• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where are the political anthems of today?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Where are the voices like Woody Guthrie? Bob Marley? Dylan? CSNY? Country Joe? The Who? Edwin Starr? John Lennon? James Brown? Even the Boss and U2, but nothing much to speak of today in a horrible political scene that's oppressing so many.

kids today seem to prefer bragging, whining, or testimonials of overcoming perceived slights in their lyrics

Did not expect a get off my lawn post from W&B, but here we are.

It's not get off the lawn. It's get off your asses and do something.

My bad, challenging them to do something is bad and we shouldn't expect creativity and action...

It's not get off the lawn. It's get off your asses and do something.

My bad, challenging them to do something is bad and we shouldn't expect creativity and action...

You keep saying this, yet you shit on any millennial politician that challenges the status quo.

My favorite protest song is the one about incremental change, reaching out to conservatives and compromise. Gets me amped up every time.

The music industry has changed quite a bit on the corporate end, and that's not on millenials. Also, even if there are fewer music options, IMO there are far more movie and (especially) TV shows/programs that are protesting the current situation.

If a famous person doesn’t like politics, they don’t have to write a song or put out an album like that Reagan anti-Medicare speech. They can just tweet or get on TV or do a podcast.

You can record a song and if it's good enough it can go viral. Or big stars can write songs.

Yeah it’s a sad state of affairs when the current political climate has produced barely any protest music. Feels like the 90s had more angst than today.

Yeah it’s a sad state of affairs when the current political climate has produced barely any protest music. Feels like the 90s had more angst than today.

I suppose if you listen to some genres of music you might reach this conclusion.

There has been plenty of protest music, it just doesn't become pop anymore for a variety of reasons.

Back