have gotten.

Or you could buy singles at an historically cheap price. In the 60s/70s, depending on where you went you'd pay 49-99 cents for a single. The $0.99 single of today is the equivalent of a quarter or less in those days in raw money and even less in the buying power.

My bad, as long as you get what you want, you don't care if you destroy the fair earnings potential of many people. As long as you get what you think you want, you don't care that you aren't getting the best of what you should have gotten.

This is just the complete wrong way to look at things. I don’t control the market, you don’t control the market, the market evolves as the industry evolves, usually through technology. What is the fair earnings potential of a music artist? Who gets to say? Basing it off of 1960s music industry standards just flatly fails to realize that the industry is not the same. I don’t owe anything to an artist just as they don’t owe anything to me.

We all get that you don’t like streaming music, that it goes against some principles you have about what an artist “deserves”. But that’s an RJ feeling. That’s not a fact, that’s not a rule of the industry, that’s how you feel it SHOULD operate. Spoiler alert: that isn’t how it operates.

As for the bold part, just stop. You’ve made it abundantly clear you think millennials are spoiled, instant gratification seeking imbeciles that cry when they don’t get what they want. But last time I checked, no one was crying for Spotify or Apple Music. They occurred naturally. And I’ll be damned if I’m going to turn my nose up at streaming music because you think it’s somehow morally wrong.

Back