• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

He’s 42, has been a head coach for 10 years and is still workout an offense. Sounds cool.

We will know if he was a good hire or not based on results. Obviously we would have been in a much better position hiring him a decade ago. He has had a very good decade. We have had a horrific one.

We could already have him with a decade as our Coach. But, whatever, point is hires aren't judged the day they are made. They are handicapped the day they are made but not judged. Time reveals who handicapped right and who handicapped wrong.
He would have likely been fired by now because he wasn't ready.

The people pining for shaka over romanticize the guy after he chose Texas over us. Kinda reminds me of an episode of how I met your mother where Robin gets ditched by her cool lead singer in a band hs boyfriend (James vanderbeek) but then runs into him years later and he's a fatty working at a water park but the fact that he rejected keeps her obsessed with him. I just really don't understand the obsession with a guy who has been a failure at Texas compared to his predecessor.

What would you people think about Bernie Sanders as our next coach ?

It's funny to use Texas as the measuring stick. The fans wanted Barnes out when he had made the NCAA's 16 of 17 years. Sure they were not as dominant at the end but I think his time at TN shows their fan base should not be a reference point on coaching success.

Yes Shaka has not lit it up at Texas, but his results have not been horrendous, but given their delusional fan base they will push a coach out faster than most schools. Shaka is 42, I doubt he's fully matured as a coach and seems smart enough to learn from his recent experiences, but learning at Texas is probably not the best situation.

The irony is that before Texas, we would have to fight every school with an opening for him, but now it's a possibility.

That being said if we came up with a proven mid-major, Forbes or the like we be doing alright as well, but those guys can hold out for a good opening (i.e. Shaka to Texas).

On one of these threads I posted a story about how the NBA level recruits aren't looking to play Shaka's signature defense and Shaka's main weakness is half court offense (as noted about it's not half court defense). I'd rather have my coach working out his offense than his defense and if he went back to havoc it could solve some of he problems.

Actually, he has been pretty horrendous. Before tonight's game it had been 18 days since Texas scored more than 58 points. They've scored less than 60...9 times. 9 times, Bueller. Compared to Barnes, Shaka's tenure has been an unmitigated disaster. He's Charlie Strong 2.0. And after Strong failed replacing a legend that had seemed past his prime at the time, he moved on and failed again at USF. I fear the same here. Seems to me he's more likely to continue the Tx tend than recapture the magic. And, by the way, his VCU run is overrated too...do a deep dive on that and you'll see what I mean. Other than that one magical run, he's really meh.

He would have likely been fired by now because he wasn't ready.

Please. All you know is the facts that played out. UNCG rose for hiring Miller. Wake didn’t hire him and tanked.

What will happen in the 20s?

It’s true. If Wake had hired Miller 10 years ago, we could now have the 3rd best program in the Southern Conference!

Meanwhile in Austin . . .

Actually, he has been pretty horrendous. Before tonight's game it had been 18 days since Texas scored more than 58 points. They've scored less than 60...9 times. 9 times, Bueller. Compared to Barnes, Shaka's tenure has been an unmitigated disaster. He's Charlie Strong 2.0. And after Strong failed replacing a legend that had seemed past his prime at the time, he moved on and failed again at USF. I fear the same here. Seems to me he's more likely to continue the Tx tend than recapture the magic. And, by the way, his VCU run is overrated too...do a deep dive on that and you'll see what I mean. Other than that one magical run, he's really meh.

Smart has definitely failed in comparison to Barnes, which is both a testament to Smart's performance and that Barnes is a great coach - arguably a better coach than Wake has had in its history. Is that the bar? haha. Look, Smart hasn't been very good at Texas. Which, by the way, is why he'll be available. In no way was his run at VCU overrated, though. I live in Richmond and I've seen firsthand the level of interest in the basketball program over the last 13 years - sort of the inverse of Wake Forest. He took what Anthony Grant (and to a lesser extent Caple (yuck)) built and did for VCU much what Prosser did for Wake - won games and got people excited. Smart also helped VCU successfully transition to a bigger and more lucrative conference. That can't be argued. Clearly nobody gives a shit about basketball now at Texas. He needs to own that, too.

Whatever, I'm done defending Smart. We'll see how he does at his next gig. I'm clearly more optimistic than some here. There are coaches I'd clearly prefer to Smart at this point. Let's not pretend any coach that's realistically available doesn't have significant downside risk, though, including Beilein who'll be 68 next year. I'm just curious who you folks will be excited about once Matta, Beilein, et. al say no?

We should hire Shaka Smart and transition to a bigger conference.

Should have known that the tweet had already been posted. Crazy how the shine has come off of Shaka.

This morning's sports journalism mostly rank Beilein's options as follows:

1. Texas
2. Indiana
3. Wake Forest

I don't think Archie Miller will get fired by Indiana. This means Beilein will likely be choosing between Texas and Wake Forest.

Back